IGNORED

UNOCart-2600 issues

STLRunner

Hi, all. I just acquired a Heavy Sixer and about 40 original games. They all play fine but the UNOCart 2600 cartridge will not boot on it. I tried it in a friend's 7800 and the UNOCart works flawlessly. Is there anything that I can check or do on my 2600 console? I am mechanically and technically savvy so opening it up is no issue.

I tried all of the standard troubleshooting stuff - remove UNO from its shell, inserted it with varying depths, different SD cards. It won't boot even with no SD card. The UNO is also on the latest firmware.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

And, as an aside, I am loving the 40+ year old technology. I could not afford it back in the 70s or 80s.

• Like 1

I use a light sixer and an using the new Plus Cart which runs off modified uno cart software. When I first got the cart mine didn't work, Al Nafuur here on the forums had to make a tweak to the software because it seems my system starts up faster than the cart has time to load, like the two are not in sync upon boot. I wonder if this effects the standard uno cart as well, just food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Prizrak said:

I use a light sixer and an using the new Plus Cart which runs off modified uno cart software. When I first got the cart mine didn't work, Al Nafuur here on the forums had to make a tweak to the software because it seems my system starts up faster than the cart has time to load, like the two are not in sync upon boot. I wonder if this effects the standard uno cart as well, just food for thought.

the only PlusCart tweak that also apply to the UnoCart, is to move the set_menu_status_msg and set_menu_status_byte in main() to a later point, when the VCS is in it's wait routine in RAM.

maybe @DirtyHairy can give it a try.

Could it also be related or similar to the hardware hack that used to be required on some H6 units for some of the homebrews to work properly? I seem to recall it was cutting a trace or jumpering past some component that was later removed from the 2600 schematics.

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Could it also be related or similar to the hardware hack that used to be required on some H6 units for some of the homebrews to work properly? I seem to recall it was cutting a trace or jumpering past some component that was later removed from the 2600 schematics.

I found that thread and the fix:

I am waiting to see if there's a fix to the firmware that will help before I modify my Heavy Sixer. I realize that the hardware mod is simply soldering a wire across an inductor, which I am open to.

My question would be whether or not the UNOCart-2600 was tested on six switch consoles before it went to market.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Was there any conclusion to this issue?

I just bought a new UnoCart for my Atari 2600 and it appears to have the same issue where it does not boot. I just see a black screen with nothing.

Unfortunately I don't have another Atari to test the cart, any ideas?

• Like 1

I manage to figure out what was wrong.

The 3d printing cartridge was not allowing the PCB to be fully connected to the console.

I had to sand the cartridge a bit to allow the PCB to be connected a bit lower and manage to make it work.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 2:06 PM, xesf said:

I manage to figure out what was wrong.

The 3d printing cartridge was not allowing the PCB to be fully connected to the console.

I had to sand the cartridge a bit to allow the PCB to be connected a bit lower and manage to make it work.

Just confirming this conclusion and adding a little more.  I just finished a UAV/stereo mod on a light sixer and bought the UnoCart-2600 along with the UAV mod kit.  Anyway, all of the carts that came with the sixer work just fine, but the UnoCart was just coming up black.  I read this post and took the UnoCart out of its printed case and tried it bare on the 2600 and it worked fine!  After a few other attempts, it appears the problem in my case are the screws holding the case together.  They seem to protrude a bit from outside of the case.  The UnoCart works without the screws, and doesn't work with them installed.  I'm guessing it's just not able to completely sit within the cartridge slot with those protruding screw heads.

I think I'm going to shave down the screw holes a bit and see if I can't make the screws sit completely flush with the cartridge.

Thanks everyone in this thread, I was worried I'd have to send the UnoCart back since I also didn't have access to another 2600 to test on.

ProtrudingScrew.thumb.jpg.1bb4589ac778b4096dfbec860cac4804.jpg

12 minutes ago, Kevin McGrath said:

Just confirming this conclusion and adding a little more.  I just finished a UAV/stereo mod on a light sixer and bought the UnoCart-2600 along with the UAV mod kit.  Anyway, all of the carts that came with the sixer work just fine, but the UnoCart was just coming up black.  I read this post and took the UnoCart out of its printed case and tried it bare on the 2600 and it worked fine!  After a few other attempts, it appears the problem in my case are the screws holding the case together.  They seem to protrude a bit from outside of the case.  The UnoCart works without the screws, and doesn't work with them installed.  I'm guessing it's just not able to completely sit within the cartridge slot with those protruding screw heads.

I think I'm going to shave down the screw holes a bit and see if I can't make the screws sit completely flush with the cartridge.

Thanks everyone in this thread, I was worried I'd have to send the UnoCart back since I also didn't have access to another 2600 to test on.

ProtrudingScrew.thumb.jpg.1bb4589ac778b4096dfbec860cac4804.jpg

Sorry about that.  We keep trying different screws and different hole designs.  We will keep at it.

