IGNORED

HSC17 Round 4: BOSCONIAN

Oh my!!! Finally above 200k

if I saw this correctly

Extra life at

Not been there, but I suppose 270000....

Still not sure what the spy ship is. Is it perhaps that red one that gives you 200, 300 or 400 points? (And what makes that you get 400 points? I have still not figured out how...)

15835744763405276919473812504578.jpg

Edited by Marius
added 220000 points for bonus life (have at this time 256120 points as max)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marius said:

Still not sure what the spy ship is. Is it perhaps that red one that gives you 200, 300 or 400 points? (And what makes that you get 400 points? I have still not figured out how...)

I remember there being an on-screen score when hitting a red ship but it was too frantic to really see what number it was.

• Like 1

I guess this message is Spy Ship Sighted.

I believe now that this is the Spy Ship. 

You can score different points. I have seen 200, 300, 400 and 800. 800 Happens when this thing explodes together with an asteroid. 200, 300, 400.... it is still not clear how to influence this score. First I thought it had to do with how near the spy ship was when it's hit... but that does not have any influence on the score. 

599877041_Schermafbeelding2020-03-07om12_34_35.png.874bb78189d40d339868abd9e2550474.png

But I seriously doubt it that this works genuinely right in the game. Even when you completely ignore this ship, you will not get into RED CONDITION sometimes, and sometimes you get in RED CONDITION even when there was no SPY SHIP SIGHTED message at all, or even when you did shoot the Spy Ship. 

So I hope that is fixed in the updated version. Or perhaps someone can confirm that this 'RED CONDITION' is random in the a8 version (and not linked to the spy ship).

Edited by Marius

From what I understand, the spy ship will take a couple passes by you before flying off.  Yes, allowing it to get away is supposed to cause a "condition red."  I've also heard that staying on a level too long will also trigger a condition red.

My best guess is that in the beginning levels, it takes longer to get to condition red.  Once you get to level 8 (blue bases) it doesn't take as long.  These are just by best educated guesses from my observations in playing.  Do not take it as gospel.  

• Like 1

241,310!  Round 13.

My little tip (for the higher levels):

If you have a battle formation chasing you down, try to lead them into an asteroid or a mine.  I lucked out on one level where there was a large cluster of asteroids on screen...the whole fleet crashed into it, scoring me a nice little bonus.  :)

Bosconian 241310.png

• Like 2

Speaking of hints and tips.

What I do is this. Especially on the higher levels (from round 8 and up, where the bases do defend themselves with missiles)... I shoot the two cannons that are on one side of where the missile is coming out. That makes it much easier to shoot the base from the missile side. On lower rounds this is also a good idea. Sometimes you want to demolish the base as soon as possible (in case of "RED!") and then it is handy that you already shot these two cannons.

1 hour ago, pusakat said:

Finally got to play this on a real Atari 65XE, which I just bought just last month. Also made an SIO2PC-USB cable recently, so I can play on a real machine now instead of in emulation. Here's my score on the 8-bit: 50,630

bosconian-03-09-2020.thumb.jpg.b47dbcc3319322c0fe6adf32ee890958.jpg

How do you like the real thing?
I much prefer using a real Atari 

• Like 1