IGNORED

What is the BEST game you've ever played and which one is the WORST?

4 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

@adamchevy That's a really interesting choice of games, because I'm sure that many people (especially the ones born after 1990) consider World of Warcraft the best game they've ever played and I suspect they would probably choose Robotron 2084 (or any game with similar graphics) as their worst gaming experience if you only showed them one particular game of that era.

I've never played WoW because I'm not into RPG games, but I am curious... what made you dislike it so much? Do you prefer deeper RPG games?

It's a strange opinion.  I think the likeness for WOW is from what I can see around me mostly a phenomement that touched people born between 1985 and 1995, give or take.

People born before may not like it for it's time-consuming nature (and those people tend to know and prefer the Warcraft games) and people born after 1995 consider it like an old game, and prefer the shorter time-requiring games of today, games that either require no learning curve and no levelling (PUBG) or pay-to-win models.

Robotron may please lots of peopel because it is at core a simple scoring game, if they can look past the simpler graphics (and most of them do).

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just trying to say that it's interesting how a game like WoW can be the best for millions of millennials and the worst for some people with more experience. I always say that older generations are somewhat lucky to understand video games better. Most of us don't need good graphics or 3D, and many of us can identify when a game is trying to steal 100 hours of our lives by artificial repetition of tasks.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just trying to say that it's interesting how a game like WoW can be the best for millions of millennials and the worst for some people with more experience. I always say that older generations are somewhat lucky to understand video games better. Most of us don't need good graphics or 3D, and many of us can identify when a game is trying to steal 100 hours of our lives by artificial repetition of tasks.

I was born in 1981, so a little early for WoW. I grew up playing Warcraft 2, Starcraft, and Warcraft 3 a bit later. I really enjoy the Warcraft Universe, and I watch the Warcraft movie a couple times a year. I really enjoyed WoW for the first 6 months. I played up until Wrath of the Lich King, and I came back and played Legion for about a month.

Looking back at most of the games I have played in my life none of them has left me with the feeling WoW has.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:14 PM, mbd30 said:

Best: Tetris (NES)

Worst: Custer's Revenge (Atari 2600)

I guess Custer's Revenge "wins" because it's offensive in addition to being an awful game. It was a tough call between that and Action 52.

And I found it hilarious that Custer's Revenge actually works on VirtualVCS for the Atari Jaguar.   So few working games and that one plays.  :P

Of course you have the less offensively themed "Western Ho" and "General Retreat" variants if you want to play it without being "Custer's Revenge"

• Like 1

So let's take a fun detour... best and worst of the Bubsy Bobcat games.

BEST: While Woolies Strike Back (PS4/Steam) is a nice game, it is as many people say, too short with not a great array of enemies.   Pitty, the control were great and a lot of good ideas in this game otherwise, just not enough of them.

So Fractured Furry Tales (Atari Jaguar) is the best so far maintaining the original look of Bubsy (if you overlook the exclamation mark on his shirt being yellow instead of red) while having a greater variety of enemies, possibly than the original Bubsy game, and some notable good Mod music.   And improved and colorful graphics to boot.

WORST:  Many would possibly think that Bubsy 3D:Furbidden Planet (PS1) would be considered the worst, after all the panning it gets on the internet as the worst game after Superman 64.  However.  With a variety of enemies, multiple level scenarios, and creative cut screens and deaths, Bubsy 3D offers a lot for a Bubsy fan.

What is the worst?   Bubsy II.   Right there, with no punful addition to the name shows how little was put into the game that the developers reportedly hated.   The music is terrible, the mini-games were alright, adding the nerf gun was just a cash grab, and the level ideas were not the best thought out while the control handling changes throughout the game.  There is some creative stuff there, much like Bubsy 3D, but to me Bubsy 3D was more enjoyable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, IntelliMission said:

Best game: The Secret of Monkey Island (1990) (check out this amazing 1h review of the game I just discovered)

On 3/6/2020 at 2:26 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

That was a fantastic video. Thanks for sharing it

That channel has some other great videos about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and Carmaggeddon, among others.

They're not perfect, though: not enough focus on the puzzles in Monkey Island and too much focus on the story, ultra HD and deformed aspect ratio on the Quake gameplay footage, barely any presence of the original EGA versions in the Monkey Island/Lucasarts video...

In this other topic we talk about revisionism when classifying consoles in generations, but I hate this kind of "visual" revisionism too where it seems that many youtubers born after 1980 just can't stand, allow or accept that early 3D games had low resolution graphics and instead they use emulators to "improve" the graphics, in many cases destroying the general look of the game by using an incorrect aspect ratio.

Edited by IntelliMission

What a great topic.

The best game I ever played would be SMB3 (Super Mario Bros. 3). It gave me and continues to give me countless hours of fun when either being stationed in one shit hole after another or finally being back home. The game never gets old and I still play it to this day. I actually try to beat some of the world records... but my reaction time will never compare to the elite gamer's.

The worst game is a toughie. I have played tons of crappy games in my life and if I had to say the worst it would be Karate on the Atari 2600. What a horrific "game". It is basically non-playable as the controller to input does not work at all. 

