IGNORED

Ultimate PC Interface - need help sensing controller

fiudr

I have the Ultimate PC Interface V3 cable, with a ColecoVision Flashback controller plugged in. Which button on the controller do I hold for autosense to detect this controller? I have both switches on the PC interface set up for autosense. I tried button o, but it doesn't seem to be detecting the controller.

Using ColEm or CoolCV and the "Final Test Cartridge" rom, the controller is not detected during the controller test.

Yes, I have followed that correctly..

I contacted the maker of the PC Interface cable, and he believes it's a mapping issue with the emulator (ColEM). I got the controller detected and working fine in CoolCV using the custom config file made available on the Ultimate PC Interface webpage. ColEm detects the controller but the buttons don't map correctly.

I contacted the creator of ColEm and honestly he was rather rude and clearly wasn't interested in offering any help with this.

Which is too bad because ColEm is a great emulator. It offers some nice options that CoolCV doesn't have.

I wish CoolCV was a bit friendlier to use. It's all config files which I struggle with, and it doesn't seem to feature scan lines. I also hate that it's drag-and-drop. I wish it had a more modern interface and file browser.

I'm not really certain why the controller isn't working with ColEm. I'm assuming it's a mapping issue since some of the buttons do random weird things when running the test cartridge rom, and other buttons do nothing. The fact that the emulator sees the controller and even lists it as an option to select under inputs means it's seeing it.

Too bad the author of ColEm seems to be so unfriendly. I've contacted other emulator authors in the past who were very helpful. I wasn't expecting the response I got from him.

8 hours ago, fiudr said:

I'm not really certain why the controller isn't working with ColEm. I'm assuming it's a mapping issue since some of the buttons do random weird things when running the test cartridge rom, and other buttons do nothing. The fact that the emulator sees the controller and even lists it as an option to select under inputs means it's seeing it.

What controller are you using? What Android device? What version of Android?

Coleco support is currently being added to Project Argon, our Android/Amazon/Chromebook emulation system, which will be available later this year.

We're supporting pretty much anything the OS will recognize for input. At the moment (in this early stage) I'm using a Mac keyboard as the keypad input, and a wireless game controller for directions and fire button. We're in the process of working on a more comprehensive way to handle the keypad+overlays on-screen and with controllers, generalized such that we can also use it for 5200 & Intellivision.

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm using the ColecoVision Flashback controller with the Ultimate PC Interface adapter (allows older controllers to plug into a USB port). I'm not using Android, I'm using Windows 10. Though at some point I'd like to also get it working with Retropie.

Edited by fiudr

5 minutes ago, fiudr said:

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm using the ColecoVision Flashback controller with the Ultimate PC Interface adapter (allows older controllers to plug into a USB port). I'm not using Android, I'm using Windows 10. Though at some point I'd like to also get it working with Retropie.

Ah, when I saw ColEm, I assumed Android...

We have Windows on the roadmap, but not likely to happen this year -- we're focused on expanding out the consoles supported before adding desktop.

(If you have Amazon TV or Amazon Fire Tablets, we support those -- I find lots of people have them, but don't think of them right away when thinking systems for emulation!)

• 2 years later...

I have an Ultimate PC interface question that relates to autosense, so I am bumping this thread.

I have Version 2 of the UPCI.  (Actually V1 that was modified).  Anyway.  I'm wondering if autosense should be able to detect the regular intellivision hand controller.  The instructions on the website for V2 list a separate switch configuration for the Inty hand controller (Intellivision Hand Controllers (non-Flashback) - left switch UP, right switch DOWN works), but they also say that autosense should be able to detect it.  Anyone have experience with this?

Ultimate PC Interface for Classic Consoles (intellivision.us)