IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

Here are a couple Themes. One is basically a stock theme in case you want to go back without dumping the emulator partition. It's called "Stocklate_Vanilla". All I did here was remove the QRCodes. The other one is a bit more interesting. Its a mockup of the Atari Flashback Gold Theme for a standard model. Its not a straight port of the Gold Versions UI so I'm calling it "Iron_Pyrite", Fools Gold. I also included what I'm currently running, call it "Sans_Boom_v2" it has a mix of stock and gold Bezels.

bkg_launcher.png

Stocklate_Vanilla.rar

Iron_Pyrite.rar

Sans_Boom_v2.rar

Edited by Draxxon

I ported over Kevin Mos3's "Wood Themes" for the Atari FB9. These are the "HD" versions. I figured it would be easier for someone to remove the HD Logo in the corner than it would be to add it if you wanted it. I also used the custom music he has implemented in my own personal set up. So I added the new version of it here also if someone wants it.

KWv1.png

KWv2.png

Kevins_Wood_v1.rar Kevins_Wood_v2.rar

Sans_Boom_v3.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

yeah, there were three, kk.a26 dkmissinglevels, harbor rescue, maybe, I forget. also large art for celery game was incorrect. I fixed all of them already for the future update. thanks for helping out all the same. let me know if you find more issues.

Edited by Draxxon

@Wizzard, I just re read this thread and realized I never answered your question about resolutions. If there is a way to hack the system to change the resolution I don't know how. Or if it is even possible. There is no in game menu settings for video modes. Your TV settings is all you really have. 

So, I took my vacation from work for the next three weeks. I'm sure you can all guess why. Anyways I hope to enjoy it and mess with Atari stuff. Maybe finish this Flashback project of mine. I'll be around.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to you guys with all the know-how and Atari knowledge. I just touched up box art.

The Atari community is pretty rad. the pack wouldn't have been half as nice without the work already done before I showed up and the help and feedback.

I have two questions I'm hoping somebody can answer:

1) I previously ran the official atgames update (0.1.18) to get OTG cable and USB support. Can I just install this now to replace it?

2) The Flashback X's main issue is the audio lag, which has been discussed in other threads on this site. Even with their official update (0.1.18) the audio lag is present. Have they improved this? Does this custom firmware still suffer the same audio lag issue? My worry is if they do fix the audio lag, custom firmware like this will not contain the audio fix.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:35 PM, Draxxon said:

Here it is, the A.T.A.R.I. (AtariAge Text, Art and Rom Injector) v0.X

900+ games this time. It will work with the Atari Flashback 9HD, 9Gold, X and XDeluxe as long as you are running the Custom Firmware and the mount and startup files are on the root of your SD Card/USB Device.. This works the same as the "emulator" folder. This is the "rom" folder. Swap it out with the one you dumped to the root of your USB Device.

you should have on the root of your SD Card/USB Device:

the "mount.sd" file.

the "startup.sh" file.

a folder named "game" with Atari 2600 roms in either .bin or .a26 format and no spaces in the rom name, and not an overly long name. (this is just for side loading games without art the old way.)

a folder named "rom". dump it with the "mount.sd" file when you power on the system. (or just use the one I just posted here)

a folder named "emulator". dump it with the "startup.sh" file when you power on system. (or just use the Sans Boom Theme/"emulator" folder up above.

If you need help, just ask. If you have changes in mind to make to the rom pack for future updates, just let me know.

About the music, I always turn the background music off, so I don't even think to edit it. but yes, totally swappable. The stella core is in there too, I imagine someone who knows what they are doing could edit or swap that. 

To edit the main game list: in the rom folder is a file named "all-games.ini". you have to edit that file with notepad. If you have Tron.a26 rom you will need a thumbnail in PNG format, 211x290 pixels, named Tron.a26.png and a second thumbnail 122x168 named Tron.a26.s.png. The rom the thumbnails and even the all-games ini file all are in the "rom" folder together. Check the other games entries in the all-games.ini file to get an idea how to add your new game. but it looks like this:

[Crossbow]
File=/rom/Crossbow.a26
Platform=Atari
Sort=Crossbow
Year=1987
Genre=atari
Description=
Note= \
Player Mode: Multi-player game (1-2) \
 \
1. SELECT button. \
Press the SELECT button to choose between games. \
 \
2. Use joystick controllers. \
Use the P1 or left slot joystick for one player games, and the P2 or right slot joystick for the second player in two player games. \
 \
3. Difficulty switches. \
Toggle Switches for Difficulty. \
 \
4. Instructions. \
Press START button to begin play.