Runner ups for best game... Resident Evil 4 PS4, Defender arcade, 720 arcade, and Star Wars arcade.

• Like 1

I thought this would be impossible to even narrow down, but in objective terms, I think the Resident Evil 2 remake might be the best I've played. It's basically the only modern-gen game I've really spent much time on and so by default has the best graphics and presentation. As a remake of beloved PS1 masterpiece, it's masterful in its own right, retaining much of what made it great while also expounding on it. The control is about as perfect as you could want from a game like this. It's eminently replayable even after several playthroughs and after the other scenarios, secrets, bonuses, and minigames have been unlocked/completed.

Although since the "new" completed/retooled Black Mesa is out....I'm certain that would be a contender.

The worst...now that's impossible to narrow down. :lol: Probably some edutainment cheese on the Studio II, or some anonymous BASIC type-in thing or forgotten borderline homebrew dreck from the dark side of BBSs or those "Galaxy Of Games" DOS/Win95 CDs you used to see in the '90s. Or something like Karate or Fire Fly on the good old Atari. Or anything on the R-Zone. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be mildly uninteresting and/or technologically challenged, but actively unpleasant in some physical sense (maybe it has ear-gratingly obnoxious sound that can't be turned off or something).

Not the worst (because, sadly, there are demonstrably worse games) but most disappointing, and I feel like I really need to talk about it :lol:: Aliens: Colonial Marines. I followed the development of this game for years (because it was in development for years, which alone should have been a big red flag), and can definitively say I never anticipated any game as excitedly or feverishly as this. It's the only game I bought Day 1.

It didn't take long for the realization to sink in that the game was not very good, and didn't match what had been shown to the public at E3 and such (I initially actually chalked that up to my laptop at the time not being able to run it on optimal settings, which was actually true, but I was still willing to suspend disbelief and make excuses for this game). I slogged on in the hopes that maybe it would improve, but apart from the sewer level (ugh) with the blind mutated suicide-bomber xenomorphs (what) which was actually mildly tense but also wildly dumb...it didn't. I got through it--because I had just paid $50 or $60 for it and I forced myself to--and never touched it again.

By the end of it, I wasn't angry that the game I had pined for so religiously for so long was so comprehensively mediocre, or that Randy Pitchford and Gearbox had blatantly bait-and-switched this game, or even that I was ready to wash my hands of a game I had paid full launch retail for only days earlier. Or even that the story tried to retcon Alien 3 by hamfistedly patching its plot holes with even bigger plot holes that directly contradict the final 45 minutes of the movie that Gearbox had the gall to call this game a sequel to. I was just glad it was over.

• Like 1

I think for Best I'll go with Soul Reaver on the PS1. Other than a < 3 second door opening animation the game played without load times. It was a full 3D game with a more or less open world so for the PS1 era to provide a no-load-time experience like this was amazing. Equally amazing is I haven't seen anything else quite pull it off to the same effect. Yes, there are some games that utilize similar tricks to hide certain loading segments but none did it to the grand scale that Soul Reaver did. Extra points because you could "shift" between two variations of the world at will and other neat gameplay elements that kept it interesting. Also, I loved and played every game in the Blood Omen series. This one was just the most technically impressive.

For Worst game I vote Hey You, Pikachu because it's terrible on levels other terrible games can't approach. Aside from being asinine and unplayable it was from a beloved IP so it was given a chance it didn't deserve. Also it required a special controller add-on just to experience, and a truly awful experience it was. The voice recognition was absolute trash (despite pretending to tune itself to your voice, a required part of the setup process IIRC) and the game quickly devolved into yelling obscenities at your TV screen because Pikachu can't understand you asking him for the 120th time to "Pick up the ball. Pick up the ball, Pikachu. PICK UP THE DAMN BALL!"

• Like 1

Best game ever played. This is such a tough question i really don't know where to begin. If i were to list the best game Ive ever played, I don't know if it should depend on the most time Ive put into a game or should it depend on a game that is most satisfying to play over and over again.  If i had to chose i would say Ghost n Goblins for the NES. There is something about that game that i can play over and over again without getting sick of it. I'm sure nostalgia plays a role it, but i just cant get sick of this game. I must say almost any castlevania game, or because of recent times, galaga is pretty close to being my favorite at the moment. I'm sure my favorite game could change at anytime depending on the way I'm thinking throughout the different phases of my life.

If i am going to pick the worst game, i would probably pick Adventures of Bayou Billy on the NES. This game, in my opinion, is just impossible to play. Its funny because the game doesn't graphically look that bad. I just feel there there is no point of playing a game that is so hard to get past the first level. Not only is this game is extremely hard, I feel as though the controls are just horrible. There is no way that any game should be that hard to beat the first level and i just feel that this game is just unplayable.

Edited by Nintendo64

• 1 month later...

Best game: Mario Kart 64. I love local 4-player games. I haven´t played any newer consoles (have stuck to PC), and the few newer PC-games I have played in 4-player were not as good.

Worst game: Soccer (NES). It is a horrible game, and it enrages me that I bought it instead of something else (game purchases were rare).