IGNORED

The PS5 Thread

Picked up my pre-ordered Digital PS5 today that I bought for my son for Xmas. He picked the diskless version cause he says the physical media is just a waste of time and space. Myself I want to physically own the games as I always have but this current generation of consoles clearly shows this will be the end of that era. It was a long time coming and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner to be honest.

28 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

Tried the Walmart thing today. No Dice. This is on the top of the wife’s list this year.

There wasn't any sold at any retail stores today that where not pre-ordered. Best of luck finding one on a store shelf before Xmas. It will be a real mission to do so. Secondary market is roughly double MSRP right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

There wasn't any sold at any retail stores today that where not pre-ordered. Best of luck finding one on a store shelf before Xmas. It will be a real mission to do so. Secondary market is roughly double MSRP right now.

Not true, Walmart did non-preorder sales online today, I had the finger on the button and it ended up in the cart.  Site exploded, back to cart, BANG.  Back to cart, checkout -> SOLD OUT.

There were 3 windows today, in increments of 3 hours on Walmart.com.  I tried the 6pm ET one, 3pm here.

• Like 1

Not true, Walmart did non-preorder sales online today, I had the finger on the button and it ended up in the cart.  Site exploded, back to cart, BANG.  Back to cart, checkout -> SOLD OUT.

There were 3 windows today, in increments of 3 hours on Walmart.com.  I tried the 6pm ET one, 3pm here.

Had the same experience myself. I’d love to hear from someone who actually got one from Walmart.com yesterday and how they did it.

15 hours ago, Shawn said:

Picked up my pre-ordered Digital PS5 today that I bought for my son for Xmas. He picked the diskless version cause he says the physical media is just a waste of time and space. Myself I want to physically own the games as I always have but this current generation of consoles clearly shows this will be the end of that era. It was a long time coming and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner to be honest.

Main problem with physical on the PS4 at least is it requires the disk in the drive to play the game.  For a system that supports remote play and VR, that becomes a real inconvenience.

I wonder why they don't sell games in stores with digital codes that tie it to your console,  that work just like digital games once installed?   That would make collectors happy who like their shelves of game boxes,  it would make people like me happy who won't need to insert the disc for each game.   Yeah you probably wouldn't be able to sell the games on the 2nd hand market, but you can't do that with digital games either.

Main problem with physical on the PS4 at least is it requires the disk in the drive to play the game.  For a system that supports remote play and VR, that becomes a real inconvenience.

I wonder why they don't sell games in stores with digital codes that tie it to your console,  that work just like digital games once installed?   That would make collectors happy who like their shelves of game boxes,  it would make people like me happy who won't need to insert the disc for each game.   Yeah you probably wouldn't be able to sell the games on the 2nd hand market, but you can't do that with digital games either.

That’s why I want a Disc drive. I’m not going to pay $70 for every new game. I’d rather pay 30-40$ used.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, adamchevy said:

That’s why I want a Disc drive. I’m not going to pay $70 for every new game. I’d rather pay 30-40$ used.

Digital sales are good enough that you can get big name games for $30 or less if you don't have to play them at launch.

I got Witcher 3 complete edition for $15.   Most Sony titles eventually go on sale for $20

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zzip said:

Digital sales are good enough that you can get big name games for $30 or less if you don't have to play them at launch.

I got Witcher 3 complete edition for $15.   Most Sony titles eventually go on sale for $20

Not only "at launch", but many months later. Many people have also forgotten that there were sales and bargain bins in traditional stores as well. The fact that you have to pay same price for a digital edition as you pay for physical (or sometimes even more :D), after decades of whining about brick and mortar mark ups, is an absolute joke. Though, when you consider that the likes of Steam, Google et al now also mark up 30%, maybe not so much.

This is why console physical editions are the last bastion of videogame media ownership. The PC lot likes to boast about this platform's "openness", whatever that means, but physical media, and so the second hand market has been all but eradicated there. I actually thought about buying Cyberpunk boxed edition, what with supporting DRM Free (which is, frankly, a meaningless concept now) and all that, only to learn that the "physical" edition will entail a box and a scrap of paper. F-that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zzip said:

I bought various games for my PS4 through the PlayStation store on sale that seemed to be cheaper than you can get at a physical store. It's so much easier to have the games ready to play without needing a disc shoved in. Whenever I can afford to get a PS5, I'll go disc-free.

A good friend of mine was sent an invite by Sony to preorder the PS5, and he got his console yesterday.  He has prepaid PS+ through 2024, and from what we can gather, Sony selected people who have done the same with the idea that those kinds of fans want the console instead of just trying to flip it for a profit.  I thought that was a very nice and smart gesture.

He is enjoying it but did mention that it froze up on him once yesterday.  He said he read that other PS5 users have had problems with freezing too, though I'm not sure how widespread it is.  That makes me worry a bit, but that's what you get for being an early adopter.  Myself, I've had optical drive problems/failures with every PS generation except PS4 (so far!) so I'll wait a year to pick one up, then keep it horizontal!  (My friend's is vertical.)

Edited by glazball

10 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Was like that with the classics and every other new system.  Even new xboxes are sold out everywhere.

As for the disk vs no disk debate.  Diskless is better if I did get one. Because I already have a separate LG 4K UHD player.  And cds/dvds dont last for ever.  Also less space with no discs to store.

