IGNORED

Keyboard Problems

800xl_1984

21 minutes ago, JagChris said:

I'm assuming there are chip pullers to use for these ICs or will they pop in and out by hand?

I never use those things. Take a small, flat blade screwdriver, slide the blade under one end and gently lift one side of the chip just enough to break the friction but not all the way. Repeat on the other side. After that the chip should lift easy right out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok does anyone have a link to a pic of a labelled 600XL motherboard so I know whats what? How about where to order the repro Mylar for the keyboard? And name of replacement keyboard chips is 4051s? I want to grab a few of them.

In the meantime I'm working up the nerve to take the keyboard deep dive. All this talk of knackering has me spooked.

Thanks again everybody.

Brad's crazy. I haven't had the run in others have had with him but I tried to buy a Lynx flex circuit from him and he told me he was out but apparently is still selling them to others.

Thank you for the link.

Am going to try the Mylar clean first because it doesn't require i order and wait for things. It's been 20 years. I miss the 8bit.

Me too. 

A sidenote digression. Growing up I had an Atari 800XL, my friend had the C64. You know the huge rivalry. He'd get games on his C64 like Conan, Bruce Lee, Raid over Moscow and I'd get their counterparts on my Atari. We'd play the crap out of them and compare versions. Disappointing to see shoddy ports in comparison like Raid over Moscow and games that never made the transition like Raid on Bungeling Bay, Movie Monsters. They were gems.

But we had known each other since real young. Way before all that. But we fell out of touch over 20 years ago. And last December i found out he got hit by a car and died. So it's with a bit of feeling when I see these games again that we played so often together.  Right now my system is running Gemstone Warrior and hanging right next to the TV is his picture on the memorial card. And I can feel his judgement. A part of us will always be back in his room playing his C64, raiding Bungeling Bay.

And I thank you all for your help I really do.

• Sad 1

Before you disassemble your entire keyboard, try the easy stuff first.

1) clean the keyboard connector contacts on the PCB and on the keyboard tail.  Pay particular attention to the suspect pins.

If that doesn't get it all working, then

2) swap the two 4051s around.  Do you have the same bad keys, or did they move to another row or column?  If so, then you have a bad 4051.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StickJock said:

Before you disassemble your entire keyboard, try the easy stuff first.

1) clean the keyboard connector contacts on the PCB and on the keyboard tail.  Pay particular attention to the suspect pins.

If that doesn't get it all working, then

2) swap the two 4051s around.  Do you have the same bad keys, or did they move to another row or column?  If so, then you have a bad 4051.

Ok thanks. 

Problem persists. Cleaned ends of ribbon cable with soft cloth and window cleaner. Used compressed air for electronics to blow out ribbon cable slot. reseated. Rinse repeat. 

I have nothing small enough to go into the ribbon slot.  No obvious pin bends that I could see.

Completely dead from 7--> break key. Though yesterday for a brief period(5 minutes maybe) it worked intermittently. Since its that one row connected to that one pin I can't imagine it being dirty Mylar. I see no breaks but tomorrow will go forward with complete Mylar cleaning.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

with the order/min.order etc etc... maybe it's best people start doing group orders from Brad, using an accepted friend of Brad to do so...

that way everyone wins... including Brad as he will get a sale that would otherwise be lost...

Last time I tried to order for someone else, the douche threatened to ban me as well.  Good luck with that.  I'm too old and grumpy to deal with this kind of shit from people for silly 40 year old junk (according to the rest of the world, nobody of which cares about or knows about this stuff).  Let him take his stash to the grave - that's what this kid of attitude unfortunately begets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JagChris said:

No call back from Brad so I must have upset him in some way.

Is there another reseller for these stateside? If not I'll have to get it from buy my retro

Not sure if Bruce at myatari has any, but he's selling a keyboard for not much more https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-for-Atari-800XL-Computer-MYLAR-Condition-A-/133144481008

Although I would try and avoid a mylar keyboard if you can, other than that buy the one from retronics, great quality