IGNORED

What Atari item do you wish you had?

kheller2

2 hours ago, rdefabri said:

Wow that's awesome!  Is the build just the board + case?

Each part is independent. So the bare board would need to be purchased, then the parts, and then finally the assembly. The case is separate and of course optional, and that would need to be 3D printed (there are services that do that).

------

I'd love to have a 65XEP, but that falls into the 1450XLD category.

7f4ae7511e828aae54f7082188d197b0.jpg

I'd love to have my Hercules Graphics Card Atari 8-bit PBI interface prototype + the amber screen TTL monitor that went with it, both of which I gave away many years ago :( .

So realistically, I guess I would love to have my Bob Puff XF551 Dual 3.5+5.25 mod chip again as well as the Black Box. Not that I really need them or would use them now a days, but more for the memories.

Actually a 400 with the official 48K Atari upgrade would be nice to have again, since that was my first computer ? .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JR> said:

I always wanted the Black Box.  I do still kick myself for selling my 1090XL though ?

I had one. Couldn't get it to work. Had the floppy board as well. Sold it as faulty. Wish I hadn't as I now have more of a grasp of electronics than I had then and could probably get all the parts I needed from China.

It's probably still in Germany somewhere. ?

Browsing through the thread mad me realize that I have a lot of the stuff other people covet and should spend more time using it and installing all the impulse buy add-ons and improvements that have accumulated over the years.

Beyond reason I wouldn't reject an Amdek 3" floppy drive, if mostly as a curio. Outside the 8-bit-realm I'd be tempted by a JagCD.

I'd like to have my 256MB MIO, 20MB hard drive, and my 130XE adapter (for MIO) and RTime8 clock.  I've got the 130XE again.  Running SpartaDOS, that machine felt like the equal of any IBM clone.  I just needed an XEP80 to complete the system.

I wish I still had my Indus GTs, and 1050 Happy drive... but then again, I don't have many floppy disks left, and have gone 'modern' in that regard!

I keep talking myself out of adding a 1200XL and 400 to my collection, well and a 65XE...

I did get someone I work with to splurge on a 130XE with all the things, so chalk up another convert!

As a previous person said, a lot...

Easiest way to say it is, I want all my old Atari stuff back. I even wish I had never returned this small Atari printer I accidentally purchased at Sears (I know, strange) thinking I was buying a bigger printer. Forget what it was, looked like a cash-register-type printer. But maybe mostly I want my 520ST back. Along with my youthful Atari-playing days (summer, new Antic is out, all that)...

That's what I want back. In terms of what I wish I had at least at one time, if not now necessarily, that's a lot, as well, but I would have loved to have an Atari 7800...

Edited by AAA177

I would like to buy a real midi interface I could plug on the i/o expansion port of a 800XL... With a real address decoder with jumpers to choose one, not a sio to midi converter. I owned a real one once upon a time in the 80's, with a Rockwell UART inside. It was unique, not a printed board but a wrapped one, got a lot of fun with it.

15 hours ago, Voxel said:

I'm seeing a lot of love for the old 400 here.

Yeah, its a machine that I initially wasn't a fan of as I found the keyboard hard work BUT when you look at the 400 you cannot help but love the really space / future design look, its a classic little machine that deserves a place in every one's collection and as I said before, its the only machine that Star Raiders just looks right, you could just see it in the craft as its computer :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yeah, its a machine that I initially wasn't a fan of as I found the keyboard hard work BUT when you look at the 400 you cannot help but love the really space / future design look, its a classic little machine that deserves a place in every one's collection and as I said before, its the only machine that Star Raiders just looks right, you could just see it in the craft as its computer :)

It was my first machine, so I've always bristled at the hate it got.  Even the keyboard wasn't bad if you were an excited kid typing in your first BASIC programs.  (And I had countless hours of Defender and my made-up ATASCII-based game, Memo Pad Raiders, before I finally got that BASIC cartridge...)

I've been cleaning up a 400 I recently got an eBay, and it's now working thanks to suggestions from the forum.  I'll post some pictures when she's all prettied up.

Edited by jamm

I don't think anyone could really hate the 400, perhaps be fed up when the membrane on the space bar gave up but hate, nah..

I remember them as being the machine I learned to solder on, adding ram upgrades to them for the shop. Great memories...(if not slightly stressful at the time), "you have done the Heathkit soldering course now solder in this upgrade to a customers very expensive machine"...Gulp...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

I'd kill for a 1MB ICD MIO.  It was just so damned sexy.  A pair of Happy 1050's would be pretty damned cool.  Those are still attainable and on my list.  There are a few re-casing projects I have been wanting to do.

130XE with Ultimate 1MB and VBXE, XF-551 PCB, SIO Splitter, and SIO2SD with front-mounted screen in a Mega ST desktop case with PS/2 adapter.

800XL with 256K RAMBO in a 1200XL case with keyboard adapted and cartridge slot rerouted.

If I only had the time.

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Absolutely agree. I was lucky to get an 800 while a friend got a 400 but I have to admit that I found the 400's angles and lines sexier than the 800's typewriter styling. And the cartridge door popped open all the way when released while the 800's opened just a bit and had to be moved up by hand. 

As the 400 got upgraded from a console to a computer to play Star Raiders, the "only machine on which Star Raiders just looks right" is fitting. And while I did not enjoy typing on that membrane keyboard (even though it was miles better than the ZX-81s, those multiple colors did look better than the uniform brown on the 800. Now imagine a multi-shot-injected 800 keyboard with tan/orange graphics symbols...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, slx said:

Absolutely agree. I was lucky to get an 800 while a friend got a 400 but I have to admit that I found the 400's angles and lines sexier than the 800's typewriter styling. And the cartridge door popped open all the way when released while the 800's opened just a bit and had to be moved up by hand. 

As the 400 got upgraded from a console to a computer to play Star Raiders, the "only machine on which Star Raiders just looks right" is fitting. And while I did not enjoy typing on that membrane keyboard (even though it was miles better than the ZX-81s, those multiple colors did look better than the uniform brown on the 800. Now imagine a multi-shot-injected 800 keyboard with tan/orange graphics symbols...

You clearly hadn't put some silicone grease on that 800 lid like I recently did on mine.  Opens all the way smooth as butter!  ?

Tan/orange multi-shot keycaps would be amazing!  Amazingly expensive, too, unfortunately.  ?

Mine is easy.  All the software I wrote that ended up unceremoniously in a land fill circa 2004.  I was moving the family back to California and decided the four huge boxes (36" x 36" x 36") of Atari stuff was not going to make the trip.  It had been sitting in those boxes untouched since ~1992.  I tested the hardware, sold off everything that worked in four large lots and pitched the rest in the landfill which sadly included all my disks.  Thought I'd never pass that way again, but how wish I had the foresight to at least hold onto the software.  It's not that I was itching to use that old software, but more the pride in what I had made.  A few things survived as my younger brother still had some of my stuff on his floppies.  

I've had the 1 Meg MIO, two ATR-8000s, Supra HDD, black metal cased 850, but I would have traded it all for my code back.  

Edited by ACML
  • Like 1