IGNORED

Modern 8-bit computer ATARI style.

Sort of.  We already have the 1088XEL though not sure what CPU specs it has.

Ultimate 1 Meg memory/ROM upgrade.  Accelerated CPUs such as Rapidus.  Better video such as UAV, Sophia and VBXE.

The best modern day Atari IMO would be something with at least 1 Meg RAM + VBXE and it's 512K.  An accelerated 65816 CPU to at least 14 MHz.  And IDE type interface.

I've seen 1 or 2 of 8bitguy's dream computer but it doesn't do a lot for me.

Realistically I think creations based on legacy computers are better since it then gives you the huge off-the-shelf collection of software to use.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Realistically I think creations based on legacy computers are better since it then gives you the huge off-the-shelf collection of software to use.

You beat me to the line.

That's exactly what I wanted to say.

I think there is a big risk in the 8-Bit guy's project: the software.

Sure that designing a new computer is fun for those who are involved in the project.

But the success of such a computer is the software library and the number of guys ready to port or write software.

With the 1088XEL, MyTek has accomplished a fantastic work where you have the best of everything:

Software: each piece of software that exists can run on the 1088XEL.

Speed: if you can afford it, you can buy a Rapidus.

Video: you have several video output with the best quality ever and if you want a more powerful video chip, you can put a VBXE inside.

Sound: you get a stereo POKEY out of the box.

Build: you can buld it yourself if this is the fun part for you or buy a ready-to-use unit.

Hack: open project where you can design extensions if you want.

The only issue I see here is the price which is high.

They seem to have a pretty busy bunch of enthusiasts coding up quite a bit of stuff. Personally, I’d much rather have something like the C65 Mega. I hope to pick up a C256 Foenix towards the end of this year.

Back to Atari type systems similar to The 8 Bit Guy thing, there is a man working on something heavily inspired by the Atari 8 bitters, as well as the ZX. One of this community’s gurus is helping on that project, I think. 

Link >> http://catrinlabs.cl/pokey-audio-compy/

Another project that might be of interest is at https://ezcontents.org.

He has an 800XL PCB Remake, which fits right into an 800XL case.

Here's the article about how he got started remaking the 800XL PCB.

https://ezcontents.org/atari-800xl-pcb-remake

Here's his bill of materials.

https://ezcontents.org/atari-800xl-bill-materials-bom

He isn't finished yet, but it looks good.

Edited by pusakat
Added links to blog articles specifically about the 800XL PCB
  • Like 4

So many cool projects!  There have been so many attempts to create a newer/faster/better machine based on 70's/80's microcomputer fundamentals.  Even those projects that get completed tend to fizzle out over time in terms of user interest, however.  I think there are two problems with any significantly new computer: 1.) it will not have any nostalgia behind it, and 2.) it won't have any limitations. 

The first issue is pretty obvious - part of the love and interest for these old machines is that they're tied to our youth and tied to a specific period in the past. This isn't the only reason people love them, but I think it's a bigger reason than a lot of people realize.

The second issue is not as obvious, but what I mean is that there no real limitations on a newly-designed system.  Yes, people will set their own limitations on what can and can't be added to a new design, but it would be trivially easy to overstep any self-imposed boundary and make a system that approaches the complexity of typical modern PC's.  I think we underestimate the fun of working under all the restrictions of 40-year-old systems, and the challenge in working within their limitations is part of the enjoyment of using them.  There's no question that using a modern PC is easier and more productive, so why do we keep going back to these extremely limited old computers?

Anyway, these projects are fun hardware exercises in and of themselves, but none of their predecessors have succeeded in maintaining a community around them for very long, and I don't see how any of the new projects will be different in that regard.

• Like 2

Commodore 65 - yes but not really any working examples around.  Supposedly a recreation project called Mega 65 was to recreate it but still in progress.

Super Atari - maybe?  I'm not sure what the compatibility matrix is among VBXE, U1Meg, 1088XEL and the popular accelerated CPUs.

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 5:44 AM, Rybags said:

Commodore 65 - yes but not really any working examples around.  Supposedly a recreation project called Mega 65 was to recreate it but still in progress.

Super Atari - maybe?  I'm not sure what the compatibility matrix is among VBXE, U1Meg, 1088XEL and the popular accelerated CPUs.

Dang, I forgot to upload this in January. TPUG in Toronto has at least three members who have a working C65. The gent pictured here said that there are several native apps (including a word processor, at least one game, and a...paint program?) that were coded by other members (original source code from...?)

Untitled_Message.zip