Jump to content
0078265317

The PS5 Thread

Recommended Posts

Sounds like limited PS4 backwards compatibility. They're optimistic of almost all of the top 100 PS4 games (Ranked by playtime) at launch being compatible, which suggests we're looking at something more akin to the PSTV's/Vita's whitelist rather than Microsoft's universal XB1 backwards compatibility on their upcoming Series X.

 

Might not be too bad for big retail games, especially if this hands on approach allows them to implement more enhancements than a generic approach would otherwise allow. But it doesn't suggest good things for smaller digital only releases like Hamster's Arcade Archives lineup and hundreds of other games. 

 

I'm still pretty early into being a PS4 and XB1 owner, so I suspect I'll be going with the XB1 version of some games I had planned otherwise on selecting the PS4 version of, since I know Microsoft is guaranteeing universal XB1 backwards compatibility (Sans Kinect exclusives). It's nice to have that guarantee that one of these days when I do acquire a Xbox Series X, everything that I can play on my Xbox One will be compatible out of the box. 

Edited by Atariboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two less teraflops than XBox RIP Sony!!!

 

*sigh*

 

Besides this seemingly prevalent fannish reaction, which I've seen pretty much everywhere, the thing I was most interested in by far was the state of backward compatibility... which frankly seems fairly preliminary. I was really hoping they would have everything (save maybe PS3) good to go right out of the box.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

Two less teraflops than XBox RIP Sony!!!

 

*sigh*

 

Besides this seemingly prevalent fannish reaction, which I've seen pretty much everywhere, the thing I was most interested in by far was the state of backward compatibility... which frankly seems fairly preliminary. I was really hoping they would have everything (save maybe PS3) good to go right out of the box.

Listening to Mark, they put a lot of focus into eliminating specific bottlenecks with custom hardware solutions.   That's why the SSD is so fast for instance, so it can load data into memory in real-time while playing a game, that will give developers more freedom.   it will be interesting to see how well that plays out in the real world.   Raw Teraflop numbers may be misleading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zzip said:

Listening to Mark, they put a lot of focus into eliminating specific bottlenecks with custom hardware solutions.   That's why the SSD is so fast for instance, so it can load data into memory in real-time while playing a game, that will give developers more freedom.   it will be interesting to see how well that plays out in the real world.   Raw Teraflop numbers may be misleading.

Absolutely, but try telling that to, well, anyone. MoRE FLOPS = MoRe FPS

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Agamon said:

I just want to know when Sony hired Dana Carvey.

Haha!   Mark Cerny is actually an old Atarian-  He created "Marble Madness" and worked on a few other Atari arcade games.   Now he designs Sony's consoles :)

 

 

mark.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not buying it at launch, but I really hope the controller doesn't have a stupid light that's always on. Pretty sure none of the PS4 games I play actually use the light, so the extra battery drain is pointless.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't stand in a long line for a PS5, but if it's true that the PS5 has eliminated the loading times we have had for decades, I will buy a PS5 when I can simply walk into a store and buy one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll wait. I'm considering waiting until the PS6 is announced and then getting a PS5 just for the exclusives, provided they are worth it. Unless of course there is something REALLY appealing and exclusive that comes out earlier, like if Kojima decided to make a PS5 exclusive game. In my case, it's 100% about exclusives that can't be played on any other system (by this I mean PC) and literally nothing else.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 10:40 PM, BawesomeBurf said:

I'm not buying it at launch, but I really hope the controller doesn't have a stupid light that's always on. Pretty sure none of the PS4 games I play actually use the light, so the extra battery drain is pointless.

VR uses it, and some non-VR games use it for effect-  different colors per controller,  flashing red and blue when the cops are coming..   but it should have been turned off until a game requests it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 2:40 AM, BawesomeBurf said:

I'm not buying it at launch, but I really hope the controller doesn't have a stupid light that's always on. Pretty sure none of the PS4 games I play actually use the light, so the extra battery drain is pointless.

It was put on primarily i believe to help the PS Camera track it in VR games, but like you, i have found it to be utterly unnecessary. 

 

A few games have used it to indicate my character is in poor health,  but that's about it.

 

I found the PS5 controller very gimmick laden and thus overly expensive to replace.

 

I hope Sony learnt from the PS4 thumbstick issues with PS5, as inexpensive as the push on protective covers are, it's annoying having them slip off during more intense games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I'll wait. I'm considering waiting until the PS6 is announced and then getting a PS5 just for the exclusives, provided they are worth it. Unless of course there is something REALLY appealing and exclusive that comes out earlier, like if Kojima decided to make a PS5 exclusive game. In my case, it's 100% about exclusives that can't be played on any other system (by this I mean PC) and literally nothing else.

There are some interesting rumours doing the rounds about Sony looking to license Silent Hill (for a reboot and bring Silent Hills to PS5), have Sony Japan do a Bloodborne esq Castlevania and have a PS5 exclusive Metal Gear Solid. 

