IGNORED

Video: Atari 65XE Total Restoration

llopis

This Atari 65XE didn't look too bad on the outside, but the inside was a complete nightmare: dust, rust, dirt, insects, spider webs, and even some kind of cocoons! Where did this poor Atari come from, the trash?? I actually had to use hydrochloric acid to remove the massive rust stains on the bottom case. All in all it came out really well, especially when I get the keyboard membrane ?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Impressive work, especially with the RF shield. I was shouting "throw it away". It was surprising that the electronics were actually in good shape.

In some C64 restoration videos the youtuber removes and throws away the RF shields (whatever their condition) and gets a lot of flack as a result.

Gonna have to get myself some of that Galvanizing spray paint... That's totally the finishing touch for the shield!

Good on you for quickly walking away from DIY repair of the keyboard membrane... I spent too much time and money on cleaning & conductive paints that never worked before just replacing the mylars with new ones... INSTANT FIX. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks everybody! I almost threw away the RF shields (I always throw away the silvery cardboard C64 ones), but with the XL computers I had in the past, they actually made a big difference in the RF video quality. So I decided to give them a try just in case they were salvageable.

The spray I used was marketed as "galvanizing zinc spray". Specifically for cold temperatures. They have them available in any hardware store. I didn't find any good hits on the Amazon US store, so maybe it's called something else over there. Here's the link to the Spanish store just in case it helps as a reference:

https://www.amazon.es/CRC-30713-AA-Spray-400-ml/dp/B00U1J1AYU

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your video! I found it very interesting and also very instructive!

To fix the mylar, have you tried to solder copper filaments to reestablish the conduct? Some friends here in Chile have used that technique, and it worked quite well. Of course the best solution is to buy a brand new one, but at least you could make it functioning until it arrives the new mylar.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, manterola said:

OK. that's interesting... I tried to glue wire filaments and kind of work but it was not great. How do you solder to the Mylar without burning the plastic?  (con mucho cuidado?)

To be honest, I don't know exactly, but I can imagine that wire tape should do the trick. And, obviously, CON MUCHO CUIDADO!!