IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

Hi, wondering what version of the firmware the custom firmware is based on.  I just picked up the Atari Flashback X Deluxe (AR3060S) and it came with version 0.1.7 of the firmware.  Latest on AtGames firmware portal is 0.1.5 so I don't know what is different / changed.  It takes games via USB but no box art.

I would also add that they revised the board a bit.  The reset button is no longer on the top of the board and was relocated to the bottom of the board with a couple of wires going back to the top of the PCB.  There is also a small reset hole on the bottom so you can press the button without opening the case.  None of this of course was updated on the customer facing firmware portal.

9 hours ago, Heatvent said:

wondering what version of the firmware the custom firmware is based on.

Atari Flashback X (AR3060) custom firmware here is V. 0.1.18.

Atari Flashback X Deluxe (AR3060S) custom firmware here is V. 0.1.5.

Glad to hear there's externally accessible reset switch on the late 2020 models.

Couple of questions...

Is there a way for me to copy the 0.1.7 img off the console?

I would be interested in copying everything to the onboard nand storage, is there a way to do that and have it updated with my own list of custom games, theme, etc. without the need for a USB drive?

thanks!

Ok, some goofed something up. I tried using the RKDevTool Download Image tab to see if I could download an image of the rom partition.  Unfortunately, it seems to have erased the files on the roms partition or maybe corrupt them because my games are gone without the usb drive. 

Not sure if there is a way to copy from the SD card to the rom partition to undo this.  I reflashed the device and same thing.  I then reapplied the customer firmware image.  The rom folder it dumps is empty.

I could edit the menu_launcher.sh script to restore the games but I am unfamiliar with how to repackage the .img file.  I could also end the startup.sh script but not sure where / how to remount original rom partition so I can copy to it (was unmounted by menu_launch.sh). 

If someone could help me undo my screwup that would be appreciated.

Edited by Heatvent

I am guessing I somehow uploaded a blank img file to the roms partition and wiped it out.

So trying to work around this. I played around with the startup.sh file and tried to copy the data in the various partitions on the console to directories on the USB drive in the same fashion as is done with the /emulator folder.  Below is the modified startup.sh.  Strangely, all the other directories (misc, recovery, etc. are all empty).  Not sure why the contents can't be copied.  The /emulator folder works, not sure why the others wouldn't.  I assume this has to do with permissions or some kind of protection.  Copying to the /emulator folder doesn't seem to work either.  My guess is you have to upload an image to overwrite the partition. Still strange how the emulator and roms folder are abled to be copied ... perhaps this was changed in the customer firmware image somehow.

#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -d /media/usbhd-sda1/misc ]
then
    su -
    mkdir /media/usbhd-sda1/misc
    cp -r /misc/* /media/usbhd-sda1/misc
fi

if [ ! -d /media/usbhd-sda1/recovery ]
then
    su -
    mkdir /media/usbhd-sda1/recovery
    cp -r /recovery/* /media/usbhd-sda1/recovery
fi

if [ ! -d /media/usbhd-sda1/boot ]
then
    su -
    mkdir /media/usbhd-sda1/boot
    cp -r /boot/* /media/usbhd-sda1/boot
fi

if [ ! -d /media/usbhd-sda1/resource ]
then
    su -
    mkdir /media/usbhd-sda1/resource
    cp -r /resource/* /media/usbhd-sda1/resource
fi

if [ ! -d /media/usbhd-sda1/kernel ]
then
    su -
    mkdir /media/usbhd-sda1/kernel
    cp -r /kernel/* /media/usbhd-sda1/kernel
fi

if [ ! -d /media/usbhd-sda1/rootfs ]
then
    su -
    mkdir /media/usbhd-sda1/rootfs
    cp -r /rootfs/* /media/usbhd-sda1/rootfs
fi

if [ ! -d /media/usbhd-sda1/emulator ]
then
    su -
	cp /emulator/menu_launcher.sh /media/usbhd-sda1/menu_launcher_on_console.sh
    mkdir /media/usbhd-sda1/emulator
    cp -r /emulator/* /media/usbhd-sda1/emulator
fi

while :
do
	cd /media/usbhd-sda1/emulator
	startx ./retromenu
done

Edited by Heatvent

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Totally new to the forum...found this site from a youtube video.  I just ordered a Flashback X Deluxe and would really like to add all the available games and that Star Wars theme to my FBX?  There's no way I can do it myself...just not nearly computer literate enough.  I live in the suburbs of Chicago and would gladly pay someone to help with this.  If nobody near Chicago I'd ship it instead.  I ordered this looking to play the games I grew up with, and then am seeing the additional stuff you can do and it looks awesome.  Hope somebody out there will help...and like I said, definitely willing to pay for the help.  TIA!!!

18 hours ago, Ron-R said:

I just ordered a Flashback X Deluxe and would really like to add all the available games and that Star Wars theme to my FBX?