 

If there's one thing that could make the PS5 and essential purchase for many, it will be it's exclusives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, zzip said:

Haha!   Mark Cerny is actually an old Atarian-  He created "Marble Madness" and worked on a few other Atari arcade games.   Now he designs Sony's consoles :)

 

 

mark.jpg

;-) He was also responsible for Knack on PS4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rumor that Spider-Man 2 is slated to come out holiday 2021 makes me grumble.  I guess I don't have to get the console and game right when they come out, but that was a lot quicker turn around then I was expecting. Sounds like they're reusing assets along with creating new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Agamon said:

The rumor that Spider-Man 2 is slated to come out holiday 2021 makes me grumble.  I guess I don't have to get the console and game right when they come out, but that was a lot quicker turn around then I was expecting. Sounds like they're reusing assets along with creating new ones.

They did this with Gran Turismo on PlayStation 3 didn't they?

 

 

Car models etc from the PlayStation 2 version, used to increase number of cars and reduce development time?

 

Launch PS2 Gran Turismo used PS1 A.I routines? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 1:30 PM, zzip said:

Listening to Mark, they put a lot of focus into eliminating specific bottlenecks with custom hardware solutions.   That's why the SSD is so fast for instance, so it can load data into memory in real-time while playing a game, that will give developers more freedom.   it will be interesting to see how well that plays out in the real world.   Raw Teraflop numbers may be misleading.

Sony have themselves to blame for the numbers game, they overhyped the PS3 numbers and the Cell processor and then ran with the PS4 1080P over Xbox One 900P angle.

 

The Pro was weaker than XB1X,  but the brand carried it.

 

 

Sony appear to be gambling on the brand (and possibly a cheaper launch price than MS in the next round) carrying them through, but it was of little surprise to see MS play Sony at the numbers game this time around from the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THe numbers game has been around since there were video game consoles (and computers, for that matter) for sale in opposition to each other. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lost Dragon said:

They did this with Gran Turismo on PlayStation 3 didn't they?

 

 

Car models etc from the PlayStation 2 version, used to increase number of cars and reduce development time?

 

Launch PS2 Gran Turismo used PS1 A.I routines? 

I always wondered why some cars looked really good in that game and some looked rough. That explains it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I always wondered why some cars looked really good in that game and some looked rough. That explains it.

The PlayStation 2 car models were taken from GT4 and labelled as 'Standard' cars alongside the new, high definition 'Premium' cars.

 

Time saving measure, but made for a jarring experience overall. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

There are some interesting rumours doing the rounds about Sony looking to license Silent Hill (for a reboot and bring Silent Hills to PS5), have Sony Japan do a Bloodborne esq Castlevania and have a PS5 exclusive Metal Gear Solid. 

 

If there's one thing that could make the PS5 and essential purchase for many, it will be it's exclusives. 

Nothing to do but wait 4~5 years and see if the exclusives are worth it. I'd rather use the money I could buy a PS5 with to buy newer parts for my computer and play the same library of multiplatform games or buy Japanese Mega Drive games, which easily cost 30000~80000 yen each for the ones I'm looking at buying right now.

 

The thing is that there are not a lot of exclusive games on any non-Nintendo platforms anymore. There are occasional PS4-only games, but not many, and of those, I only have 2 (Uncharted and Uncharted), so it needs to be something really damn awesome. A hypothetical Shin Megami Tensei VI would do it without question, as would a good Metal Gear. Survive was not appealing at all and I did play the PS4 demo and was not impressed enough to buy it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Nothing to do but wait 4~5 years and see if the exclusives are worth it. I'd rather use the money I could buy a PS5 with to buy newer parts for my computer and play the same library of multiplatform games or buy Japanese Mega Drive games, which easily cost 30000~80000 yen each for the ones I'm looking at buying right now.

 

The thing is that there are not a lot of exclusive games on any non-Nintendo platforms anymore. There are occasional PS4-only games, but not many, and of those, I only have 2 (Uncharted and Uncharted), so it needs to be something really damn awesome. A hypothetical Shin Megami Tensei VI would do it without question, as would a good Metal Gear. Survive was not appealing at all and I did play the PS4 demo and was not impressed enough to buy it.

I played far few games this generation than ever before (and i went with PS4).

 

 

Looking at the exclusives, i personally found PS4 instalments of:Killzone, Infamous and Uncharted far weaker experiences than on PS3, yet Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn were killer apps for myself. 

 

 

God Of War had run it's course by the time the PS3 version arrived.

 

 

Sony are really going to have to deliver something really special exclusives wise to see a purchase from myself. 

 

Sony over the years have closed so many internal studios, i find myself just wondering if they have enough teams to provide a broad range of exclusives that utilise the potential of the hardware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...