IGNORED

HSC17 Round 4: BOSCONIAN

1 hour ago, oracle_jedi said:

56,270   clearly I need some practice at this one!

Yes. Me too. It is so different than Mr. Do! 

There are some elements in Bosconian I really like. It looks really fabulous, the controls are very accurate and the sound and music is great.

Gameplay is fun and challenging too. There is most certainly a will to start again after I lost my last ship.

But there is also something I dislike. I can  not say exact what it is. Is the game too hard? Is there too much going on that feels random? Is it slightly boring? Is it something else. I am not sure yet. I have to play this game many more times before I know what really holds me back.

The game is exceptionally well done. I think it can be just me not matching with the gameplay yet. I will retry and improve and probably and hopefully I will appreciate it more too soon.

Edited by Marius
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if this game will play on a real 130XE via APE? I've tried a couple of different .XEX files (NTSC 64kb/128kb) and I get as far as the title screen (which loads twice) before it locks up.

I seem to remember having this problem the last time this game was played in the HSC and just giving up and using emulation.

2 hours ago, graywest said:

Does anyone know if this game will play on a real 130XE via APE? I've tried a couple of different .XEX files (NTSC 64kb/128kb) and I get as far as the title screen (which loads twice) before it locks up.

I seem to remember having this problem the last time this game was played in the HSC and just giving up and using emulation.

I always create a single file floppy disk (which also could be an atr of course) with the HSC game. I love to play that game till the next round then I create new floppy (using the same disk). I am in PAL land though. I create the floppy with the US speed initializer. It is one of the fastest filemenu.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graywest said:

Same - Just tried the 128K and 64K PAL vers on my 130XE with APE and it lock's up after title screen with blank screen However - I've just imaged the disk I had with the file version on to an ATR and it then works from APE, I'll post it and the NTSC one  on the first post here in a minute or two ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

Same - Just tried the 128K and 64K PAL vers on my 130XE with APE and it lock's up after title screen with blank screen However - I've just imaged the disk I had with the file version on to an ATR and it then works from APE, I'll post it and the NTSC one  on the first post here in a minute or two ;-)

Thanks TRBB!! You are my hero. I don't mind emulation, but there's nothing like using real hardware. ?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marius said:

I always create a single file floppy disk (which also could be an atr of course) with the HSC game. I love to play that game till the next round then I create new floppy (using the same disk). I am in PAL land though. I create the floppy with the US speed initializer. It is one of the fastest filemenu.

Thanks Marius!

• Like 2

While my latest assemble is running... we have enough players already for the first table (plus I'll get it in quick before McKong overtakes me, Starbug comes out of stasis and RT finds his joystick) !

BOSCONIAN

1st   therealbountybob      387,160  12pts
  2nd   McKong                      332,450  11pts
  3rd   Deteacher                  229,750  10pts

4th   AtariLeaf                    98,730  9pts
  5th   Marius                        63,540  9pts
  6th   roadrunner                  63,080  8pts
  7th   chevymad                   62,150  8pts
  8th   a8isa1                       57,670  7pts
  9th   oracle_jedi                 56,270  7pts
 10th   Mangia-Boy                49,450  6pts
 11th   Sikor                         48,330  5pts
 12th   slx                            44,850  4pts
 13th   pusakat                     30,650  3pts
 14th   RedThunder               28,480  2pts
 15th   mimo                        14,520  2pts

If anyone wants to see how they're doing overall, I've updated the Season 17 Current Standings. Let me know if I've missed anyone or any precious points ?

• Like 1

It's groundhog day

While my latest assemble is running... ;-)

latest tables

BOSCONIAN

1st   therealbountybob      387,160  12pts
  2nd   McKong                      332,450  11pts
  3rd   Deteacher                  229,750  10pts

4th   graywest                   204,660  9pts
  5th   oracle_jedi                134,840  9pts
  6th   Marius                      108,380  8pts
  7th   AtariLeaf                    98,730  8pts
  8th   roadrunner                  63,080  7pts
  9th   chevymad                   62,150  7pts
 10th   a8isa1                       57,670  6pts
 11th   MagicMarc-er               56,180  6pts
 12th   Sikor                          49,500  5pts
 13th   Mangia-Boy                 49,450  5pts
 14th   slx                             44,850  4pts
 15th   pusakat                      30,650  4pts
 16th   RedThunder                 28,480  3pts
 17th   jblenkle                      14,590  2pts
 18th   mimo                         14,520  2pts

If anyone wants to see how they're doing overall, I've updated the Season 17 Current Standings. Let me know if I've missed anyone or any precious points ?