IGNORED

replaced the PEB's full height drive with a half height 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 drive

rietveld

5 hours ago, GDMike said:

Is there a instructional on how to add a 3-1/2" drive to the peb?

Hi, the main thing to know is to use a 1:1 floppy cable (NOT twisted)

and to jumper the first drive as #0 (=DSK1) and the second as #1 (=DSK2)

The last drive in the chain (on the cable) maybe needs a "termination"

(done by a "shunt pack"/jumper on the drive, but only if given)

Also find some instructions here on Mainbyte :

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/2drives/2drives.html

Please check if your 2 floppies do not suck too much power (not more than 500? mA per drive)

I made a list with some drives, please see last column:

TI-99-4A-FLOPPY-DRIVES-TI-99-v1.14-ALL.pdf

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GDMike said:

Is there a instructional on how to add a 3-1/2" drive to the peb?

I connected the 5 1/4  drive to the rear edge connector on the disk controller.   I used an old 3 1/2 inch diskdrive PC drive cable that had the female connector on it (that would normally attach to the pc motherboard).   I attached one end to the, drive and the other end to the connector on the side of the disk controller card.   Both drives are powered by the same molex connector using a 'y' adapter 

I mounted the 5 1/4 in the drive bay using the existing screw holes then drill 2 matching hols to mount the 3 1/2 beside it

The key to my success was to connect the one drive to the edge card connector and the other to the femaile side connector. 

I tried at first to hook both drives to the side connector of the disk controller but they were both showing up as drive 1.   Putting one on each connector defaulted the drives to 1 and 2 without me doing anything to the cables

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I assume my original ti controller, with it's DSsD, Will not work? What type of diskette to use with this? As how much data can be saved... Can 2 ea 3-1/2" drives work instead? Thank you

The 3 1/2 disk is formatting to the default 360k. You can't do a full 720k unless you modify the ROM on the stock disk controller 

• Thanks 1

1: use the right cable  I sell one with the right connectors for one of each style of drive plugged into the internal pin connector of the controller.. no twists! 

2: any 3.5" drive will work, 720k or 1.44..but you will only be able to use them in DS/SD mode with a TI controller, you can however modify the TI controller to do 80 track and double the storage space on the drive to 80 track

3: use 720k disks with the TI.  only the Geneve with the HFDC can do 1.44..

I also sell a kit with the power splitter and the correct cable for either 2 3.5, 1 3.5 and 1 5.25 OR 2 5.25 drives.. and a mounting plate 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use COPY-C as proven over and over it can copy every Disk with any copy protection to another disk.

I do not know of any other TI99/4A disk program that can do this, closest is a Forth program that can do most too.

COPY-C.zip

Edited by RXB
  • Like 4