1 hour ago, glazball said:

H is enjoying it but did mention that it froze up on him once yesterday.  He said he read that other PS5 users have had problems with freezing too, though I'm not sure how widespread it is.  That makes me worry a bit, but that's what you get for being an early adopter.

That is why I always wait.  First versions are always buggy.

Finally had the chance later last night to spend a few hours with the PS5. Figured I'd share a few thoughts. I won the direct-from-Sony lottery for day of delivery, maybe because I've been a registered user of their video game products since the PS1 and I prefer to think of my game library as an "alternative bank account" except you never get the money back.

- Setup was easy but tedious. Because Sony needs so many different sets of permissions and logins (if you are a wider consumer of tech and want to hook up things like Netflix, YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, your PSN account, etc), it literally took almost an hour of two factor authentications, agree screens, check box sub-menus, and Yes I really am ok with this's before I ever saw the home screen.

- Download speeds are much faster, which I think means Sony has decided to offer far more bandwidth to its download servers from the PS5. I'm guessing at least 100mb/sec as a full throttle download speed from PSN. I didn't hit that, but hit about 70mb/sec due to local internet.

- The controller rocks, flat out. The haptic stuff is really cool, and if it doesn't get annoying, it'll be sweet. Way better than the Dualshock 4, which was way better than the 3.

- The size of the console is overhyped. It's big and heavy, but fits just fine into my traditional console setup. By "traditional" I mean fits just fine in a space next to my stereo and other components. I was worried it'd not fit and have to go on top of the furniture or behind the TV. It is about 70% of the height of, and about the same depth and width as, the kind of audio/video receiver you'd pick up at a place like Best Buy. If your furniture can fit a stereo, it'll fit a PS5.

- Also, sadly, and maybe this will improve over time, but I think the load times are being a bit overhyped as well. The PS5 is very fast, but I still absolutely experienced load screens on the PS5-specific games I was playing. Less than the 4, but I feel like players were asked to accept longer load screens last gen. I had several cases of 10+ second load screens. It's certainly nice, and about as speedy as it gets nowadays, but it is not a revolution nor drop into a new paradigm in game design. It will certainly help with open world in-game load times, and hopefully studios will be able to take better advantage of the tech in the future.

So, I have been buying every Sony console since the OG, and will get years of great use out of the PS5. I am not sure that TODAY I would recommend someone who has a modern PC get one in order to have a revolutionary game experience. It overall felt more iterative than revolutionary. Also, unless there is a PS5-specific game you want to play, the library is super early days. In terms of PS5-only launch games, I had the most fun so far with the Astrobot platformer that teaches you about haptic feedback. If you have a 4k TV and want a console, obv. get either this or the xbox, and get the one you already have the most games for digitally. If you don't have a 4k TV I'd wait, as the PS4/One is still just fine. If you have a top PC that does 4k/60 and a good SSD, you probably won't see as huge a bump in cool factor, so maybe you can wait too. 

The BEST immediate stuff is the controller, the super-quiet running, the speedy SSD, and it being 4k/60 in general. 

Pic for size, also yes that is a DVD copy of Incubus the only movie written and shot entirely in Esperanto starring William Shatner

PS5Arrived.jpg

IMG_4814.JPG

14 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

That's just absurd... if not fake.  I can go on Amazon and grab a system for $1700 Canadian if I HAD TO HAVE IT!  lol

I will wait until the new year for a system as I cancelled my pre-order a month ago.  Figures... my son decided he wants a PS5 now...  just a couple weeks after I cancel the pre-order.  Oh well... I have current gen game to enjoy.  lol

On 11/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, glazball said:

A good friend of mine was sent an invite by Sony to preorder the PS5, and he got his console yesterday.  He has prepaid PS+ through 2024, and from what we can gather, Sony selected people who have done the same with the idea that those kinds of fans want the console instead of just trying to flip it for a profit.  I thought that was a very nice and smart gesture.

He is enjoying it but did mention that it froze up on him once yesterday.  He said he read that other PS5 users have had problems with freezing too, though I'm not sure how widespread it is.  That makes me worry a bit, but that's what you get for being an early adopter.  Myself, I've had optical drive problems/failures with every PS generation except PS4 (so far!) so I'll wait a year to pick one up, then keep it horizontal!  (My friend's is vertical.)

So was I,  I never got an email and all of the units are gone.  Sony really fucked up this launch. 

Edited by Dutchman2000
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 2:21 AM, CPUWIZ said:

OK, I should have said no direct "in store" purchases. As in they didn't have them on the shelves and if you walked in to Wally thinking you could buy one you came away with nothing. I read that Walmart did the same for the new Xbox the other day too. At least that is what the sign said at my local walmart today that was posted on the empty glass window where they will be in the future.

So was I,  I never got an email and all of the units are gone.  Sony really fucked up this launch. 

Fucked up is a nice way to say it. What launch? I had many of my friends and family members try and purchase a PS5 from multiple different sources over the past 3 days with no luck. I see others on the internet on many sites with a console. I’m not sure how they magically pulled it off.

It looks like Sony and Microsoft’s preferred business model is to allow bots to purchase most of their consoles and have them scalped on eBay. That seems to be their main hype/sales tool these days.