IGNORED

The PS5 Thread

On 9/17/2020 at 5:01 PM, Lost Dragon said:

This is an aspect that i feel Sony have really messed up on. 

They showed tech demos of concepts in games that were only possible because of the PS5 SSD and they talk up the possibilities the soundchip in the PS5 has for games... 

Now it's become apparent some of the flagship titles are being built around the vanilla PS4 hardware, so i am guess the PS5 versions will simply be the same core game, just in a higher resolution and frame rate. 

I can appreciate Sony want to support the PS4 for a few years yet, but the studios should be building flagship titles that are only possible on Playstation 5.

Only speaking for myself, but these weren't system sellers for me, anyway.  Doing this only cemented that idea for me.

But this way, I'll pay full price for the games, instead of on deep discount when I finally get around to buying one.

I'm in no huge hurry to buy a PS5, but I will get one next year.  In the meantime, I'm having to rethink my whole entertainment center including buying a 4K tv and A/V receiver.

I've been trying to find some specifics about the HD audio side of PS5, and I'm coming up short.  Sony has not confirmed or denied (that I can find) that the PS5 will have Dolby Atmos support.  I know Sony has their proprietary Tempest 3D Audio technology for gaming, but I can't find if games will (also) support Atmos, or if only disc-based movies will support Atmos, or neither of the above.

Since I will need to buy a new A/V receiver, I have to wonder if it's really worth it to run video thru a receiver anymore?  It would only introduce lag and/or artifacts, and I believe the LG OLED I'm looking at would do any upscaling if needed (instead of the receiver).  I'm thinking a setup like this would work best:

PS5 --HDMI 2.1--> tv --HDMI 2.1--> soundbar or audio-only receiver

Any thoughts?

Edited by glazball

22 hours ago, glazball said:

I'm in no huge hurry to buy a PS5, but I will get one next year.  In the meantime, I'm having to rethink my whole entertainment center including buying a 4K tv and A/V receiver.

I've been trying to find some specifics about the HD audio side of PS5, and I'm coming up short.  Sony has not confirmed or denied (that I can find) that the PS5 will have Dolby Atmos support.  I know Sony has their proprietary Tempest 3D Audio technology for gaming, but I can't find if games will (also) support Atmos, or if only disc-based movies will support Atmos, or neither of the above.

Since I will need to buy a new A/V receiver, I have to wonder if it's really worth it to run video thru a receiver anymore?  It would only introduce lag and/or artifacts, and I believe the LG OLED I'm looking at would do any upscaling if needed (instead of the receiver).  I'm thinking a setup like this would work best:

Any thoughts?

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-wont-use-dolby-atmos-in-games-and-may-require-you-to-send-sony-a-picture-of-your-ears

No dolby atmos

On 9/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, glazball said:

Any thoughts?

You are going to be disappointed re: Atmos as Sony has its own thing going for the PS5 related to its 3D audio tech, so they are unlikely to support Atmos. However, your plan to go PS5 to Tv to Stereo should work just fine. 

4 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Thanks for the link and responses!  I've seen that link from March, but I'm afraid it still doesn't answer my question.  PS5 will not support Dolby Atmos in games.  I'm curious if the PS5 will output Dolby Atmos at all, for instance from a 4K Blu-ray, and I cannot find a definitive answer yet :(  I may just have to wait a few more weeks for a hands-on review.

Re PS5-TV-stereo chain: I just found out that eARC does not support TrueHD (again from a 4K BD for example) so I will eventually have to get a new AV receiver to go full audiophile.  2021 is going to be expensive!

Edited by glazball

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ok with the $70 games.. makes them $90 Canadian for me... add tax and they will be a cool $100 and change.  I got a disc based PS5 as I will resell my games after I'm done and recoup some of the cost... it's rare that I want to keep a game after I've finished with it.  There are exceptions but 90% of the current gen games are play and sell... it's why I don't go digital in the first place.  Sure I'll grab some indie games from time to time but I'm also spending a lot less on those.

I'm looking forward to the next generation and I'm hoping to be playing some Gran Turismo in 2021... I skipped GTSport.  Never played Demon Souls so that'll be a launch play for me.  Looking forward to it.

I will get a set of headphones at some point... my 6 year old pair of Golds are finally starting to fall apart.  lol  They still work great but the covers on the cushions are peeling.  They'll work until I get the ps5 ones... man they sold really fast!

3 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

I'm ok with the $70 games.. makes them $90 Canadian for me... add tax and they will be a cool $100 and change.  I got a disc based PS5 as I will resell my games after I'm done and recoup some of the cost... it's rare that I want to keep a game after I've finished with it.  There are exceptions but 90% of the current gen games are play and sell... it's why I don't go digital in the first place.  Sure I'll grab some indie games from time to time but I'm also spending a lot less on those.

I'm looking forward to the next generation and I'm hoping to be playing some Gran Turismo in 2021... I skipped GTSport.  Never played Demon Souls so that'll be a launch play for me.  Looking forward to it.

I will get a set of headphones at some point... my 6 year old pair of Golds are finally starting to fall apart.  lol  They still work great but the covers on the cushions are peeling.  They'll work until I get the ps5 ones... man they sold really fast!

100 a game is toi much.  5 is the cost of the system.  10 is double the cost of the system.  I am sorry, but games should not cost more than the system.

Here's the list of incompatible Playstation 4 games at launch.

• DWVR
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner

Much better then feared at one time.

