IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

I'm ditching the reskinned AFB9Gold, "RetroArch" theme, in favor of something more slick for the project.
I dont think showing off retroarch is the way to go for this, but it did turn out okay, so here it is if someone wants it.

I have something i feel that is better in mind for the theme of the nexus-hub, something more atari style.

RetroArch Theme:

res.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

There is an "Atari" version of Arabian - arabiana.zip (the last "a" is for atari) which works well with fba.  I never heard of it until recently.  Kind of a mashup between Donkey Kong and Bubble Bobble.  Only one button is used to kick.  Jump by pushing JS up, crawl by pushing JS down.  I like it!

Also, I realized that if Linux honors the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable it is going to allow any missing shared libraries to be put on the USB drive. 

Edited by rocketfan

I added all the games mentioned. I nixed oned with two buttons and too slow. A couple may have fell thru the cracks. Super Columns is one that i know is missing.

LEVEL 1: AFBXD. the first "game" in the normal list, (NTSC), is "ATARI VAULT". It takes you to the hub/nexus.
LEVEL 2: ATARI VAULT.  This is the hub. it is a reskinned AFB9Gold menu theme. here are all the Atari categories. the first is A26 NTSC, it will take you right back to the main list. there are also all the other "folders/categories" like Atari arcade, homebrew and what-not. The last category here is the "LEGENDS FLASHBACK DELUXE".

LEVEL 3: LFBD. You are now in a dream, in a dream, in a dream. Inception-ass. the menu IS the LFBD menu. there are categories for all the supported system consoles. everything functions the same as it did the level/nexus above. There is an A2600 category, that will take you all the way out.

Still testing, because that is a lot of jazz going on, plus a few Easter eggs are in there too. But so far, it all works.

The only thing I've encountered so far is, everyone once in a while the "reboot" switch/command will take me to stock and not the custom /rom folder on the USB drive, could be my drive or setup, but.. use that switch just to fix the Deadly Black Screen Of Death, not to be lazy and navigate the menu to the top LEVEL 1. It's slow for that anyways because it takes you to the AtGames boot screen. I was testing it in every folder and using it excessively. That's the only thing ive noticed not quite right.

Edited by Draxxon

what version firmware do you have? Check your "ABOUT" screen.

For this pack to work, you have to install Brad_from_the_80's Custom FirmWare first.
After that, put all the files in the /NEXUS folder on the root of your storage device.

If you have an older/original AFBX, no reset button hole on the bottom, it can be a pain in the ### to flash the Official FirmWare first. Then Brad's CFW second.

If you have a newer model, you just put the CFW on a flashdrive, connected via an OTG cable, and its simple, but the CFW is a downgrade. Its based off of the AtGames firmware on their website, which is old and outdated. No one knows what versions 0.1.7/8 and 0.1.19/20/21 out in the wild have to offer. 
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is my official OPINION on the matter. note, OPINION. 

There is probably nothing notably different in the later versions, except OTG support out of the box. I have followed all the updates for AtGames devices for awhile and nothing changes. I'm certain the new models don't have a newer version of stella. AtGames changed the scanline filter way back when in the LFB1, some might remember how utterly horrible it was, and there was some attempts to fix button/audio lag in the AFB9. Most of the drastic FW changes happened in the LFB, they flipped the NES buttons, added SNES, increased GameGear screen size, tested online leaderboards, etc. the AFBs didnt change much. Something changed from AFB9 to AFBX, I cant quite put my finger on it, but, we have all the files. All the cores and retroplayers from the 9, X and LFBs. We also have a dump of V0.1.21. we have the newer files set up in this NEXUS pack. It is a Psuedo v21.

I figure new CFW will be made from a future dump of a current AFBXD model eventually. But, maybe not. I can't tell you to hack your system or not. Who knows what is new in later firmware versions and if any newer CFWs will get made in the future? 

I can tell you what is new. commands support. goto and folder support. multiple themes in one setup. quickness, picodrive, mame2000, fba2012, genplusGX cores added. Sharing of saved game data files. ability to swap cores and system files on the fly that were previously hardcoded. emulator settings already set up. infinite bezels could be implemented. Psuedo v.21, psuedo LFBD, psuedo afb9 gold/"atari vault", psuedo sears telegames flashback, It's editable and completely flexible. etc.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Draxxon, looks good!  I like the various themes! 

