IGNORED

cassette-only games, recommendations?

eegad

I was just wondering if there are any good games (for NTSC machines) that were only ever released on cassette. Most stuff was released on both tape and cart/disk in the early 80s, but some were cassette only. Any recollections of such games that are still worthy of playing today?  I'm wondering if there are any gems that I may have missed simply because they were only on cassette. If I go to Atarimania for example, yeah I can find many that only show a tape dump available....but rather than download and try a ton at random I figured I'd ask for any recommendations.

>cassette audio.

I had one or two back in the day that did that. But not what I'm looking for here. The reason I was asking about cassette-only games is that I wanted to D/L a few to try with an sdrive-max....just to see if it works as claimed for .cas images.  But why download games that I know about and already have as atr/xex? So I figured I'd ask and see if there was any cassette-only releases that I somehow missed...a chance to maybe play something from 1981 that I'd never seen before.

I don't think it is a cassette-only game, but some cassette games play music from the audio track while the game is loading.  Zeppelin is a good example. Of course there were all of the educational cassettes that depended on the audio track. However I don't believe the the .cas format supports the audio track at this time.

I do suspect most US releases weren't tape exclusive.  Disk drives were most affordable there especially after about 1982.

UK, Aus and Europe different story, I paid about $450 even in 1984 for my first 1050 which was only a little less than an 800XL at the time.

Plenty of UK releases esp budget titles were on tape and probably no other format.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:51 PM, eegad said:

>cassette audio.

I had one or two back in the day that did that. But not what I'm looking for here. The reason I was asking about cassette-only games is that I wanted to D/L a few to try with an sdrive-max....just to see if it works as claimed for .cas images.  But why download games that I know about and already have as atr/xex? So I figured I'd ask and see if there was any cassette-only releases that I somehow missed...a chance to maybe play something from 1981 that I'd never seen before.

I‘d suppose British budget releases are your best bet. You should be able to use the advanced search on Atarimania to look for those specifically. 

On 3/2/2020 at 4:08 AM, slx said:

All programs that used the cassette audio to present something. Invitation to Programming, Language Courses, and maybe SCRAM. 

Right. PDI educational titles made much use of this. Search Atarimania for PDI.

When I worked there I had a tour of the tape duplicator's factory. I recall a large spool of tape with many copies of the master duped at high speed. There was a special audio cutting signal marker in between each copy for the machine that fed the cassettes.

Also I sat in on a recording session with a professional voice actor who happened to be my sister.

• Like 3