IGNORED

$2,500 800 on eBay...

jamm

20 hours ago, jamm said:

I find it fascinating that the seller keeps moving the price up and down on this.  It was down to $1,700 for a while, but now it's back up to $2,985.

What twisted game are you playing, Mister eBay Seller??

I think he (or she) is just enjoying the attention with no real intention of selling.  It's just a "look what I have!" thing.

10 hours ago, jamm said:

So much of the Atari hardware on eBay right now is "no cables, can't test -- $300".  ?

At least the Jupiter Ace guy was trying to test it, so in that regard it's a bit better than all the overpriced untested A8 stuff on eBay. But at nearly 500 USD factoring in shipping, that's a lot of money for something in this sad state, especially considering that it's not much more than a Timex Sinclair in different clothing (unless I'm  mistaken).

However if you are strictly a collector of vintage computers, this one is on the rarity list, having only sold 8000. And what makes it unique is the built-in Forth language. Other than that, it really isn't anything special.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 10:19 PM, bluejay said:

I have one of these just tossed in a box in the garage, must get it out and sell it for tons of cash to some sucker !!! (sorry I mean collector of vintage systems) ?

3 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I have one of these just tossed in a box in the garage, must get it out and sell it for tons of cash to some sucker !!! (sorry I mean collector of vintage systems) ?

Lol. Yeah, everyone else had been selling these for $35, but I guess COVID has driven up demand. :lol:

On 3/20/2020 at 1:22 AM, leech said:

Ha, I think it's the eab amiga forum that already has an insane ebay prices thread.

And over on Lemon64. It's got a whole lot of pages...

On 5/2/2020 at 3:41 AM, TGB1718 said:

Ha, I just told my brother about that, as I have his sitting in a box over at my house.  Still not sure how a PS2 is even considered Retro, but I'm old... I mean to me the ST line is barely 'Retro'.

Why is it that when these people "find" new OS unopened hardware and they take the worst, crappiest pictures that they can so you cant quite see any detail.

They must use a 80's camera for the pic's. Or take them through some foggy Plexiglas. 

That the discoloration doesn't appear uniform and the wrapping is slapped on.

It's like looking at that old picture of big foot, can't quite make out what it is... :) But the photographer swears by it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Atari8bitCarts said:

Why is it that when these people "find" new OS unopened hardware and they take the worst, crappiest pictures that they can so you cant quite see any detail.

They must use a 80's camera for the pic's. Or take them through some foggy Plexiglas. 

That the discoloration doesn't appear uniform and the wrapping is slapped on.

It's like looking at that old picture of big foot, can't quite make out what it is... :) But the photographer swears by it.

Some of those pictures make me laugh. They look like they were taken on an old Polaroid by someone very drunk.

3 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure some groups still use the ST for it's MIDI capabilities which are still good by todays standards

Some groups do, the ST still has some of the tightest midi timing on the planet.

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Some groups do, the ST still has some of the tightest midi timing on the planet.

For sure, you have to do a lot of nonsense to get modern PCs even remotely close.

Granted a lot of musicians don't use MIDI anymore. 

Atari definitely hit upon something awesome when they decided to add those onto the board.

They couldn't bother with sockets on their 8bit line, but those MIDI ports are awesome!

• Like 1

The ST was quite awesome, I bought a Mega ST for the department I worked for, it was used to do all the technical documentation and

technical drawings for the Automated Test System we built, was always fun watching it draw circuit diagrams on an HP 10 pen colour plotter

no special drivers other than what came with the software (GFA Draft), used an RS232 to IEEE488 interface to the plotter.

(sorry I know this is the 8 bit forum, but at least its an Atari ? )

• Like 1