IGNORED

what happened here??

newTIboyRob

27 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

Just to clarify, the shift keys are not pressed down and thus stuck. They look the same as the other keys, so I don't know how well the screwdriver would work. Perhaps, as others suggested, the problem is inside.  I am about to pack it up for a rainy day repair, since doing anything inside the computer is beyond my comfort level.

Try the "keep banging on them" repeatedly.  The keyboard is already broken, so you can't make it worse.  Don't hammer them - just some decent taps.  If it works great, if not, nothing lost.

Well, I had pounded them for at least 4 dozen times each, but to no success.  Oh well... we tried, and thanks ver much for trying to help me. I guess it could just "go" at any time, it was just weird it happened when it was working perfectly just a second prior to its demise.  I just packed it away now with the hope that I may run in to someone in my travels who is near me and who isn't chicken like I am to open up and tinker.  C'est la vie.

to resolve this without opening up the case, the 2 options are:

1. buy another computer and sell the faulty one

2. pay someone to fix it for you

if the latter interests you, p.m. flashjazzcat - he has previously provided a repair service and may still do so

19 hours ago, tf_hh said:

Ok... now it´s clear - and simple. One of the both SHIFT keys are permanently pressed down by failure. Remove the caps from the keys and check if there´s some dirt between. Which keyboard type you have? Best is to make a picture from both sides.

This is what I already said earlier in post #6. :rolling:

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

am about to pack it up for a rainy day repair, since doing anything inside the computer is beyond my comfort level.

As a complete novice, I felt like this a few years ago but @DrVenkman convinced me that opening up and working on my own XL was ultimately a very satisfying experience.  He was totally right too.  I've made a few blunders in my learning process along the way but all of the fun that I've had has completely overshadowed any frustration.  And I love having been able to figure stuff out for myself.  I completely recommend taking the plunge yourself.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, SS said:

As a complete novice, I felt like this a few years ago but @DrVenkman convinced me that opening up and working on my own XL was ultimately a very satisfying experience.  He was totally right too.  I've made a few blunders in my learning process along the way but all of the fun that I've had has completely overshadowed any frustration.  And I love having been able to figure stuff out for myself.  I completely recommend taking the plunge yourself.  

Yep, it's broken already so what have you got to lose?

• Like 2

There was an apprehensive first time for us all. We've all made mistakes, most can be corrected, if not right away, later as knowledge and experience grow. I've never damaged something that I haven't been able to fix eventually. The rewards of repairing, modding and upgrading for yourself are worth it all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gently remove and put the shift keys back making sure leveling rods are properly insert in their respective holes and clasps... you can fashion your own key removal tool using looped paper clips...

then take the screws out out of the 800XL bottom case, carefully remove lid slightly while gentle wiggling keyboard ribbon out or if you are lucky enough to have a longer ribbon cable place a thin book next to the 800xl and open book style flip the top/keyboard over onto the the thin book to the right of your 800XL...

Loosen the screws near the shift keys (they are tiny) use the appropriate jewels/adjusters/alignment screw driver so you don't bugger up the philips head of the tiny screws...

flip the top/ keyboard back and test your keyboard... If it gives numbers again great!

If it no longer will shift to the symbols above the numbers... gently tighten a little back again until they do!

Properly adjusted all will work as normal again...

sometimes removing the ribbon and making sure the metal keyboard backing is not bent or gently flattening and straightening the the metal keyboard backing and careful ribbon re insertion can cure the issue as well...

This is very common, and sometime is a result of a keyboard having stuff stacked on it in storage or getting pounded during frantic game play and high emotional reactions :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1