IGNORED

New Game Idea - Homebrew

4 hours ago, TIX said:

Getting there !! still working on details..

I had to make it a little smaller but it's more nippy now  :D

biplane-loop.gif.63492389fdbf1d93e794bc157a85c174.gif

I suspect you don't have many sprites left, but you think you can fit a larger bomb for the blimp ?

blimp-test8.gif.1f4ff463515ce83c8586378c2e3ed0d7.gif

bomb.gif.c0aeecf6bbe4dac8288efc2797665cf8.gif

Nice... it should be possible to incorporate everything! Thanks!

Got any explosion graphics? 8x8 tile

Edited by cmadruga

49 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

Loving the implementation of the blimp, how it is slower but the bombs are more devastating.

Not sure how I did this but it let me make it to the second level. Once Level 2 started it reset misses back to 5.

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 9.13.06 AM 1.png

Thanks for letting me know, first time I see this. If you find a way to replicate it let me know. 
BTW, one change I did was to penalize the player with 1 miss if he would not even drop a bomb during the pass. I assume it’s something with that, I will check.
That is intended to put a little more tension...

Updated rom is attached.

- Added a new airship type, triggered by hitting the "M" tile.

- Sequence of screen layouts and sky colors is now randomized... for a little variety.

- I think I caught the bug reported by Steve, let's see.

- Frame rate a little smoother now.

- Incorporated new blimp animation and larger (exaggerated!) bomb size.

Still missing sounds and music... any donations? ?

TIX: I adapted your blimp bomb to fit into a single sprite. Should have the additional airplane frames included on the next release. 

CanyonBomba_WIP03152020.rom

• Like 3

New airship is cool but the trajectory of its bomb is too horizontal, especially if you are trying to hit something on the bottom row.

You have to fire almost instantly as soon as it appears on screen to hit something on the opposite side. 

Random levels/colours also good though i did once end up with a level with 3 layers of earth/ground that ran the entire width of the canyon

mixed in-between the levels of boulder/targets, which made it impossible to hit the boulders.

Question, the earth/ground can be damaged by your bombs but do not count as hits, is this correct?

Yes, well, the idea is to use different airships to get different things done.

It generally pays to save the Zeppelin for last when you get 1 or 2 rows still standing for instance.

The missile airship would probably be better used at the beginning. Still, careful not to blow up the Zeppelin tile, and vice versa!

(I'm thinking about adding a 3rd special airship with yet another bomb effect.)

On what counts as a miss: 

- using special airships never counts as misses. Fire at will. You should be able to get 2-3 shots with the Zep, and at least 1 with the White airplane.

- With the regular airplane, as long as you hit at least one sphere with your bomb, you are good. If you just hit a boulder, then it's a miss.

- if you pass with the regular plane without dropping any bombs, it's a miss.

That level you mentioned with the 3 layers was actually done on purpose. You should think about the best way to unlock the Zeppelin tile so you can start clearing things up. It's kind of a puzzle element I'm trying to develop...

Edited by cmadruga

6 minutes ago, TIX said:

Sprite sheet so far.

I couldn't help retouching the blimp's bomb ;)

also added a small explosion !

bi-plane.png.7a3e3b49f7d3b531096a8af43bd62e8c.png

I wonder what the 3rd craft could be..  something other than a bi-plane ..

These 3 have the most unique profiles that might translate  well

3E344DA3-199D-413F-A6B2-54C41DE8CC9C.jpeg

DEE753AF-909E-4471-8BE1-9C765D8A571A.jpeg

D6BCF26F-0C34-4152-8201-808040483A04.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, now we are cooking with gas!

BTW, I’m reluctant to say this, TIX ? ... because you can come up with a lot of irresistible gfx very quickly... but there’s room here to go a little wild. The little spheres are fair game for instance, as long as color limits are respected of course...

I’m thinking about adding tiles to outline constructions across the canyon as well... potentially bridges that would block your bombs, etc. Right now I’m just using the same boulders that make the canyon walls...

