IGNORED

Macintosh Performas

SSG

Anyone here play or collect Mac Performas? I have a Performa 550 and 6213CD. I cant seem to figure out how to burn games to disc to play with the old ones? Is there a special format? I have a G4 Tower to my disposal. Unsure.

Thanks

Sage

10 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

I've got a 636 (same as LC 630, essentially a Quadra 630 with a gimped CPU).

I think it's picky about boot CDs.  Otherwise I think CDs are just raw HFS filesystems?  Don't quote me.

I think it is HFS: however, I haven't found a way to format them to that. My newer macs all have the newer HFS format.

If the disc does not need to be read by anything but a mac, then go ahead and create a disk volume in an emulator, such as Basilisk II, using OS7. Put your files on that.  .HFV files like that can be burned straight up like they were ISO files.

Something like hfv explorer may also be of help.

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/hfvexplorer

Edited by wierd_w

I hit a roadblock with my old Mac cause I have no way to open .sit files which most of the games seemed to be archived in that format. I know it's Stuffit Expander but I can't open them on my PC (don't want to buy a modernish Mac just to be able to open them) since it can't recognize the files inside. Would I be able to use an emulator the expand them?

2 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Yes you can (and should) use an emulator. They're just files. 

This should tell you enough to get going. 
https://macintoshgarden.org/guides

So is it possible to then burn them to a disc using an emulator on a Windows PC and load them on a real machine?

Oh, I'm not sure about that. CDs maybe. Floppies would need compatible hardware. 

Is there something in particular you want to try, or is the goal just "run a whole bunch of stuff on my beige boxes?"

Loading stuff over a network might be easier than futzing around creating media. Old-time Mac networking is quirky but simple, especially if you have an Ethernet port. 

• Like 1

Basilisk II allows low-level scsi pass through, and raw CDRom accesses.  this means Mac burning software can control a physical burner.  However, that is not necessary, since you can use the emulated mac burning software to make a burnable cdrom image, and extract it from the emulated mac's .HFV file with hfv explorer, then burn it in whatever software is native.

Same for unstuffing things with stuffit.

• Like 2