IGNORED

The PS5 Thread

4 minutes ago, zzip said:

Do you think the PS4's potential wasn't reached?   I don't think that will be an issue with a playstation console, since they always sell well and are well supported, unlike the systems you list.

Not so much the Vanilla model, but the PS4 PRO, which Sony were telling us was the result of developers wanting more processing power for PS VR titles. 

Whilst PS VR has continued to be supported, I never saw a sudden rush of development support for VR games after the Pro was released and have Sony said anything about plans for VR on PS5? 

I'd of liked to of seen the extra processing power of the PS4 used in the realm of more believable A. I, compared to PS3 in games, but marketing can't sell a title on that. 

What exactly IS the upgrade path if you own a title on PS4 and then upgrade to the PS5?. 

Is it title specific? 

Friend of mine said Sony have already confirmed people who already own Spider-Man 1 on PS4 will NOT get the upgraded PS5 version for free! (Unlike numerous Xbox games and some EA 

I've not touched a Spiderman title since the PS2, so haven't been following. 

1 minute ago, Lost Dragon said:

Not so much the Vanilla model, but the PS4 PRO, which Sony were telling us was the result of developers wanting more processing power for PS VR titles.

I was annoyed that the Pro existed at first.   Seemed like the kind of thing that would split platforms, but I think Sony handled it as well as they could, and the pro didn't get any exclusives, but all games had to have pro enhancements.

But as I recall, the justification from Sony for the Pro was 4K (Sony does sell TVs)  and keeping players from jumping to PC.   There was lots of speculation in the community that it was for VR, but I don't remember Sony saying that was the reason.

8 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

and have Sony said anything about plans for VR on PS5? 

They've dropped hints about the next gen of VR.   And they've said the current headset will be compatible.   Problem is VR is kinda of niche.   The people who love it really love it, but it hasn't found a killer app to pull in a large quantity of users.   Closest thing is Beat Saber.   We are getting VR minecraft and a couple of Star Wars games this year, and that should help.   But I wonder how much patience Sony has for it to take off?   On the other hand if it ever does really take off, Sony will want to dominate it and not cede the market to Facebook/Oculus

@zzip :

It was back when the Pro was known as the Neo

https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/publishing/ps4-neo-exists-because-playstation-vr-was-going-to-be-terrible-on-a-launch-ps4/

I remember Sony then promoting the Pro as the system for HDR and 4K Televisions and saying it was upto developers how and where they used the raw power, an approach they offered with PS2 and PS3. 

So the affordable home VR experiment from Sony has fared better than say motion control and 3D TV gaming, but never found the legs to be a pivotal focus for the PS5? 

Would that be a fair appraisal? 

Love the PS4, but I would have bought a PS5 for backward compatibility with the PS1 - PS4.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/sony-makes-it-official-playstation-5-wont-natively-support-ps1-ps2-ps3/

And with this news, I'll be staying with the PS4.

(Now the whole reason I bought the PS4 was for the new Bubsy games.  Soooo we'll see how future releases go.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost Dragon said:

That's anonymous-sourced, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.   For the most part VR is fine on the orignal playstation.   Sure there are some games that could use more power.   We also now have Oculus Quest, which is significantly weaker than the PS4, but people love it.

1 hour ago, Lost Dragon said:

So the affordable home VR experiment from Sony has fared better than say motion control and 3D TV gaming, but never found the legs to be a pivotal focus for the PS5? 

Would that be a fair appraisal? 

It's by far the best supported "Console Peripheral" I've ever seen.   It has a library of several hundred titles by now, including some really good stuff.   Sony has never really put it front and center,  they said it would be slow adoption.   It also combines motion gaming and 3D gaming in a way that feels much less gimmicky than those technologies on their own.   A lot of people have predicted from the start that Sony would abandon it like they abandoned the Vita, but so far they haven't.   Still it's hard to know what the future will bring

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

That's anonymous-sourced, so I'll take it with a grain of salt.   For the most part VR is fine on the orignal playstation.   Sure there are some games that could use more power.   We also now have Oculus Quest, which is significantly weaker than the PS4, but people love it.

It's by far the best supported "Console Peripheral" I've ever seen.   It has a library of several hundred titles by now, including some really good stuff.   Sony has never really put it front and center,  they said it would be slow adoption.   It also combines motion gaming and 3D gaming in a way that feels much less gimmicky than those technologies on their own.   A lot of people have predicted from the start that Sony would abandon it like they abandoned the Vita, but so far they haven't.   Still it's hard to know what the future will bring

I'd love to try it, just for Battlezone and Wipeout, but it's too pricey. 

