IGNORED

Text Adventure

satyrsfaction

I finally finished my first ever Atari game, which I made in Batari Basic. I call it Text Adventure. I made it mainly as a means to learn the language. It's a small Adventure-style game, but the items, monsters, etc. are represented by words instead of pictures. My idea behind this is to, in some small way, capture the feel of the tabletop RPGs where you use your imagination. I figured that seeing the word would more readily inside one to imagine the thing than seeing a picture or icon. Whether or not my theory holds up is up to you, I guess. Haha. 

Anyway, the object is to find the Gem and bring it to the temple. The Gem is in the Castle, and you'll need the Key to get inside. You can use the Axe to fight monsters, or the Harp to put them to sleep. There are also two companions you can find: the Hero, who increases your combat abilities, and the Seer, who helps you see in the dark castle. Hope you enjoy, Thanks.

Thanks to orange808 for all his help.

Below is the really, really final, updated, corrected version of Text Adventure! (3/22/20) Enjoy!

text_adventure.bas.bin

Edited by satyrsfaction
  • Like 3

Okay - I just tried it on my Harmony cart, and the screen issue doesn't show up on real hardware for me.  I'm wondering if others are seeing the same issue I am in Stella 6.0.2.

Anyway, fun concept, and it looks good! I like the use of text.  

This problem only occurs when using an older ARM driver for DPC+.  Are you sure you're using the very latest ARM driver?  We experienced this for a ROM in the past, and we added a 'quirk' to the Stella code to account for the older driver.  But only because the ROM was already released on cart.  If you're developing a new ROM from scratch, you should really make sure to use the very latest ARM driver.

Maybe we should create an issue for this on Github?

5 hours ago, satyrsfaction said:

I'm using Atari Dev Studio, and OpenEmu for testing it. Not sure what version of Batari or Stella they use. What is an ARM driver? Sorry, I'm a beginner.

It should be a function of what version of batari Basic you are using.  If you are using Atari Dev Studio, you should definitely have a recent enough version that this shouldn't be an issue, though, so I'm not sure.

9 hours ago, stephena said:

This problem only occurs when using an older ARM driver for DPC+.  Are you sure you're using the very latest ARM driver?  We experienced this for a ROM in the past, and we added a 'quirk' to the Stella code to account for the older driver.  But only because the ROM was already released on cart.  If you're developing a new ROM from scratch, you should really make sure to use the very latest ARM driver.

Maybe we should create an issue for this on Github?

Could you point me to the latest ARM driver? It's quite possible it hasn't been updated in bB for a while.

9 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Could you point me to the latest ARM driver? It's quite possible it hasn't been updated in bB for a while.

If the outdated driver has been in bB all this time, then I would think that all DPC+ games would be running into issues with Stella, too?

I can also confirm the shakes in Stella 6.0.2 - Win10. Happens during sprite collision and slight jitter when entering rooms on the y axis rather then x axis. Like Karl mentioned before are the DFxFRACINC lines being called before drawsceen? From my experience this same issue happens when you do not call those lines and call only drawsceen in DPC+. Also watch out for bankswitching as you may need to call those lines and drawscreen once again in certain cases. I had the same issue with City defender the other day and calling DFxFRACINC lines along with drawsceen after bankswitching resolved the issue.

Edit: Also make sure you have developer settings enabled with the defaults checked. Whilst in Stella press TAB - Developer and enable developer mode. This should show the screen jitter

Edited by TwentySixHundred

Ok, well I do switch banks when the player switches rooms...i look into your suggestion. So the DFxFRACINC lines should or shouldn't be called before draw screen and should or shouldn't be part of the main loop? At any rate, I updated the game so it has two levels now. The second level has random placement of the objects and companions.

text_adventure.bas.bin

1 hour ago, satyrsfaction said:

Ok, well I do switch banks when the player switches rooms...i look into your suggestion. So the DFxFRACINC lines should or shouldn't be called before draw screen and should or shouldn't be part of the main loop? At any rate, I updated the game so it has two levels now. The second level has random placement of the objects and companions.

text_adventure.bas.bin 32 kB · 2 downloads

During collisions the screen jumps and changing rooms seems fine. DFxFRACINC lines need to be in the mainloop and anytime before you call drawsceen.

2 hours ago, satyrsfaction said:

OK, i put the lines in every time I call drawscreen. Did it help?

text_adventure.bas.bin 32 kB · 4 downloads

Yep that's a huge difference and on the right track, only a very small amount of jitter. It's probably something to do with the collision detection code now ?

As mentioned above, this may actually be a bug in the ARM code behind the scenes, and related to how Stella handles it.  So I wouldn't spend too much time yet trying to fix your game, since it might not even be a problem in your game.

If the code has been tested on real hardware and works there, then I'm guessing it's something we need to fix in Stella.  And that you don't need to fix in your game :)

EDIT:  I'll try to find some time this weekend to test on real hardware and confirm whether it works or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephena said:

As mentioned above, this may actually be a bug in the ARM code behind the scenes, and related to how Stella handles it.  So I wouldn't spend too much time yet trying to fix your game, since it might not even be a problem in your game.

If the code has been tested on real hardware and works there, then I'm guessing it's something we need to fix in Stella.  And that you don't need to fix in your game :)

EDIT:  I'll try to find some time this weekend to test on real hardware and confirm whether it works or not.

Thanks @stephena much appreciated, after having a quick look at @satyrsfaction code it's hard to determine. There is multiple maingame loopes and i was suspecting a collision statement was taking place then reverting back to code that alters sprite placement. I could be wrong as everyone has their own style of coding and have vastly different from my mine, however if this is a case of a Stella the bug please report what the issue is as this would be very helpful for us programmers. Thanks for taking your time to look into it ?