IGNORED

What Atari item do you wish you had?

kheller2

The Black Box I had was a trade I made with Bob Puff for several TransKeys. Personally I think I got the better deal, since he also threw in a hard drive.

It was a great piece of kit, and worked perfectly right out of the box. The only thing I didn't initially like was how big it was to be dangling off the back of my 130XE, so I ended up building it all into a horizontal PC case (all the rage back in the early 90's), and in this configuration everything was very solid. Of course I used a TransKey to adapt the normal PC keyboard to work in place of the 130XE's keyboard. It was a great sleeper system to bring to work, since everybody thought it was just another PC. However the saddest thing was one day I had it back home with the lid off so that I could add another floppy, and the damn cats decided to use it as a litter box and peed inside. I didn't see this happen and was done with my floppy upgrade, so I put the lid back on and took it back to work. This was on a Saturday. So come Monday I go to work and turned on the Atari/PC for the first time since buttoning it back up, and the thing went bonkers. Later I discovered what had happened, but after sitting for the weekend with pee on it, the Black Box would never work again ? .

• Sad 4

I'm actually quite satisfied at this point with all the Atari stuff I have, with the exception of a CX-85 keypad to go with my 800, but they aren't rare and I'm sure I'll get one soon.

What I do wish is that I had all my Atari and related equipment all up and running at the same time instead of what seems to be a constant rotation of break-downs over the last few years. Hopefully I'll have this wish one day soon.

Other than that, a large box of all of my original software that I accidentally left behind back in 1996 when I moved from Wisconsin to California.

• Like 1

Attainable:  

- An Atari 810 disk drive with the middle 1/3rd flip lid (Rather than the "barn door") + Happy Mod upgrade - so many memories of that with my original 800 (which I still have).  I bought one (no happy upgrade) a few years ago but it was damaged in transit :(.  

- (Not Atari) My first modem - which I believe was a Bell Atlantic 300 bps acoustic coupler device; I thought it was a black case with blue buttons or a blue label on it.  

- Atari SC1435 monitor

Never attainable:

- I was lucky enough as a kid to have access to harddrives on the 8bit - a Supra 10MB, and later Supra 20MB;  would like them to magically reappear with my BBS Express stuff on it :).   Oh, and a couple pages of 'logs' from the BBS generated by our dot matrix printer.  

- The 1040ST I lent to someone that never came back.  

Just want a short taste:

- Atari 8bit touch tablet.   We had one, and I remember using it for a bit.  

- Atari Falcon and TT;  no nostalgia as I never owned one, but I would love a few hours of hands on time just to see what might have been. 

I am likely going to thin out my 8bit collection a little bit later this year..  reduce an 800XL or 2, and maybe a 1200XL, though I feel like I should keep those.  

On 3/9/2020 at 9:54 PM, mytek said:

The Black Box I had was a trade I made with Bob Puff for several TransKeys. Personally I think I got the better deal, since he also threw in a hard drive.

It was a great piece of kit, and worked perfectly right out of the box. The only thing I didn't initially like was how big it was to be dangling off the back of my 130XE, so I ended up building it all into a horizontal PC case (all the rage back in the early 90's), and in this configuration everything was very solid. Of course I used a TransKey to adapt the normal PC keyboard to work in place of the 130XE's keyboard. It was a great sleeper system to bring to work, since everybody thought it was just another PC. However the saddest thing was one day I had it back home with the lid off so that I could add another floppy, and the damn cats decided to use it as a litter box and peed inside. I didn't see this happen and was done with my floppy upgrade, so I put the lid back on and took it back to work. This was on a Saturday. So come Monday I go to work and turned on the Atari/PC for the first time since buttoning it back up, and the thing went bonkers. Later I discovered what had happened, but after sitting for the weekend with pee on it, the Black Box would never work again ? .

I guess cat piss is far more deadly to electronics than cat puke. My ST was fine after the cat thought I wouldn't notice him wretching into the slots at the top of the unit.

