IGNORED

HSC17 Round 4: BOSCONIAN

Bosconian

bosconian.png.b0bc181759ddd21db840aa11f6a27645.png

After only having a pointy beak, a pixellated hammer and a magic ball that wanders off just when you need it we finally get to shoot something this season! So break out the space guns and do whatever we're meant to be doing to those evil looking space pod thingys!

We played Bosconian not too long ago but it's so good it deserves another HSC play already.

Versions

There are NTSC and PAL versions plus 64 and 128K versions to choose from. NTSC is faster so emulator users can pick either. There is also an NTSC "e" version which is customised for emulation.

Downloads

[Since this HSC round Bosconian v1.5f has been released]

Everything is here XEXs (Silly Venture 2017 versions)

Fandal has 130XE XEX ver 

Wikipedia: Info, StrategyWiki: How to Play

APE

XEX versions lock-up after the title screen from APE but they work from a boot disk so here are a couple if anyone wants the 64K versions doing let me know.

Bosconian 128K NTSC on MyDOS with MyPicoDOs menu.ATR

Bosconian 128K PAL on MyDOS with MyPicoDOs menu.ATR

AtariMax MaxFlash Instructions

- in "MaxFlash Cartridge Studio" click right mouse key on game title

- "Edit Menu Title and Settings"

- choose "EXE Loader Base Address 0x0300"

- then "save"

Controls Joystick, fire to start. In game: Start=Pause, Option aborts go when paused.

Tips Try taking out the pod's individual pieces, keep away from them and use all the angles. Keep "space" clear as a priority: use forward shots on fixed objects, rear shots on flying stuff.

From the programmer shanti77:

You must fast destroy all base cannons before "condition yellow" than you don't see enemy (or only one). Destroy all cannons = 6*200+1500=2300 sc, destroy core=1500 sc. Enemy slow rotate, you must often change direction and constatntly fire. You must take good order bases destroy, map is looped , if you'll fly to the right you you'll show up on the left (the same Up and Down).

Good luck.

Round ends Sunday 15th March 10am UK time (5am EST)

GAME ON!

if anyone missed rounds 1-3 post any late scores and/or just join here  ;)

UPDATED: SEASON 17 Current Standings

Edited by therealbountybob
APE versions and Max-Flash info
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, McKong said:

Pause is the START button if anyone wants it

If only I'd mentioned that on the 1st post :D

140,560 9th round or so, yes round 8 was a bit of a wake up!

Pro(c) Atari Magazine #14 has my review of Bosconian - plus there's a great quiality (really) T-Shirt of the mag cover art which is Bosconian (mine was admired by 1 person at the computer show at the weekend) !

Could someone explain to me what condition green and condition yellow means? I could not find it in the documentation. And what is that warning message I get in the game? It talks to me then and I see some yellow graphics. I have no idea what it shouts... Alarm? Align? A lie? 

1 hour ago, Marius said:

Could someone explain to me what condition green and condition yellow means? I could not find it in the documentation. And what is that warning message I get in the game? It talks to me then and I see some yellow graphics. I have no idea what it shouts... Alarm? Align? A lie? 

I guess it is supposed to say Alert, but I keep hearing alive alive!  just like in the arcade version. 

• Like 1