26 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

? Hmmn..

Given the amount of HD collections of old PS2 games that appeared on PS3

PS1 Medievil Remake on PS4 

Things like F. F. 7 and Resident Evil Remakes on PS4... 

A lot of publishers might not see this as bad news, but more an opportunity in the making. 

I won the direct from Sony lottery and was able to preorder a disc-based console, spare controller, and hd web cam. Going disc not for games but because it'll be my main living room driver and I still watch dvd's and blu ray. When I finally go 4k some year maybe 4k blu ray (movie nerd). Spare controller in case one breaks or for two player, the web cam cuz i stream some and also because it isn't yet clear whether PSVR will work on PS5, and if so, whether the new web cam is required for use. 

Total sunk cost: $670. Includes "free Launch Day delivery" but we'll see. :)

7 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

If it only had more titles like this.. 

Wipeout

Battlezone 

The on-rails horror game from Until Dawn developer.. they all sound ideal VR titles, but 3 isn't enough to justify getting one ?

There's a lot more than this.   These are all widely considered to be great:

Astrobot (Mario 64 style platformer)  widely considered to be one of the best VR games on any platform

Beat Saber (fun rhythm game)

Resident Evil 7

Firewall Zero Hour (Rainbow six siege like game)

Skyrim (graphics supposedly not great on non-pro)

Moss (3rd person puzzle/platformer with great graphics -- 3rd person games work better in VR than most people expect)

Superhot (a shooter with a twist)

Job Simuator/Vacation Simulator

Dreams (create your own VR content, or play what others have made)

Blood and Truth

Pixel ripped 1989

Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners

Borderlands 2

Everybody's Golf VR

Ghost Giant.

No Man's Sky

Some personal favorites that don't make the "best-of" lists:

Pinball FX2 (closest thing to playing a real pinball machine)

Vader Immortal

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zzip said:

There's a lot more than this.   These are all widely considered to be great:

Astrobot (Mario 64 style platformer)  widely considered to be one of the best VR games on any platform

Beat Saber (fun rhythm game)

Resident Evil 7

Firewall Zero Hour (Rainbow six siege like game)

Skyrim (graphics supposedly not great on non-pro)

Moss (3rd person puzzle/platformer with great graphics -- 3rd person games work better in VR than most people expect)

Superhot (a shooter with a twist)

Job Simuator/Vacation Simulator

Dreams (create your own VR content, or play what others have made)

Blood and Truth

Pixel ripped 1989

Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners

Borderlands 2

Everybody's Golf VR

Ghost Giant.

No Man's Sky

Some personal favorites that don't make the "best-of" lists:

Pinball FX2 (closest thing to playing a real pinball machine)

Vader Immortal

Never been a fan of Super Mario 64,but loved Jumping Flash. 

Hammered Skyrim on 360 years ago. 

Completed Resident Evil 7 on PS4, hated it. 

Not a golf fan.. 

So from the list, Firewall Zero Hour sounds the most promising. 

7 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Never been a fan of Super Mario 64,but loved Jumping Flash. 

Hammered Skyrim on 360 years ago. 

Completed Resident Evil 7 on PS4, hated it. 

Not a golf fan.. 

So from the list, Firewall Zero Hour sounds the most promising. 

The only game that I'd consider to be "great" on that list is Astrobot. It's one of the best games I've played on any system, ever. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, Mockduck said:

I won the direct from Sony lottery and was able to preorder a disc-based console, spare controller, and hd web cam. Going disc not for games but because it'll be my main living room driver and I still watch dvd's and blu ray. When I finally go 4k some year maybe 4k blu ray (movie nerd). Spare controller in case one breaks or for two player, the web cam cuz i stream some and also because it isn't yet clear whether PSVR will work on PS5, and if so, whether the new web cam is required for use. 

Total sunk cost: $670. Includes "free Launch Day delivery" but we'll see. :)

The old VR will work. For the old camera they will provide a free adaptor. (You need to request it though and Sony will provide the information...) You don't really need the new camera with the current VR set.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Some PS4 games are already over 8000 yen here, like Persona 5 The Royal, which is 8800 yen or something before tax. Add another 10% for tax and it becomes... whatever the hell 8800 + 10% is. $70 is cheaper than that, so...

Yeah this is nothing new. You can go on digital stores right now and see games above $70.

14 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

70 is a lot for just one game.

I rarely pay full retail price for a game.   It has to be something I really, really want.   Most games go on sale for half price within 6 mos,   even bigger sales if you wait longer.   Sometimes they come to PS+.    On PC,  EA, Ubisoft and GoG will give out a free game every so often.