IGNORED

7800 HDMI mod

Skarrj

I made a post long ago about an issue with my 7800.  It only displays Black and white, and yellow.   The issue appears to be with the RF modulator. 

I found someone that can mod the 7800 to use AV and HDMI, I am wondering if this would essentially fix the problem of color loss.

8 minutes ago, Skarrj said:

I found someone that can mod the 7800 to use AV and HDMI, I am wondering if this would essentially fix the problem of color loss.

The effect depends a lot on the type of HDMI converter used. All such conversions very likely use a generic composite to HDMI converter hardwired into the machine and will have whatever lag that converter has.

14 minutes ago, Skarrj said:

I made a post long ago about an issue with my 7800.  It only displays Black and white, and yellow.   The issue appears to be with the RF modulator. 

As @slx stated, there are not any true HDMI solutions on the 7800 or 2600. All such mods you see are using a composite or s-video to HDMI converter and wiring it all up internally into the console. So the image quality is still the same as what you get from Composite or s-video on the HDMI. All the converters I've seen introduce several frames of lag in the signal. Many of them will give you a fully stretched 16:9 image as well that can only be compensated by your TV if it allows you to. And on the few that I've removed for other members here and installed UAVs etc into, there was also a startup delay on the video. So on most 7800 games, you never saw the rainbow startup because the converter had a few seconds of no video while it was locking in and booting up. Since the converter is wired into the consoles power system, the converter has to boot up each time you power cycle the 7800 or 2600 system and again that presents a few seconds of no video.

• Like 1

For optimum quality you'll probably need UAV and a RetroTink converter that is not cheap but pretty delay-less. As it uses separate power you won't have the mentioned boot-up blanking either.

I have to admit that I would have all that stuff but the UAV isn't installed and so I play through RF....

7 minutes ago, slx said:

For optimum quality you'll probably need UAV and a RetroTink converter that is not cheap but pretty delay-less. As it uses separate power you won't have the mentioned boot-up blanking either.

I have to admit that I would have all that stuff but the UAV isn't installed and so I play through RF....

Several other AA members use this exact method to play their UAV modded 7800s. I do as well only I don't have a Retrotink2x. I use my Extron 7SC and use the VGA out from it into my OSSC then to my TV via HDMI.

• Like 1