IGNORED

Magical Fairy Force: Character Attack Showcase

Ryan Witmer

It's been a while since I've posted about this project, but plenty has been done and I wanted to show off some of the cool stuff I've got going on.

The biggest thing left to do for this game is the character specific attacks, and I've got half of them done at this point.  I got an idea this morning for what might be the next one, but that needs some more thought.  Anyway, the character attacks are really the heart of the game because they're what makes every character different.  So, in the order I coded them, let's check them out!

large.porkchop.png.e0db4746d2d308ee584f7624cf34a7da.png  Pork-Chop: Gator Rush

Our intrepid ratcatching hero makes use of those horrible sewer alligators that make his day job so dangerous.

large.porkchop_attack.png.735eaa20eb28de3cfb98151b167a39fa.png

These guys will cross the screen in waves, one from each side, and they're fast!  Be quick on that trak-ball and avoid them to prevent damage to yourself.  The gators are upside down here because everything on the top screen is upside down.  Poor evil Zevasha is about to get chomped.

• Like 4

large.7zcbx.jpg.9df184593ed183950de827497796b7a0.jpg7ZC-BX: Atomic Cleaning Laser

This is a fun one.  Upon activation, a targeting crosshair will appear and begin chasing your opponent around the screen.

large.7zcbx_attack_1.png.1dbe46c200a8d6c3071194fbe98e00f5.png

The crosshair will periodically stop and turn red.  That's your warning that this is about to happen:

large.7zcbx_attack_2.png.19e650b2c66e566f7923babb95a3459a.png

Two big honkin' lasers converge on the point where the crosshair stopped.  After the lasers fire, the chase begins again until the attack times out.

• Like 1

large.zevasha.png.743b5eda0b29c6085257c05c6dd9023f.pngZevasha: Darkness Falls

Powerful beams of pure malignant energy fire from the center of the screen.

large.zevasha_attack.png.c2c525cadbc643a8b11f5e08fc49366e.png

These things are fast and you'll need to react quickly to avoid damage.  The dark fairy queen shows no mercy, not even to her cat.

• Like 1

large.sugar.png.d99d90a9e80f625a733dd8ef31c3d00c.pngQueen Sugar: Sugar Burst

The mighty fairy queen launches beams of sweetness that explode into damaging candy hearts.

large.q_sugar_attack.png.680f9439814140ef52ec3d5468714f13.png

This sugary attack comes from behind your opponent, forcing them closer to the dangerous shooting stars, as well as the deadly heart shaped candies.  The queen is truly a fearsome foe!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

large.black_cat2.png.600c7d23edd0f45932200d57a69597e9.pngKitty: Litterbox Splash

Bad Kitty!  Keep that stuff in the box!  You're going to hurt someone!

large.kitty_attack.png.4cf3e6e7a5641ed03e4e63effeb42eea.png

Avoid the deadly Kitty paws on the edges of the screen and watch out for the littler pellets that fly across the screen.  Kitty has no respect for the people that have to clean up after him.  That's why he's a villain.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Loving this especially with the bad kitty!    I know it's 5200 but I know it can port over to the 800/XL/XE series as well may with flourishes. Great stuff!

I release the source code to all of my games, and my two previous releases (Ratcatcher and RealSports Curling) both got ported over by some kind folks.  I expect this game will find its way over eventually as well.

• Like 1

large.frooty.png.94197827c2c7b780e48cf5b7cdc7e65e.pngFrooty: Lollipop Smash

Frooty makes use of that mean looking lollipop to brain any and all who stand in her way.

large.frooty.png.895c43d9945dac1cf1e99f88d69ddea9.png

It doesn't look like much, but Frooty's fearsome lollipop of doom bounces around your opponent's playfield like a trapped Breakout ball, endangering life and limb.

And with that, all eight character attacks are complete!  This is a major milestone, and now development is down to details and bug fixes.  Cartridge space is becoming scarce, by my math I have a little over 4KB left.  I ended up implementing a compression routine to reclaim some space since some of the larger data assets compressed really well.  I have a few more tricks I can pull off if I have to, but let's see how much I can cram in there.

A rough checklist of remaining work includes:

• Single player mode.  This includes the CPU opponent plus the general structure of the single player game.  I'd like to put some simple character endings in there, these will be just text at best.
  • Sound effects and music.  Sound is almost entirely lacking.  Some simple music would be great, but again, space is tight.
  • Tweaks and adjustments.  I need to spend some time playing around with everything and making minor changes.
  • Bug fixes.  There are a few known issues, including one that dates back to before last year's PRGE.
  • Joystick tweaks.  The trak-ball control feels great, but the joystick mode could use some work.

So that's it for now.  When I next post about this project, I plan to have a demo ROM available that should roughly resemble the final product.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Also wanted to mention that I finally managed to get a second trak-ball.  Last year's PRGE was the first time the game had two trak-balls hooked up to it, and there were some issues that I hadn't seen before.  Now that I'm able to do better testing I've worked out all the trak-ball kinks, as far as I can tell.

At some point I'm going to do a nice post in the programming section with all my findings and lessons on 5200 trak-ball support to help anyone else that might want to do a project for these awesome controllers.

• Like 1