IGNORED

Native debugger

Morning All,

I'm working on something in CA65 (assembler that comes with cc65) - I need a native debugger that I can run on the Atari that stays out of the way until a BRK instruction is encountered.  Normally I'd use an emulator but I'm interfacing with a bit of hardware so I need something on the Atari.

Any suggestions?

53 minutes ago, damosan said:

I'm working on something in CA65 (assembler that comes with cc65) - I need a native debugger that I can run on the Atari that stays out of the way until a BRK instruction is encountered.  Normally I'd use an emulator but I'm interfacing with a bit of hardware so I need something on the Atari.

I personally found DDT (from the Mac65) pretty workable and would recommend it. Of course, a debugger within an emulator is more powerful.

1 hour ago, damosan said:

Morning All,

Any suggestions?

Altirra can emulate most commonly-encountered hardware very accurately. Unless you’re going to emulate something quite unusual like a satellite radio receiver or something like a home built A/D converter with the joysticks, I’d suggest you use Altirra. 

Turbo Freezer might be an option if you can get your hands on one (and afford it).

When I did native development, I usually used ATMAS II, which has a monitor/debugger built in:

atari000.png.d8bdf70e95098d037f22ffca3cbce16e.pngatari001.png.6a9e14fcd52f2b32757aff23e53b6f9b.png

After that you can use M (memory dump) and D (disassemble) to look what happened.

Edit: manual in German and partly translated to English: https://github.com/ivop/atmas2-manual

Edit2: download link: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Atmas II

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1