Alright guys, Have Fun!

ATARIvX.rar 122.01 MB · 52 downloads

Thank you very much for this.  I am using it along with v3 of the Sans Boom theme and love it.  I have just one question.  If I want to delete some roms, do I also need to edit the ini file?  I am looking to make this kid friendly, and games like Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em have to go :D

On 3/23/2020 at 6:16 PM, fiudr said:

Oh I see, so then even if a newer official update is installed later, I'd just have to install this again over the newest update to get the custom menu back?

If they ever release an official firmware update that addresses audio lag or other enhancements I would have to update the CFW to include those.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Serpentor said:

Thank you very much for this.  I am using it along with v3 of the Sans Boom theme and love it.  I have just one question.  If I want to delete some roms, do I also need to edit the ini file?  I am looking to make this kid friendly, and games like Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em have to go :D

you don't HAVE to delete the roms and art but you can. what you can do is open the all-games.ini file in the rom folder with notepad or notepad++ and and delete the entries in the ini file for the games you don't want displayed. or you could add ";" in front of each line of the games entry but you will need to remove one of the brackets "[]" from the display name. I'll make you a ini file without XXX games and post it in a few.

21 Blue, Burning Desire, Bachelor Party, Bachelorette Party, Beat Em & Eat Em, Cathouse Blues, Custers Revenge, General Re-Treat, Gigolo, Harem, Jungle Fever, Knight on the Town, Lady in Wading, Philly Flasher, Westward Ho and X-Man have had their entries edited out with ";"s. If you want to remove more games just edit them out like I did these games here. swap this all games ini file with the one that is in the rom folder of the ATARI pack.

all-games.ini file with XXX omitted:

all-games.ini

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

you don't HAVE to delete the roms and art but you can. what you can do is open the all-games.ini file in the rom folder with notepad or notepad++ and and delete the entries in the ini file for the games you don't want displayed. or you could add ";" in front of each line of the games entry but you will need to remove one of the brackets "[]" from the display name. I'll make you a ini file without XXX games and post it in a few.

Thank you!  I really appreciate this.  My son is five and enjoys the Atari a lot now that it has so many games.  He also dances to the new background music :).  I'm planning to give one to my nephews, as well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the newest pack, A.T.A.R.I. v0.X.1. There are now 1000 game entries. Over 100 were added. Only homebrew titles were added. Many of them had no (or I just couldn't find any) box art. So I had to create even more placeholder images. A lot the homebrew "box art" I created for the last pack has been tweaked or changed in this update. There were a few fixes to the old pack, like the 3 missing games and broken art.  And, as always there were I don't know how many touch ups to the existing box art. There were just a couple clone games added. Mainly so certain games in a series would show up on the same page together. I stopped sorting them somewhere around page 70. I'm guessing the next update will be the last large update from me. I'm going to push to include all the titles that are in the flashback portable 1001 pack in this pack. then its just gonna be small update "patches" of a few games here and there.

If you see anything wrong or not working, let me know here and I'll fix it. If you see a homebrew title that was added that has generic box art I created and there is "official" box art available, again, please let me know here.

ATARIvX.1.rar

Here is an INI file for a family friendly game list. (No XXX titles)

all-games.ini

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I put together a theme pack for all the themes made so far. I keep this "theme" folder on the root of my USB device so that way I can just swap themes in and out at the PC when I want to. I made a new theme called "Light Fiver" that uses the remaining custom bezels that were once Atari 2600 RetroArch overlays. So this new theme pack makes the old bezels packs obsolete. All the old bezels are here now in one theme or another.

Theme_Pack.rar

• Thanks 1

I have followed the directions step by step to upgrade the firmware for my Flashback X Deluxe on two different Windows PC's. Neither machine will recognize my Flashback as a loder device. How long should I have to hold down the recovery button before the PC recognizes it?