And while they've already said this before, I know there was some doubt about it; They've reaffirmed that specialty controllers like PS4 racing wheels and arcade sticks will be PS4 and PS5 compatible (Unlike our Dual Shock 4's that will only be usable on PS5 with PS4 games).

Edited by Atariboy

56 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

• DWVR
  • Just Deal With It!
  • We Sing
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner

And while they've already said this before, I know there was some doubt about it; They've reaffirmed that specialty controllers like PS4 racing wheels and arcade sticks will be PS4 and PS5 compatible (Unlike our Dual Shock 4's that will only be usable on PS5 with PS4 games).

My kid says those games suck and he doesn't own or play any of them so it's all good in my house for PS5 game compatibility. Now if it was Call Of Duty, GTA, Fortnite or Minecraft? That would be a problem.

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

• DWVR
  • Just Deal With It!
  • We Sing
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner

I didn't know that any of those games even existed, so no loss, I suppose. I did look for the Japanese list of incompatible games last night but couldn't find it. Maybe I'll look again later.

7 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I didn't know that any of those games even existed, so no loss, I suppose. I did look for the Japanese list of incompatible games last night but couldn't find it. Maybe I'll look again later.

Exactly. Those titles are nothing. Hitman Go being the only one that might be anything at all. The rest? Who cares.

Shadow Complex was well received. One of the most popular Xbox Live Arcade releases. Popular enough to be remastered and rereleased on this generation of consoles. So while I don't personally care, some will be slightly sad about this one. I think We Sing is popular too, albeit with the Just Dance crowd and such (i.e., not people like ourselves).

I do want to buy TT Isle of Man 2 though, but was going to buy the Xbox One version anyways. Amazing circuit that they race on there in real life and apparently it's very faithfully reproduced here. Not normally playing motorcycle racers, but want to give this one a try someday. I doubt many will be missing it though.

But even if all 10 were huge hits, let's face it, the list is a total of 10 games long. So much better than what folks were worried about when Sony came out in March and said that almost all of the PS4's top 100 hits would be playable at launch. Not only did they do that, but virtually everything else will also be here (Which people reading between the lines in that March statement feared wouldn't be the case).

Long running consoles have gotten system revisions with worse compatibility with their own library than this system will have right out the gate with PS4 games.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

The ssd is soldered on so not upgradable.  So after its done so am I.  Hard pass.

We can see a simple scenario where Sony can avoid rendering the console useless should the internal SSD inevitably fail. If users are allowed the option to install the OS on the aforementioned secondary M.2 PCIe 4.0 slot, then the rest of the system would be salvaged.

https://support.asia.playstation.com/jajp/s/article/ans-jajp00004#02

Found the Japanese compatibility list. Interesting that it has less games listed, not because of the ones from the US site not being localized, but because of the number of Japan-only games. There are these disclaimers, though

※ PS4 専用のゲームは国や地域によって異なります。
※このタイトルリストは変更される可能性がございます。また、体験版、メディア系サービス、ゲーム以外のアプリケーションは含まれません。

Although the first one is rally nothing to worry about, of course, since it's pretty obvious. Of course, they also can't guarantee any PS4 games that have not been released yet will work, either.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Although the first one is rally nothing to worry about, of course, since it's pretty obvious. Of course, they also can't guarantee any PS4 games that have not been released yet will work, either.

I read and heard on several podcasts that future PS4 games are to be compatible with the PS5 before they are released.  I believe it was effective with all releases after July 2020.  Although... in the great scheme of things, it doesn't impact on my decision to get a PS5 or not.  If there's a PS4 game I need to play, I still have a PS4.  If anything, there's time now before the PS5 comes out that I could finish playing those incompatible games and trade them in.  Lol  I don't tend to keep games when I'm done with them.

I'm sympathetic to the issue of SSD longevity, but let's not forget that virtually every component in a console outside of the rubber feet is a life limiting one. While disappointing that the internal SSD isn't user replaceable, it's far from being unique where the system's components are concerned. There easily could be a multitude of components inside the PS5 that prove over time to have a tendency to break and render the console inoperative before the internal SSD on average does, yet we don't go into home consoles expecting user replaceable motherboards and such. 

An option if money is no object is to buy an additional SSD drive and an external HDD drive to offload most of the storage work away from the built-in SSD drive. The PS5 comes with a NVMe SSD slot to expand the internal SSD storage and if you're going to play a lot of PS4 games on here, perhaps a nice external HDD for backwards compatible PS4 games to reserve your SSD space for the games that best take advantage of it. PS5 supports standard hard drives for BC games and we likely won't see transformative changes with PS4 load times if Digital Foundry's tests with BC games on the Series X with a similarly high tech SSD drive are any indication. 

One could easily take away ~95% of the wear and tear off the internal drive, but a comparable SSD drive is going to cost you (And apparently hasn't quite hit the marketplace just yet). So perhaps just compromise with a reasonably priced external HDD if you foresee doing a lot of PS4 gaming on your PS5.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:33 AM, 0078265317 said:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Playstation-5-soldered-825-GB-SSD-puts-a-hard-limit-on-the-lifespan-of-each-retail-unit.497370.0.html

The ssd is soldered on so not upgradable.  So after its done so am I.  Hard pass.

The M.2 internal SSD dock is for expansion of internal storage. Try using your head for more than a hat rack before posting such drivel. The amount of misinformation you post is just mind blowing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Nope, CPU's and GPU's can run safely max temps 95c / 203f, that is core temp. Though honestly I doubt this is the case, the recent tear down showing both liquid metal thermal paste and a HUGE fan to dissipate heat. Anyway, I would not put too much stock in that site for console info ?

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...