Hope somebody out there will help...and like I said, definitely willing to pay for the help.  TIA!!!

Really hoping to find a tech guy willing to help.  Not sure if it's OK to offer a dollar amount on the forum, but PM to discuss if interested.

Edited by Ron-R
  • Like 1

I found a Bug. Strangly nobody has it, too?  I Updated to latest Firmware on Flashback X (Not Special Edition) and updated with the CFW Firmware. New Games are Showing. But if i select one Game it goes to the next Info Menue and if i will Back with Menu Button, nothing happens. I can only select next or previous Game with the Stick. But cant Back to the Cover Menue. All Buttons on the Stick not Working, only the Fire Button. Ingame the Buttons Working. I can push Menue, Rewind, etc. And can Back to the Info Menu. But its not going back to the Cover Menu. Only if i turn off the Console.

Question for the gallery here- I have a Flashback X Deluxe (120 game version) and did the Firmware update to add a USB. I finally got an OTG/Y-Adapter but for some reason the device won't boot/load when I attach the power cable through the OTG. It doesn't work with or without a USB device. Once I remove the OTG, boots right up. Easy answer seems to be that I have a bum OTG adapter, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a step before loading to ensure it wasn't user error (and an easy fix). I got the roms formatted off of Draxxon's latest file (thank you!!!) and have had those work before. I added a photo of the OTG in question in case that's an easy answer. Thanks to all in advance. 

IMG_20201217_175801.jpg

finally got around to doing this mod, thank you for all the work you put into this.

900+ games is amazing!  is there anyway to sort by manufacturer or create multiple "My favorite" folders that you could name?

i'm also thinking of doing a physical mod, cut out the blank cart port, install a usb plug there and then create some 3d printed 2600 carts that you can install usb drives into.  that way you can have small carts based on manufacturer, or however else you would want to set up these carts.

which leads me to a question, main menu the external usb is listed as "Ext. USB drive".  would there be anyway to have the firmware read the name of the usb drive?  that way if i plug in a usb drive names "activision", that name would show instead of "Ext. USB drive".

Got a fbx yesterday and spent literally hours trying to get the official firmware update to work!

My usual windows 10 pc I tried turning off driver signing, that didn’t help, ended up buying a windows 7 licence and replacing the Linux on my old netbook with that.

Still didn’t work.

The drivers on the atgames website don’t seem very good at all.

Anyway did eventually get the Android loader thing to detect my fbx, here’s my tips to save anyone else the time I spent.

Don’t bother with windows 10, get a windows 7 install.

Get a usb cable you know will transfer data not just charge (only 1 of my 5 usb cables actually did).

I confirmed this with a sandisk MP3 player I’ve had for years.

Connect the usb cable to the pc and connect the hdmi lead to your tv.

Press the reset button and switch the fbx on.

You should see the Android set up screen on your tv.

At that point windows 7 will look for working drivers for the Android tool etc and will install them, might take a while but they worked for me unlike the supplied ones I kept reinstalling with no joy.

Once windows gives the message that the device drivers have been set up you can launch the Android update tool and it will detect the device and allow you to load the updated firmware.

Would just be easier if Atgames shipped them with the usb-ready firmware.

Mine has the reset button underneath btw.

I still have the custom fw step to do, I’m planning on having a reduced set based on Draxxon’s work in the roms so it’s quicker to load and navigate, the bulk will just be in the usb storage section.

Thanks Draxxon and thanks Brad_from_the_80s.

Edited by sweetf2a

1 hour ago, sweetf2a said:

Got a fbx yesterday and spent literally hours trying to get the official firmware update to work!

My usual windows 10 pc I tried turning off driver signing, that didn’t help, ended up buying a windows 7 licence and replacing the Linux on my old netbook with that.

Still didn’t work.

The drivers on the atgames website don’t seem very good at all.

Anyway did eventually get the Android loader thing to detect my fbx, here’s my tips to save anyone else the time I spent.

Don’t bother with windows 10, get a windows 7 install.

Get a usb cable you know will transfer data not just charge (only 1 of my 5 usb cables actually did).

I confirmed this with a sandisk MP3 player I’ve had for years.

Connect the usb cable to the pc and connect the hdmi lead to your tv.

Press the reset button and switch the fbx on.

You should see the Android set up screen on your tv.

At that point windows 7 will look for working drivers for the Android tool etc and will install them, might take a while but they worked for me unlike the supplied ones I kept reinstalling with no joy.

Once windows gives the message that the device drivers have been set up you can launch the Android update tool and it will detect the device and allow you to load the updated firmware.

Would just be easier if Atgames shipped them with the usb-ready firmware.

Mine has the reset button underneath btw.

