IGNORED

A Pair of PEB Questions

JonathanHunt

I bought a PEB about 15 years ago on EBay with the hopes of someday getting a TI994/A setup going, but never had a computer to run it with until recently. I haven't started it up yet and wanted to ask a couple questions before I do.

It hasn't been powered in the time I've had it, and I'm guessing some time before that. Is there any pre-work I should do on it before I apply power to it? Test out caps or pre-replace components? I don't want to power it on and have it blow itself up. 

The PEB is pretty well loaded up with a Disk Controller, 32K Ram Card, RS232 Card, the Flex cable interface, and a CorComp TripleTech Card with a speech synth card installed on it. Is there any risk the cards may damage the unit or vice versa if they are out of order?

It also has a clear problem with its floppy drive. The little door you latch down seems to have been knocked off the front and into it, wedged between the drive circuit board and the metal frame of the drive door. I can't figure out how to get the drive out for the life of me. I've removed the four screws (2 under the top cover on the top of the drive cage, and 2 on the bottom side of the unit). It moves around in the cage after that but won't fit out the front that I can see. How the heck do you get the drive out?

Thanks in advance!

PEB's are pretty sturdy critter's. You should make sure all cards are seated in their perspective  slots, plug it in and power it on and see if it lights up, then turn it off and connect the TI to the flex cable with all appropriate cords to tie into a monitor and power, then turn on the PEB and then the TI. If all is well, if you have an Extended Basic cartridge plugged in  go into ti XB and type size. It will list 2 lines with the memory size if the 32k is working. Otherwise only one line.

seconded, PEBs dont blow up..they just make loud fan noises.. you can power it up without any cards in it to make sure it turns on if you want.. depending on the model there's a fuse in the back and also a fuse in the transformer winding.  

As for your drive issue, it sounds like the pcboard may be pushed up and blocking the drive from exiting, it also could be the drive cable being attached to the side of the disk controller and getting hung up in that area of the box.. it exits the drive bay through a very small hole right at the top of the card 

great info here: http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/peb/perf_box.html  

also in the FAQ

• Like 1