The BB did seem to be more sensitive to ... uh ... atmospheric conditions and more likely to fail than just about any other piece of electronics out there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xebec said:

- Atari Falcon and TT;  no nostalgia as I never owned one, but I would love a few hours of hands on time just to see what might have been. 

Me too, would love to get my hands on those, I have and early 520STM and a 1040 STFM but those bad boys always made want to take out a second mortgage 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

I guess cat piss is far more deadly to electronics than cat puke.

As a cat owner I can confirm that Cat pee is comparable to the Alien Blood in Aliens...To para quote Rocky IV, "Whatever it touches, it destroys"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

As a cat owner I can confirm that Cat pee is comparable to the Alien Blood in Aliens...To para quote Rocky IV, "Whatever it touches, it destroys"

Yep it definitely eats electronics like an acid. And really wreaks havoc if it goes unnoticed for several days.

I got a kick out of the comparison to the blood that ate through several decks in the 'Aliens' movie ? .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

When I moved into this house, I put new carpet in the upstairs rooms.  A cat had been pissing under the bed in one of the rooms.  Removing that carpet was a wonderful experience.  I then had to bleach the wooden flooring underlayment for 3 days then painted over it with sealant.  It still reeked of piss when the carpet installers showed up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

When I moved into this house, I put new carpet in the upstairs rooms.  A cat had been pissing under the bed in one of the rooms.  Removing that carpet was a wonderful experience.  I then had to bleach the wooden flooring underlayment for 3 days then painted over it with sealant.  It still reeked of piss when the carpet installers showed up.

Probably a Tom. Ours stinks the house out when he's been in the litter tray.

The disability he gained in September has been a two-edged sword. He didn't have a litter tray before but he's now house bound and can't jump very high. If we forgot to put him out before, we'd sometimes find cat shit or cat piss in the sink. But at least that was easy to clean and didn't stink the house out for long. Litter is a different matter but I am NOT wasting half a bag of litter just to make the house smell nicer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/8/2020 at 9:39 PM, Faicuai said:

Only two things, at this level:

1. 1400 XL.

2. 800-D.

That's about it.

Here... Only thing beyond the 800 (or 800-D) that I would *seriously* consider it, today...

F72D052F-D280-4F30-9532-915A19E20162.thumb.jpeg.a53901017432efd640a529da92b37001.jpeg

XL-generation at its very finest, the way it should have always been. Would pack and dismiss all my 800XLs just for one decent-looking / working 1400XL...

But I will only see it... in my dreams. 

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

Plenty of Atari stuff I've not owned or in fact never seen.

Wouldn't mind a Computer Space machine - it's the physical form that does it for me, great looking cabinet.

Pong not so much so but amazing how close it is to the standard upright that lined up like clones until the 1990s.

A Jaguar - fairly sure I've not even seen one for real.

A Falcon - same.

If I had the space, an arcade game or two and a pinball or two.

51 minutes ago, Rybags said:

A Jaguar - fairly sure I've not even seen one for real.

Really?

Not a huge Jag fan but I have one lying around here somewhere that's a bit of a fixer-upper. I should get around to testing it sometime. I'd let it go cheap to someone who can put some time into it.

On 3/11/2020 at 2:14 PM, Faicuai said:

Here... Only thing beyond the 800 (or 800-D) that I would *seriously* consider it, today...

F72D052F-D280-4F30-9532-915A19E20162.thumb.jpeg.a53901017432efd640a529da92b37001.jpeg

XL-generation at its very finest, the way it should have always been. Would pack and dismiss all my 800XLs just for one decent-looking / working 1400XL...

But I will only see it... in my dreams. 

Just get a 1200XL and upgrade it with an U1MB or something and build your own PBI like I did! My 1200XL has everything and a hole lot more than the 1400XL ever had, and as far as speech goes, S.A.M. is good enough for me!

I wish I still had all my old floppies.  I only managed to hang on to half a dozen or so.  Most of the games and utilities can be found on sites, but the files I created myself (short stories, school reports, dumb little programs, etc.) those are lost forever.  ?

Oh, and I wish I still had my Koala Pad.  I really loved that thing.

• Like 1