Anyway, just some ideas to work on a rainy day.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 2

@TIXInstead of a png... Do you use tile editors? This may make our coordination a little easier...

Here's a .tmx and a tileset I'm using. The map shows the 5 different layouts I have at the moment. Feel free to edit the tileset directly... just try not to move existing stuff around too much as some of it conveniently maps to actual GRAM positions.

Palette is not completely Intellivision-accurate, but it's ok.

Just have to be mindful of color mode limitations. For instance, some of your explosion frames do not work because they have 3 colors (white, red, background).

Thanks, bud!

canyon.png

canyon.tmx

Edited by cmadruga

10 hours ago, cmadruga said:

@TIXInstead of a png... Do you use tile editors? This may make our coordination a little easier...

Here's a .tmx and a tileset I'm using. The map shows the 5 different layouts I have at the moment. Feel free to edit the tileset directly... just try not to move existing stuff around

I don't really use tile editor I'm afraid.. so no way to open the tmx file.

Just a pic of the levels in real size, or the dimensions of the inty screen will do !

I still can't decide on the third craft.. I really don't want to make it a giant plane ?

how about something that don't stay afloat unless you press a key to make it fly (like joust) ?

or maybe something like a balloon/heli combination out of Jules Vernes ?!?

mystery.gif.fd805cab6fac18c31f0bd7d9fab52f52.gif still working on this..

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, TIX said:

I wonder what the 3rd craft could be..  something other than a bi-plane ..

Since you are going down the WWI era path... You have a fighter and a Zeppelin, so the 3rd could be a bomber...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesenflugzeug

The other obvious one would be a balloon, but those aren't meant to be steerable. Perhaps that would be the idea though -- it would sort of be a penalty, it would take a while to somewhat "drunken walk" (create a randomized direction/velocity vector, execute, repeat)  until it exits one side or the other. Perhaps with limited bombs to drop. So you could end up wasting alot of time waiting to get blown off one side or the other.

2 hours ago, bhall408 said:

The other obvious one would be a balloon, but those aren't meant to be steerable. Perhaps that would be the idea though -- it would sort of be a penalty, it would take a while to somewhat "drunken walk" (create a randomized direction/velocity vector, execute, repeat)  until it exits one side or the other. Perhaps with limited bombs to drop. So you could end up wasting alot of time waiting to get blown off one side or the other.

as a matter of fact I already have a balloon, I thought you have to keep pumping gas to keep it airborne  ?!?

mystery4.gif.a2527df5bbf14a0e08b0430953fccba9.gif

15 hours ago, TIX said:

I don't really use tile editor I'm afraid.. so no way to open the tmx file.

Just a pic of the levels in real size, or the dimensions of the inty screen will do !

You could just get Tiled, it is free and so easy to use. Things are already at the right scale, and you can more easily test and visualize things.

But anyway, here is a 320x200 pic without targets.

image.png.feb9b9a0c8f5757963e85cf39dd96828.png

13 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

What about the airships Steve Jones suggested? Those look pretty cool.

A balloon seems redundant with the zep.

Yep... That is why if you want 3, I could see fighter, heavy bomber, zeppelin. All of which are dropping bombs...

If you were looking for a reason to have fighter (which doesn't have bombs) vs bomber, I could see perhaps adding ballon barrages (ie, balloon on a tether). If you fly through the tether, you are destroyed. But the fighter can shoot the balloons. All of that is sounding complicated/not in the simple riff on canyon bomber, but that would be a reason to have 3 ;-)

Ok, so taking the fighter idea in consideration for now... I like it, but would need to develop it further... this is where we stand:

image.thumb.png.dca219046c4ec269a440cf4044dbc9da.png

Maybe the "missile plane" could be further refined... maybe use one of Steve Jones's planes to represent it (right now I use a stretched biplane)... then tweak bomb trajectory a bit...

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1