I still have the custom fw step to do, I’m planning on having a reduced set based on Draxxon’s work in the roms so it’s quicker to load and navigate, the bulk will just be in the usb storage section.

Thanks Draxxon and thanks Brad_from_the_80s.

I also had no success in updating the driver but luckily I saw the following comment in the Patton Plays youtube how-to and it totally worked for me....

Hello I had the same problem. Please use another Rockchip driver than the one they deliver with it! So first uninstall the one that you tried. And download Rockusb_Driver_v3.7 (you can find it for free on google) Than go to X64 folder --> win8 (if you have win8 or win10) --> rightclick the file rockusb.inf and install Now it should work! Cheers!

10 hours ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

I also had no success in updating the driver but luckily I saw the following comment in the Patton Plays youtube how-to and it totally worked for me....

Hello I had the same problem. Please use another Rockchip driver than the one they deliver with it! So first uninstall the one that you tried. And download Rockusb_Driver_v3.7 (you can find it for free on google) Than go to X64 folder --> win8 (if you have win8 or win10) --> rightclick the file rockusb.inf and install Now it should work! Cheers!

Might try that later, thanks. Still have the custom fw stage to do.

1 hour ago, sweetf2a said:

Might try that later, thanks. Still have the custom fw stage to do.

Just to be clear, did you already try a OGI/Y-connector with a USB in it with the FBX on? If it has the reset button underneath it is the latest edition, which means that 1.7 may already be installed. That firmware version might already recognize the USB. Just don't want you to waste time on a firmware downgrade for a capability you may already have.

4 hours ago, Atarick said:

Just to be clear, did you already try a OGI/Y-connector with a USB in it with the FBX on? If it has the reset button underneath it is the latest edition, which means that 1.7 may already be installed. That firmware version might already recognize the USB. Just don't want you to waste time on a firmware downgrade for a capability you may already have.

Did the upgrade yesterday. Version I have now is AR3060s_v0.1.2 according to the About section.

Strangely I can’t upgrade to the custom fw via either putting it on the usb stick or flashing with the Android tool, the usb stick method doesn’t attempt to upgrade and after using the Android tool it only boots into the Android bootloader menu not the fbx menu.

Very strange. I have the 110 game normal version so the official fw I have being 3060s not 3060 is a bit odd.

Ok I now have upgraded to AR3060_v0.1.18 - it seems the fw on Bill Loguidice’s page wasn’t the latest one and possibly wasn’t the correct one either, this is from the ATgames firmware portal.

now if I put the Atari update custom fw image on the usb stick it does give the option of installing it but nothing seems to change. I’ve also flashed it from the Android tool, again nothing seems to change.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:31 AM, sweetf2a said:

I’m planning on having a reduced set based on Draxxon’s work in the roms so it’s quicker to load and navigate, the bulk will just be in the usb storage section.

I've made my own Romset like this. It has about 440 Games in it and load instantly. All the other Games are in the USB-Folder without Coverart, around 680 Games.

I name it ATARON because my Name is Ron :)

It is based on Draxxon's Rompack but i have made this changes:

-Mainly original Atari Lifespan games are in it, except a handful of cool Homebrew and impressive graphical Demos.

-All Games are sorted with Categorie-Cover Icons. First Atari 2600 original Games, then Flashback Games, then Homebrew, then XXX Games...

-Deleted all the games i tested that didn't work on the FBX, like the Sesame games that need a Kids-Controller and a ton of more.

-Put all the working Paddle Games in the Paddle Categorie. Some didn't work, ive tested them all with original Atari Paddles, and sorted them out.

-I sorted the complete "game.ini" File. It was a sh*t of work but all the Games now work (there were a few that was linked wrong). Now it is much easier to add a new game or edit something, because it is not this mischmasch of text anymore.

-I formated the information text for all games new, i didn't like the style of the empty lines so scroll down did take long time.

-I put information in the headline of every game, so you can see from what year the game is or if you can play with two player simultaneously.

-Ive edited the Kevinswood theme a little bit.

-And a lot more...

1DSC_0875.thumb.jpg.346be9d9068514c23d3dd4cb7d9eb56b.jpg

1DSC_0876.thumb.jpg.d3a3f44d4f40fa858a8f7e8f9fca2e60.jpg

1DSC_0874.thumb.jpg.d5eb6423532ffb71535d50bb477b1590.jpg

I would like to say thank you Draxxon for your work ive build on and Brad for make this Hacks possible. ?

And i'm sorry for the text, i am not an english speaking person.

So here is my Rompack, have fun with it!

ATARON_1.0.rar

• Like 1

Might take a look Ron, thanks. Got my main Rom file down to about 130 games already, and there’s a few I’ve got in there only because I’ve heard of them.

Of homebrews just Scramble and 4K and 8K pac-man made the cut.

Dropped a lot of the included games, can remove the usb stick to play those if I ever wanted to.