IGNORED

Wiiware games from the wii u eshop?

xucaen

I don't have my Wii u yet and I'm doing some research. I've been searching the internet for some information about this, but the information I'm finding is inconsistent so I'm not sure what to believe. can someone with an actual Wii u let me know if Wiiware games are available on the Wii u eShop? I found several places that said they were available in Wii mode but then I found other places that said they weren't available. ✌️ Cheers!

They are not available. If you go to the WiiWare section of the shop, only two things are available: the patch for Skyward Sword, and the system transfer tool.

You can still access (and re-download) games that you've already purchased, but you can't buy anything new.

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2020 at 12:13 PM, xucaen said:

I found several places that said they were available in Wii mode but then I found other places that said they weren't available. ✌️ Cheers!

Yeah, they are available in Wii mode, but they've closed the eShop down, so you can't make any purchases anymore.

Just now, xucaen said:

Where would I get the Wiiware have if I modded my Wii? ?

Online somewhere... do a search for something like "WiiWare games download" and you should find them.

3 minutes ago, xucaen said:

Question: can a modded Wii still play GameCube games? Because I'm thinking about getting a bunch of GC games.

Yeah it should... console mods like this should not stop physical games from working. Now I've only modded my PSP but that still plays retail games. You'd think most console softmod creators would make sure to not remove features from the unmodded console.

Ha ha. I actually did Google that a few weeks ago which led me to research the Wii U. The thing with Google is they tailor search result for the individual. So while you get one set of search results l get a different set. Very annoying.

9 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Online somewhere... do a search for something like "WiiWare games download" and you should find them.

Yes i actually did search for that a few weeks ago.

9 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Yeah it should

I just googled that too. Google is so weird. Some days i get bad results and some days i get good results. Now Google tells me I'd have to "back up" my GameCube disc to SD card and play it that way on softmodded Wii. ?

On 3/2/2020 at 7:46 AM, xucaen said:

Ha ha. I actually did Google that a few weeks ago which led me to research the Wii U. The thing with Google is they tailor search result for the individual. So while you get one set of search results l get a different set. Very annoying.

The Filter Bubble :(

On 3/1/2020 at 10:01 PM, xucaen said:

Question: can a modded Wii still play GameCube games? Because I'm thinking about getting a bunch of GC games.

Yes!

• 2 months later...

Gamecube game support:

Original Wii can do GC back support, via a special IOS called MIOS.  This feature is not present in the Wii-U. As such, the Wii-U cannot boot a GC game disc (without being hacked with HBC first.)

However, Nintendont will work (using dumped ISO images of GC game disks stored on either USB or SDcard) on either A Wii-U (in vWii mode), or a Wii. It does this by wrapping the GC code calls to IOS native calls, which allows it access to USB ports and other fun things. (like using the WiiMote controllers with things like the classic controller plugged in, etc.)

On the original Wii, there was a modification that replaced the stock MIOS IOS, and doing it would render the console unable to start original GC discs. (It was called MIOS-DIOS).  It is not a recommended modification in this day and age, as Nintendont totally works just fine with basically every GC game.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Yeah it should... console mods like this should not stop physical games from working. Now I've only modded my PSP but that still plays retail games. You'd think most console softmod creators would make sure to not remove features from the unmodded console.

In fact, you should be able to play more games, like foreign games, if it's modded correctly.