I ran into one issue, which is that the Atari arcade games retroplayer.ini file (<DRIVE>/rom_arcade/data/retroplayer.ini) is missing the [core] section with the required mame2000 settings.  I added this in there to get Battlezone and Canyon Bomber to play:

[Core]
quicknes_use_overscan_h=enabled
quicknes_use_overscan_v=disabled
genesis_plus_gx_no_sprite_limit=disabled
genesis_plus_gx_audio_filter=low-pass
genesis_plus_gx_lowpass_range=60
genesis_plus_gx_volume=100
mame2003-plus_skip_disclaimer=enabled
mame2003-plus_skip_warnings=enabled
mame2003-plus_sample_rate=48000
mame2003-plus_external_hiscore=enabled
mame2003-plus_gamma=1.2
mame2000-skip_disclaimer=enabled
mame2000-show_gameinfo=disabled

fba-cpu-speed-adjust=100
fba-aspect=DAR
fba-diagnostic-input=None
fba-hiscores=enabled
fba-samplerate=44100
fba-sample-interpolation=disabled
fba-fm-interpolation=disabled

Also some new "other" category one or zero button arcade games that work:

fba/2.97.44 ROMs:

popflame.zip  (Pp Flamer - mouse with a flame thrower?)
lnc.zip  (lock n chase - decent pac-man ripoff)
crbaloon.zip  (crazy balloon)

mame2000/0.375b ROMs:
sprint1.zim (black and white slot car type game - I believe this is a very early Atari game)
lrescue.zim (lunar rescue)
elecyoyo.zim (electric yoyo)
dday.zim  (d-day This seems to involve *defending* the beach at Normandy?)
alpine.zim (alpine skiing)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Draxxon said:

For this pack to work, you have to install Brad_from_the_80's Custom FirmWare first.
After that, put all the files in the /NEXUS folder on the root of your storage device.

If you have an older/original AFBX, no reset button hole on the bottom, it can be a pain in the ### to flash the Official FirmWare first. Then Brad's CFW second.

If you have a newer model, you just put the CFW on a flashdrive, connected via an OTG cable, and its simple, but the CFW is a downgrade. Its based off of the AtGames firmware on their website, which is old and outdated. No one knows what versions 0.1.7/8 and 0.1.19/20/21 out in the wild have to offer. 
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is probably nothing notably different in the later versions, except OTG support out of the box. I have followed all the updates for AtGames devices for awhile and nothing changes. I'm certain the new models don't have a newer version of stella. AtGames changed the scanline filter way back when in the LFB1, some might remember how utterly horrible it was, and there was some attempts to fix button/audio lag in the AFB9. Most of the drastic FW changes happened in the LFB, they flipped the NES buttons, added SNES, increased GameGear screen size, tested online leaderboards, etc. the AFBs didnt change much. Something changed from AFB9 to AFBX, I cant quite put my finger on it, but, we have all the files. All the cores and retroplayers from the 9, X and LFBs. We also have a dump of V0.1.21. we have the newer files set up in this NEXUS pack. It is a Psuedo v21.

I figure new CFW will be made from a future dump of a current AFBXD model eventually. But, maybe not. I can't tell you to hack your system or not. Who knows what is new in later firmware versions and if any newer CFWs will get made in the future? 

I can tell you what is new. commands support. goto and folder support. multiple themes in one setup. quickness, picodrive, mame2000, fba2012, genplusGX cores added. Sharing of saved game data files. ability to swap cores and system files on the fly that were previously hardcoded. emulator settings already set up. infinite bezels could be implemented. Psuedo v.21, psuedo LFBD, psuedo afb9 gold/"atari vault", psuedo sears telegames flashback, It's editable and completely flexible. etc.

AR3060s_v0.1.7

and it does have the reset button on the bottom.

5 hours ago, Draxxon said:

AR3060s_v0.1.7

24 minutes ago, Velvis said:

AR3060s_v0.1.7

You should dump that firmware before you do anything.  I have been trying to get someone to dump that version so we can all update and for a cfw!

Edited by MrFister

1. @Velvis, you have a newer model. you may not want to install the CFW quite yet.
2. @Velvis, can you take a picture of the Adventure II and BurgerTime box art from your main menu?
3. @Fister, I "THINK" I saw a post about a deluxe version V.0.1.8, but I could be wrong. I have version 0.1.18 and the AFBX is on .21 now. Online deluxe version FW is 0.1.5. If there are three iterations of updates for the regular X, then that would mean maybe there is a deluxe 0.1.8 in the wild??? Im not 100% sure, bro.

