IGNORED

basic hook up issue

newTIboyRob

Hello, hoping for some help.  I have a TI99 that powers on ok, but I'm not able to see the typical blue start up screen.  Something's likely amiss in the way I am hooking it up, as neither channel 3 nor 4 setting on the switch box running to the tv worked with this tv..  From the photos, you can see the old TI switch box screwed in to the black adapter, which is then hooked up to the VHF terminals at the back of the tv, an old Quasar.

[Right on the switch box itself, it says to hook it to VHF at back of tv, so I did.]

1)  I left the UHF terminals at the back of the tv untouched, but I did notice screws at the side of the switch box which I also left untouched.

Are these for UHF connection to the tv and must also be connected at back of TV at the UHF terminals for everything to work?

(I once saw a different switch box that used UHF channel 36, but maybe this is not necessarily my particular switch box?)

2)  Is it that maybe this tv itself won't work since I have no remote for it and am only able to access channels 2-13?   Would a different tv make a difference or shouldn't I still be able to use this one?

If anyone can explain why my basic set up isn't working and tell me the proper way to connect this, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

swtich.jpg

boxside.jpg

backoftvonly.jpg

backoftvconn.jpg

Looks right to me. Just make sure the TV and modulator are both on the same channel. Might need to adjust the TV fine tuning.

The screw terminals are for the old antenna on the roof. To watch regular TV, push the switch from modulator to TV antenna. For the TI to show, it should be switched to modulator, just as you have it in your pics.

Does the TV work otherwise? These days you need a convertor box to watch broadcast TV, but a VCR or DVD player with VHF output should still work. You could try feeding the TI into the VCR and sending that to the TV.

Next up is another TV or get a Composite cable for the TI with the "tulip-shape" RCA plugs to try that way.

EDIT: Haha! The pic was dark and I didn't even see the switch on the TV! That's to change between built-in rabbit ears or some external antenna. Oh well, maybe my reply will help someone else. ;)

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

dragonstomper, brilliant!  I got something, using channel 4, but it is majorly fuzzy.  I can make out the light blue of the start up screen though, so this is progress.  However, the only setting I see to adjust is "Picture" and it's a small nob, not like on the old tv's where you crank it like a dial to tune.  This one does nothing to fine tune.  Is it time to try another tv, we are so close!?

I tightened the connections and finally had success with above. Thanks to all :) 

Quick question... I pressed "1" to go to TI basic, and now I just want to send a simple 1 line test program to the printer to see if the Parallax to printer combo works'  

It is some kind of "Open" statement if I remember, but can someone save me the time and edit this basic program so I can see line 30 printed to the printer:

10 REM TI STAR NX-10 PRINTER TEST

20 OPEN

30 PRINT "THIS IS A TEST FROM COMPUTER TO PRINTER"

Lines 20 and 30 would be different as shown here:

20 OPEN #1:"PIO"

30 PRINT #1:"THIS IS A TEST FROM COMPUTER TO PRINTER"

40 CLOSE #1

50 END

or

20 OPEN #1: "AXIOM"

30 PRINT #1:"THIS IS A TEST FROM COMPUTER TO PRINTER"

40 CLOSE #1

50 END

as the Axiom is a Parallel port.

Either variant will get you an output if it is working.

Here's a link to the Axiom Manual if you need it.

Edited by Ksarul

Hi, thanks for the link and your programs Ksarul.  Unfortunately, neither of them worked, as I get an I/O device error. Here is my typical setup, which I believe is correct:

computer ---> speech synth----> Axiom Parallax Printer Interface  ---->  Star NX-10 printer, turned on, online, ready & loaded with paper, ribbon.

The Axiom Parallax manual mentions that the unit is self powered, so I was trying first without any power adapter. It also does mention the use of an adapter, thus causing my confusion on another forum thread.

So 5 questions remain:

1) With my specific printer, the Star NX-10, shouldn't that second program in basic above have worked?

2) Since neither program worked... must I use a power adapter connected at the back of the Axiom and running to the wall?

3) If so, without a testing meter, I am unsure of what voltage of AC adapter I should use?

4) How do I attach the polarity tip?  I am terrified of frying the Axiom and/or damaging anything!  

Since I am very unfamiliar with polarity and voltage, I didn't understand the manual specs. But I tried.

I have a variable power AC adapter with adjustable settings of 1.5 v, 3v, 4.5v, 6v, 7.5v, 9v, 12v. 

As expected, the end of the adapter cord is marked "TIP" where the final adjustable polarity piece can be attached.

