IGNORED

Experiences with eBay Best Offer

boxpressed

On 4/18/2020 at 11:40 PM, Atari_Bill said:

I just made a$20 offer on a $25 item.  The counter ...   $24.75.  Are you serious?  Why bother?

This does seem a bit odd. If they are really wanting $25 for said item, then just don't put the BO as an option in the auction? Unless it is like the clock game and they want to see how high they can get you to go on the counter. So say they counter with the $24.75, then you come back with $22or $23. So now that I think about this, they are just trying to get you to offer as much as possible to make the most from the sale. I makes sense but then again, I rarely...RARELY sell on ebay so I'm not up on all the new etiquette. 

If I make an offer, and the seller doesn't even respond, but simply lets it expire, I try again. 2nd or 3rd time of no response tells me the seller is one not to care about details. So I keep a list of sellers never to buy from.

And sure enough if I go and look at their feedback (which I shoulda done in the first place) I find negs.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

This does seem a bit odd. If they are really wanting $25 for said item, then just don't put the BO as an option in the auction? Unless it is like the clock game and they want to see how high they can get you to go on the counter. So say they counter with the $24.75, then you come back with $22or $23. So now that I think about this, they are just trying to get you to offer as much as possible to make the most from the sale. I makes sense but then again, I rarely...RARELY sell on ebay so I'm not up on all the new etiquette. 

If they’re pulling that I didn’t want to buy from them anyway.   I declined the offer and moved on. 

I have someone not paying on a mini pac-man tabletop modern toy and also another who decided they had no idea on the difference between DS and 3DS when buying Castlevania (which is now relisted.)  Castlevania was one that someone popped for at the near end of my listings which is more annoying because of that fact.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:16 PM, boxpressed said:

Over the past couple of weeks, I've had two sales go south AFTER a buyer made me a best offer. In both cases, the offer was about 30% below the BIN, and I wanted to move these things out, so I accepted. Then the buyers don't pay and don't respond to messages. I opened unpaid item cases, and after a week or so, eBay lets you close the case and refunds your selling fees.

But I'm more interested in the psychology of this behavior. It seems stranger than hitting a BIN and having buyer's remorse. I guess you could get sticker shock once you see the total with shipping and--now--sales tax. One buyer had 0 feedback, and the other had 11, so it could have been just a game on their part. Which makes the psychological angle even weirder.

I think sometimes you can get stuck with making offers which seem like great prices when you win but then if all of them get accepted the price piles up. I've just contacted a US seller about getting some 2nd gen games as they have a few things I don't see this side of the pond very often, and will probably be easier getting a bulk sale than trying to get them individually. Going down their list I was like "yeah I'll have that.. And that... And that..." and then you realise you're looking down the 3 figure number territory, and then paying import tax on top of that, and suddenly what seems like a good deal is less so. Frustrating when the offer is formally made and accepted though. I would snap up loads of things if I was able to get it 30% off! 

There's only been a couple of times where I don't pay straight away, and that's when the offer was made when I was sleeping due to time difference. I don't think I've ever not paid within 12 hours of an accepted offer/auction win. 

The strange ones I find is those that BIN at full price and then dont pay... 

On 4/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, boxpressed said:

Over the past couple of weeks, I've had two sales go south AFTER a buyer made me a best offer. In both cases, the offer was about 30% below the BIN, and I wanted to move these things out, so I accepted. Then the buyers don't pay and don't respond to messages. I opened unpaid item cases, and after a week or so, eBay lets you close the case and refunds your selling fees.

But I'm more interested in the psychology of this behavior. It seems stranger than hitting a BIN and having buyer's remorse. I guess you could get sticker shock once you see the total with shipping and--now--sales tax. One buyer had 0 feedback, and the other had 11, so it could have been just a game on their part. Which makes the psychological angle even weirder.

I always say avoid low ballers, I had a sealed copy of pokemon black and it had some scuffs and a tear in the cellophane, both clearly pictured and described. Guy low balls at 60 but I figure what ever, just clear it out.  The guy immediately starts hounding me about getting it shipped, like asking within hours why it hasn't been received by the post office yet.  The game gets picked up the next day and immediately the guy is asking why isn't it tracking  yet.  He finally receives it and opens a return claim stating it  wasn't as pictured but whatever I'll take the return and sell it for  more with a little patience anyway.  He immediately starts asking for just a partial refund saying 30 would be fine, I say no, then the next day 25, then 20, and I keep saying just send it back.  On the very last day he can return it he finally does.  Leaves negative feedback. Returns it in the box I sent, but with no packaging materials.  Call ebay, show them his behavior and they remove the feedback.  Anyway get it back, relist it, promptly get an offer for 80 and the guy that paid more left positive feedback.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1