-M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

Sorry about that.  We keep trying different screws and different hole designs.  We will keep at it.

-M

No worries, I'm glad to hear you're continuing to improve it.  :)

Just FYI, after a little hot rotary tool action, the screws ended up flush to the case and the UnoCart worked flawlessly even after multiple insertions.  Hmm, maybe I should mark this reply as NSFW? 

5 hours ago, Kevin McGrath said:

No worries, I'm glad to hear you're continuing to improve it.  :)

Just FYI, after a little hot rotary tool action, the screws ended up flush to the case and the UnoCart worked flawlessly even after multiple insertions.  Hmm, maybe I should mark this reply as NSFW? 

Heh!

Glad to hit all worked out.  There is supposed to be some trimming to the case before it goes out.  Quality control needs a little I see.  However, enjoy the UNO and see you around!

4 hours ago, STLRunner said:

Just so everyone knows, I removed the circuit board from the case and it still did not help on my Heavy Sixer. It works fine on a 2600 Jr and also a 7800. Be warned that it may not work on a Heavy Sixer no matter what you do.

We have tested them on multiple heavy sixers and 7800s and Geminis and all manner of 2600 adapters and they all work.  This is very odd.  Does the Heavy Sixer have modifications of any kind to it?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. It will not work with my Sears Tele-Games Heavy Sixer....no matter what I try. I have taken the board out as well. Black screen or color bars each time. It works in my 7800, but not in the heavy sixer. No modifications at all. Completely stock. Works fine with all normal games, but not the UNO cart at all.

Edited by eightbit

On 3/3/2020 at 2:52 PM, STLRunner said:

I found that thread and the fix:

I am waiting to see if there's a fix to the firmware that will help before I modify my Heavy Sixer. I realize that the hardware mod is simply soldering a wire across an inductor, which I am open to.

My question would be whether or not the UNOCart-2600 was tested on six switch consoles before it went to market.

Did you ever try this fix? It seems it would be a good thing to do anyway in order to add support for more games like River Raid II. But I am curious to see if it resolved your UNO cart issue? This fix will take me all but a few minutes....I just wonder if it will help.

10 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Did you ever try this fix? It seems it would be a good thing to do anyway in order to add support for more games like River Raid II. But I am curious to see if it resolved your UNO cart issue? This fix will take me all but a few minutes....I just wonder if it will help.

Yes, I did solder a jumper across that inductor but it did not make the UNOcart work. I didn't try it with River Raid II, but it had no negative effects either.

Just now, STLRunner said:

Yes, I did solder a jumper across that inductor but it did not make the UNOcart work. I didn't try it with River Raid II, but it had no negative effects either.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will not bother then...as I don't own RRII anyway. But thanks for the reply. I guess no UNO for the H6 :(

5 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will not bother then...as I don't own RRII anyway. But thanks for the reply. I guess no UNO for the H6 :(

DirtyHarry was kind enough to tweak the firmware for me. We tried two or three different versions but they didn't help. I also acquired a different power supply with a higher current output but that didn't help either.

I did purchase the ST-Link v2 programmer and someday we're going to use it to monitor what happens during boot. If anything is found, I will post it here.

Well, I just tested my UNO on an Atari Sunnyvale H6 that I previously modified to work with Stay Frosty 2 and also River Raid II. Both of those games work on it and so does my UNO. I've got a light sixer and at least 1 other H6 I might be able to test in a bit. In fact...hold my beer...

Well just tested on my Sears H6 unit. It too works with River Raid II and does NOT have any modifications done on it at all. It is all stock and it also works with my UNO without issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, I just tested my UNO on an Atari Sunnyvale H6 that I previously modified to work with Stay Frosty 2 and also River Raid II. Both of those games work on it and so does my UNO. I've got a light sixer and at least 1 other H6 I might be able to test in a bit. In fact...hold my beer...

Well just tested on my Sears H6 unit. It too works with River Raid II and does NOT have any modifications done on it at all. It is all stock and it also works with my UNO without issue.

Interesting. So no mod and RRII and the UNO still work on yours....I will have to try this fix and see if it does anything at all. My Sears unit is a pretty early one. Serial 68666S.

Edited by eightbit

34 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Interesting. So no mod and RRII and the UNO still work on yours....I will have to try this fix and see if it does anything at all. My Sears unit is a pretty early one. Serial 68666S.

Yeah mine is a later made serial starting at 9.

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeah mine is a later made serial starting at 9.

Thanks. Maybe it has something to do with the revision. It would have ultimately been great to have a RRII cart so that I can run tests and see if it does not work pre-mod, and then works post mod....so at least I can see that the work did something. But I am not about to plunk down $30 on it ;)

I guess it can't hurt to try the mod...and if you are leaving the mod on your system with no issue it obviously can't hurt to keep it there. We'll see what happens.