IGNORED

Star SG-10C printer ribbon issue

Hello, is anyone familar with/ever used a Star SG-10C printer?  I threaded the typewriter-like ribbon according to the diagram correctly, and on the self test, it prints the first line ok, but then the ribbon slips down and doesn't stay engaged so the print head can swiftly move over it;  I find the ribbon soon out of alignment and thus no inked characters are further printed.

Is this a repair adjustment for alignment on the printer itself I need to get done, or will simply installing a new ribbon do the trick, with the thought that a new ribbon may not be as "loose"?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ok, so here we have 5 photos of the ridiculous journey my printer takes as it starts from being properly threaded in the gap between the metal piece and the print head. I believe I have the ribbon loaded properly, per its diagram inside, but as the printer moves in action, you can see how the ribbon comes undone.  (Hopefully the photos will load in the sequence in which I took and labelled them:  starfirst, starsecond, etc.)

Don't know if this is an alignment issues, since line 1 prints ok and then it, well, doesn't... see what you think.

starfirst.jpg

starsecond.jpg

starthird.jpg

starfourth.jpg

starfifth.jpg

The ribbon goes right between the metal head and the plastic guide.  You can screw it up easily and put the ribbon on the wrong side of something.  I had one of these when I was 13 and printed 1000s of pages - you can do it :)

I went to check my threading of the ribbon.  I have it right in front of the small metal piece.  

Thus the ribbon sits after that nozzle-type black end, and in front of the small metal piece, I believe which is correct, yes?

The last self test I tried actually made the printer cycle back and forth, back and forth,  incesssantly, so not only was it not printing the test characters any longer, but it just kept on running, like a runaway train!

Now what to do?

It's really hard to see what's going on. Is it possible a pin is stuck, and not returning into the head? (thus pulling the ribbon along).

I don't know what else could be happening.

If it's not the head, it must be the ribbon. These are cheap - try a new one?

Wish I could be more help.