IGNORED

Magnavox Odyssey AC Adapter

Atari2008

I have the original Odyssey (the one released in 1972), and I was wondering since the original AC adapters are a bit hard to find, is it compatible with any other AC adapter? I'm fine using the batteries but figured it would be better to just plug it into an outlet rather than cause any wear and tear to the battery compartment.

20 hours ago, CatPix said:

Most likely one form an Atari 2600 should do as the 9V jack power supply was kinda universal in the 70's but it's always best to check out any peculiarities the Odyssey might have.

Funny I was thinking the Atari 2600 one would be a good candidate, but exactly I'm going to find out the exact specs of the original power supply to be sure. Think I might actually have the opportunity to play the Odyssey with someone instead of me just testing it out solo to make sure it works.  

The original magnavox odyssey is

INPUT 117 VAC 50/60HZ

OUTPUT 9 volts 400ma 

3.5mm mono headphone jack.

Tip positive for polarity 

I'm fairly certain that's what it is I'm at work still so i can't double check my adapter right now.

2600 is 9VDC 500ma with tip positive polarity. So use the 2600 ac adapter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

Yep, it's a good match. Don't midn the "extra" milliamps in the Atari power supply; it's a neglectible amount first, and second, electrical devices only use what they need.

I was wondering about the extra milliamps, thank you for clarifying! Looks like the jack is a bit smaller than the tip of the 2600 power supply but perhaps I can find something comparable that will fit now that I know the specs.