IGNORED

$2,500 800 on eBay...

jamm

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

The ST was quite awesome, I bought a Mega ST for the department I worked for, it was used to do all the technical documentation and

technical drawings for the Automated Test System we built, was always fun watching it draw circuit diagrams on an HP 10 pen colour plotter

no special drivers other than what came with the software (GFA Draft), used an RS232 to IEEE488 interface to the plotter.

(sorry I know this is the 8 bit forum, but at least its an Atari ? )

I love hearing stories like this!  We should start a thread about it.  Only place I ever saw use qn Atari ST for business (it was also a Mega ST) was at a pawn shop.  I was offered the machine as long as I could get their database off their computer and onto a PC... at the time I did not have the equipment / knowledge to do it.  Now it would have been easy!

I could go into more detail, but just to say the ST generated every single test that the system used, data files ported via

RS232 to HP 5000 controllers. It provided core functionality for a £500,000 project back in the 80's.

Just to keep the topic on 8 Bit, I also used it to transfer files from my 130XE to the ST using an interface I built for the 130XE.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DanBoris said:

Based on the pictures in this auction, it appears that the auction the op posted is simply the box that goes inside the colorful sleeve. 

Good catch!

In the photos, there is a little sticker on the front of the machine that says "DOM". Is this indicative of a never-used computer or not?

Edited by R.Cade

50 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

In the photos, there is a little sticker on the front of the machine that says "DOM". Is this indicative of a never-used computer or not?

This sticker inside the cartridge area just indicates this is a DOMestic/NTSC model, it doesn't need to be removed in order to use the system.

3 minutes ago, BillC said:

This sticker inside the cartridge area just indicates this is a DOMestic/NTSC model, it doesn't need to be removed in order to use the system.

In the photos in the auction, this sticker is on the face of the machine (lower right of the keyboard).

At least the Jupiter Ace guy was trying to test it, so in that regard it's a bit better than all the overpriced untested A8 stuff on eBay. But at nearly 500 USD factoring in shipping, that's a lot of money for something in this sad state, especially considering that it's not much more than a Timex Sinclair in different clothing (unless I'm  mistaken).

However if you are strictly a collector of vintage computers, this one is on the rarity list, having only sold 8000. And what makes it unique is the built-in Forth language. Other than that, it really isn't anything special.

While this one is in poor shape and the buyer would be unlikely to find replacement keys, it seems to work and it comes with a lot of probably even rarer accessories, so it‘s way more of a bargain than the thread starting 800. You certainly wouldn’t buy this for productivity but it‘s as rare as it is eccentric. Compared to this even early S100 machines must be prolific.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mimo said:

Agreed, people are being paid to stay at home, it won't last forever.

I hope I'm wrong but I think there is a major depression just around the corner

The really worrisome thing is going to be food supply.  But there has definitely been some job shuffling happening, as companies lay off a bunch of people, they will eventually have to rehire some unless they go under, and who is to say some employees will get the same jobs back.

I didn't think prices would necessarily drop, as some I think are not truly willing to sell their stuff, but are forced to at least try.

The tragedy I see coming is a lot of 'estate' sales, where people who have held onto their systems for decades die due to the virus, so their families sell it off.  Worse are the ones that tbink they collected trash and just toss the stuff in the bin.

Everyone take care of yourselves, and don't go ebay crazy!

(On that note my newly repaired SC1435 had a power switch failure, dude on ebay is selling replacements but had to refund my money as international shipping is still gimped.  So I jammed a piece of paper in there to hold the switch in!)

• Like 1

Just now, jamm said:

Gives all new meaning to the old "Where's the beef?" ad campaign!  ?

Working from home, I saw the same exact discussion this morning on the talk shows. The company said approximately 1/3 of their restaurants are out of beef.  

That said, I know my doc wants me to eat less meat in general (well, “less” period, after 2 months working from home!). We’ll just eat more pasta, dairy and vegetables. 

5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Working from home, I saw the same exact discussion this morning on the talk shows. The company said approximately 1/3 of their restaurants are out of beef.  

That said, I know my doc wants me to eat less meat in general (well, “less” period, after 2 months working from home!). We’ll just eat more pasta, dairy and vegetables. 

So, being diabetic and lactose intolerant... if I eat a Vegan, does that make me a vegetarian cannibal?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jamm said:

I'm wondering if this is an opportunity for the Impossible Burger (which I tried a few months ago and couldn't really tell the difference between it and typical fast food beef) to make more headway.

Lot of folks think so. We tried it. It was okay as a plain, seasoned patty. With cheese and condiments it was pretty good. Makes a decent crumble for red sauce over pasta, or in chili. 

America has a long-term love affair with beef and to a lesser extent pork that will likely lead to a reckoning of sorts in the next generation or two. The energy costs to produce, package, transport and store animal protein products is waaaaaay higher than for plants. My (now-vegan) 20-something kid reminds me of this every time we discuss The Future(TM). 

That said, I enjoyed the hell out of my bacon last Sunday and have another rasher in the freezer. *shrug*

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Lot of folks think so. We tried it. It was okay as a plain, seasoned patty. With cheese and condiments it was pretty good. Makes a decent crumble for red sauce over pasta, or in chili. 

America has a long-term love affair with beef and to a lesser extent pork that will likely lead to a reckoning of sorts in the next generation or two. The energy costs to produce, package, transport and store animal protein products is waaaaaay higher than for plants. My (now-vegan) 20-something kid reminds me of this every time we discuss The Future(TM). 

That said, I enjoyed the hell out of my bacon last Sunday and have another rasher in the freezer. *shrug*

I would start my rant about vegans, but would probably get political,  and no one wants that. 

So back to overly expensive Ataris!

One thing I always find amusing is how much having the original box usually bumps the price.  I literally only care about the original packaging for shipping safety.  At least with the original packaging materials, and also shipped in a larger box, you are more likely to get the thing in one piece!

I got a 1010 in immaculate condition this way.  Unfortunately, I still need to check the belts...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

such BS, I can go to a farm and buy a side of beef for my freezer whenever I want, it's on the way either to or from the auction/flea market... the animal breed, eat, drink, and fart whether  we have them for dinner or not. But hey why not kill off another species so we can 'save the planet'. The same BS made the powers that be limit deer hunting... you know what happened? the deer ate anything they could find, driving up the cost on fruit/vegetable/and other plant based food... they started starving and getting sick.... dead dear... damaged crops.. too many dear... disease... suffering... great job eco warriors!  Next they'll want millions to spay and neuter deer.... rather than just eating them... bambi burgers rock!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

such BS, I can go to a farm and buy a side of beef for my freezer whenever I want, it's on the way either to or from the auction/flea market... the animal breed, eat, drink, and fart whether  we have them for dinner or not. But hey why not kill off another species so we can 'save the planet'. The same BS made the powers that be limit deer hunting... you know what happened? the deer ate anything they could find, driving up the cost on fruit/vegetable/and other plant based food... they started starving and getting sick.... dead dear... damaged crops.. too many dear... disease... suffering... great job eco warriors!  Next they'll want millions to spay and neuter deer.... rather than just eating them... bambi burgers rock!

Ha, this is why we need a higher bear/lion population to help thin out the human one occasionally.  Maybe we could feed eco warriors to them. 

I mean I get the general idea, the buffalo were practically hunted to extinction.   But there aren't that many people that hunt anymore, so let the deer hunting grow. 

Elk meat is pretty tasty as well.  But we are Omnivores, we have evolved that way for whatever reason, so vegans are just going against science.   They are just more tolerable than flat earthers.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Okay, boomer. :)