5) Now... should that final adjustable polarity piece (that is to be attached to where it says "TIP" at the end of the adapter cord) be inserted so the "+" or is it the "-" is to be attached to where it shows "TIP" at the end of the adapter cord?  Once I have that determined and in place, I would then be properly ready to connect to the Axiom, and give this all another try

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

• Like 1

I was hoping to keep the speech snyth hooked to the TI and the Axiom Parallax printer interface dasiychained to the speech synth.

Is the result that I do need the power adapter after all, as I mentioned above?  I would really like to use my Star NX-10 printer to print out programs.

Thanks

It's not taking power from the TI at all, so I don't think it should matter one bit if the speech is in the chain or not. If that were an issue, the Parallax manual would have made mention of it. Since the speech does use console power, it just makes sense it should come first. For now, just leave it out till you get the printer working to remove it from the list of unknowns.

As I mentioned in your other thread, the Parallax factory setting is for use of a wallwart. It states that in the manual. I would try it using your variable voltage wallwart with it's TIP on the + and set to 4.5 volts.

Since changing the Parallax to use printer power did require opening it up and doing some soldering, chances are it is untouched and still set to the factory default of requiring an external 5 volt wallwart. 4.5 volts should be close enough. There is a regulator inside, so if 4.5 doesn't kick it into gear, try 6 volts, but with my precautions in the other thread about perhaps overpowering it without first verifying things using a meter. I'm only trying to help avoid making smoke! 8)

-Ed

Ed in SoDak, thanks for all your help. I tested it exactly as you said, without the speech synth, but long story short, I had no success with the Axiom. I even tried just separately doing a self test on the printer, the Star NX-10, to make sure it was working fine, and it was.  I even tried hooking up another printer that I'd tested and knew was working, an Epson LQ 800, and again, no dice. 

So it's something about the connection between this Axiom and the printers. Since both the printers work fine, maybe it's that I bought a defective Axiom, as I still keep getting the I/O error message OO in line 20.

Should I just give up on this Axiom? 

Buy another? 

What would I need, and what would be the cheapest different way to get the computer to print to a printer?

I'm next trying to test the speech snyth I now hooked up with Terminal Emulator II, as I want to hear this thing "talk."  When I put in the cartridge though, the parameters technical page comes up.

All of the videos on you tube I have found just have this thing talking right away without showing that screen, so I have no idea what to enter on that page.

What information do I enter?  Is that cartridge the simplest way to get the computer to "talk" with the speech synth?

the axiom should work with our without a printer.. it just won't print.. :) 

simple way to get it to talk is to go into extended basic and call say("HELLO") yes in ALL CAPS it does matter..  If you don't have that cartridge you can use TE2 but you need to use it from basic to really do any speech..here's the manual.. there's info on page 33

te2 manual.pdf

How about this one for the books.... hooked up the speech synth, put in the Extended Basic cart, typed in all CAPITAL LETTERS:  CALL SAY("HELLO") and instead of "hello", the computer responds with 7 consecutive of these:                  "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh"  ... I couldn't believe it.

I tried another phrase, again in all capital letters:  CALL SAY("HI THERE")...  same response.

Anyone have a guess on this one?  It's amazing how I am only trying to do basic things too!

How about this one for the books.... hooked up the speech synth, put in the Extended Basic cart, typed in all CAPITAL LETTERS:  CALL SAY("HELLO") and instead of "hello", the computer responds with 7 consecutive of these:                  "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh" "uh oh"  ... I couldn't believe it.

I tried another phrase, again in all capital letters:  CALL SAY("HI THERE")...  same response.

Anyone have a guess on this one?  It's amazing how I am only trying to do basic things too!

You aren't using capital letters

Hit alpha lock and try again

Lowercase looks like smaller capital letters

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Wallwart is working fine, as I grabbed it from 9v use on my tiny Yahama keyboard.  This is so baffling and frustrating.

There is another Axiom Parallax sitting on Ebay for $50, but untested, so.... I'm hesitant to roll the dice!

Does anyone know if there is any other way to get the printer outputting?  Maybe some modern gadget printer interface?

Wallwart is working fine, as I grabbed it from 9v use on my tiny Yahama keyboard.  This is so baffling and frustrating.
There is another Axiom Parallax sitting on Ebay for $50, but untested, so.... I'm hesitant to roll the dice!

Does anyone know if there is any other way to get the printer outputting?  Maybe some modern gadget printer interface?

Cf7
I'll have some soon

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk