IGNORED

The PS5 Thread

I'm thinking that I will probably skip the PS5, at least at launch. I'm not done with PS4 yet, but the constant updates, huge file sizes, HD upgrades (I have 2TB HDs, one internal and one external), it turns me off a bit.

Maybe in the near future, there will be a "killer game" that I want, then I will change my mind.

I have been Sony follower since the beginning, I got all of them, but for now I will stop.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Spriggy said:

> SSD: Custom SSD drive with more raw bandwidth than any SSD for PCs

At the time Mark Cerny teased the PS5 specs,  the fastest SSDs on the PC market were NVMe generation 3.   Speculation is that PS5 will be using the new generation 4 rather than something custom.

17 hours ago, amiman99 said:

I'm thinking that I will probably skip the PS5, at least at launch. I'm not done with PS4 yet

This is how I feel too.  I haven't bought a console at launch since... Hmm.... well ever I guess.  The closest was the Wii, but that was a few months later when I could actually get one.  I haven't seen a 'must have' launch title since SMW on the SNES, most of the time they're either rushed and don't show the console's real potential or they're simply last generation titles that were moved over to the new console.  I generally wait a year or two until there's something I must have that isn't on the old console too.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tempest said:

This is how I feel too.  I haven't bought a console at launch since... Hmm.... well ever I guess.  The closest was the Wii, but that was a few months later when I could actually get one.  I haven't seen a 'must have' launch title since SMW on the SNES, most of the time they're either rushed and don't show the console's real potential or they're simply last generation titles that were moved over to the new console.  I generally wait a year or two until there's something I must have that isn't on the old console too.  

Uncharted on Vita was really something when the Vita launched in 2011. Of course, it's easy to do better than that now on phones and stuff, but at the time it was very impressive.

I'll wait for a while to see what the PS5 brings for exclusives and buy it only for those if they are good enough. Everything else goes on PC or Switch if it doesn't really benefit from being on PC. A good example is the Castlevania collection that released about a year ago. No difference on PC/PS4/Switch = I got the Switch version just so I can play it in bed while being super lazy!

I have to disagree with you @Tempest only because Super Mario 64 and SoulCalibur exist. ;)

I feel like I'm the same boat as most of you: not in a huge hurry to have a PS5.  I waited about 2 years before buying a PS3 due to the price, and it worked out great because, during that time, Sony released the DS3 instead of the crappy Sixaxis it originally shipped with.  Waited about a year to buy a PS4 simply due finishing games on PS3 and a lack of must-have early titles.

I don't think PS5 launch will be any different.

With the exception of the Wii, none of my consoles have been bought at launch. I only just got the PS4 not even two years ago so I've no doubt I will wait on the PS5. Heck, I have a PS4 Pro but still use a 1080P TV with my systems in the game room. So going to the next step would require having to not only get a 4k TV but I would have to upgrade some of my AV setup as well.

As for the space concerns. I've not had that issue with either my PS3 or the PS4. Probably because I buy most of my stuff in physical form and they do install stuff to the drive, but not as much I've found. Then again, I only have about 30 or so games for the PS4 at this time and I still have like over half of my 1TB of space left? I have about 90 PS3 games and I only have a 500gb SSD in my PS3 and it still has quite a bit of space left on it as well.

I'm sure if I went or had mostly digital, this would be a different story but I can't really 'collect' digital...LOL 

11 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

8k.  There is no 5k.

Apple has something they call 5K.  I assumed it also applied to TVs.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMUB2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

10 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

And 4k looks so much better.

Meh.  It looks a little more detailed, but not extraordinarily so.  At least to me. I think we're finally reaching the point of diminishing returns.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

But then jt will look crappy.  Like somebody tried hooking up an xbox to a black and white tv once.  Awful. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-modern-games-look-beautiful-on-crt-monitors

Edited by Steven Pendleton
Wrong URL
  • Like 2

Honestly if the only thing to make these new systems next gen is the fact that they can run at 60fps at 4k but still basically the looks the same graphically, then that isn't really next gen. To be next gen needs to bring something more than higher resolution and faster frames. I know that ray tracing has been mentioned, but we have had access to rtx tech for a year and still only a small number of games even support some feature of it. To say nothing of the performance hit it puts on games when using it. I have a 2070super in my rig overclocked to near 2080 speeds and I still only get about 30 - 40fps in Quake II RTX at 1440p. And that is the only game I even have that I can play with RTX stuff LOL!

@Tempest is pretty much correct about being at the point of diminshing returns. I have a 4k TV in the living room but because we are sitting about 10ft from it, it doesn't look that much different than the 1080p we had before it. And we have a 75" TV. If I stand up close to it within about 5ft or so, then yeah I can see the improved clarity it provides. But on the couch it looks pretty close to 1080p did on the old 65" we had before it.

In fact the only think 4k gives me and the reason we buy up UHD versions of the movies is because my wife and I have noticed a decrease in the video quality when watching standard blu-ray or 1080p content that is upscaled on the TV. Not as bad as DVD used to look, but a similar effect.

6 hours ago, Agamon said:

8k is not going to be consumer friendly. You either need at least a 90 inch screen, or sit a foot away from the screen to see the difference from 4k. Our eyes can't tell the difference in resolution otherwise.

Yes:

sitzabstaende_420951.png

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

22 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

But then jt will look crappy.  Like somebody tried hooking up an xbox to a black and white tv once.  Awful. 

Don't be stupid. 1080p still looks excellent and it will continue to do so. Having a 4K display will help the experience no doubt, but it's far from the entire point of upgrading. Also, "looking good" isn't simply about visual resolution. It's also about how much a machine can throw around on screen at once without dropping frames or slowing down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1