4. @Fister, Hi-jack the thread? New, up-to-date CFW should be #1 priority right now. Please, Hi-Jack the thread, lmmfao. Inquiring minds want to know.
5. What if we get a few people to ask AtGames to release an Official FW update? As an AFBX owner, I would like up-to-date FW. I understand that the "LEGENDS ARCADE FAMILY" is the focus, but, do they have to just end support for the various flashback owners?

Contact – AtGames E-Store

Velvis, if I was you, I would just get the otg and flashdrive. make a folder named 'game' and load it with 2600 roms and play them the old fashioned way just for now. enjoy all the awesome homebrew out there while you wait.

Edited by Draxxon

Hopefully he dumps his firmware first. ?  

We supposedly have @Velvis and @KevinMos3 trying to dump their 0.1.7 deluxe firmware for the community, so that's good new and hopefully at least one of them can come through.

Latest CFW is my #1 top priority and it always has been.  

What's with with the Adventure II and Burgertime covers, Have they changed or something?

I just sent atGames an email asking them nicely and politely for a updated firmware.  Hopefully that go's good.

@Draxxon do you have any FW Files for the X and X Deluxe besides 0.15 and 01.18 you would be willing to share?

I am gonna start a FW repository and would like to get them all.

Edited by MrFister

I sent the same type of email to AtGames myself. I am curious if the box art got fixed on any new version (burgetime really shows it), and i was too lazy to see who has shown so far. And, one of the videos i saw on youtube that i posted above was for the newer firmware and the cover for adventure 2 was the white cover of Adv1 that I was asking about that i found lost in the /emu folder. As far as firmware, I have none. There are the two outdated AtGames online versions, and there are the two CFWs based off of those be brad. that is all i have. unless there is something old in my PMs, i'll check.

EDIT: Nope, but here is the AFBX-CFW_beta (regular version was the first/only beta) I tested. although I bet it is identical to what was released here on the 1st page.

AR3060_CFW_beta.zip

Also, speaking of betas, the NEXUS beta was out a few days before NEXUS V.0.1.0 released and I have gotten a little feedback so, here is my to do list:

ATARI FLASHBACK X - NEXUS (V.0.2.0)

WHAT WILL CHANGE?

- The "Atari Vault" (nexus.goto) in the first entry of the list has been reskinned. The "Return" Switch has replaced it. It's now found in the last entry of the list. It functions exactly the same as it did before.

- The "Shutdown" and the "Reboot" switches have been removed from the NEXUS and LFBD console list.

- Cloned Atari Arcade entries and the LFBD Atari 2600 category have been removed. There is now only one instance of each game. (Except for the Psudeo "Factory Restore")

- The Atari 2600 Category was moved to the last entry in the LFBD list now that there is no easy way back to the LFBD console list.

- Many new games were added across multiple categories. Old games that were cut due to long boot-up time prior to folder support have been restored. Games from other projects have been imported as well.

- The Homebrew categories (left over A.T.A.R.I. pack) has been sorted. They also got Kevin's two Woodgrain themes.

- Created the Atari 2600 Imports category for the foreign games.

- The actual Sega Genesis Flashback menu theme was imported for the LFBD/Sega Genesis category.

- The final remaining custom SW Darth Vader theme was installed for the Atari Arcade games category.

Edited by Draxxon

One note, Gyruss was on the Nexus release as a .zip (fba) rom, but sound is much better with a .zim (mame2000) rom, I replaced mine.  In general that seems to hold true with games that have sound issues - upndown is an example below.  Worked with fba, but sound is screwed up.  Sounds is good with the mame2000/0.375b version.

I've been delving into some more obscure and not so obscure games.  Some are obscure for a reason, but there are a few hidden gems in there.  Ex: Flicky seems pretty good, and I like the Bagman games.

Here is a new "working" list with a couple I mentioned before, but I didn't see make it in to Nexxus yet:

fba/2.97.44 ROMs:

warofbug.zip
vastar.zip
stinger.zip
pisces.zip
mooncrst.zip
jungler.zip
higemaru.zip
bombjack.zip
bagman.zip
armorcar.zip
alibaba.zip

mame2000/0.375b ROMs:

upndown.zim
tapper.zim
starw.zim
starwars.zim - this is Atari Star Wars
sbagman.zim
redbaron.zim - Atari
qix.zim
potogold.zim
frenzy.zim
flicky.zim
esb.zim  - this is Atari Empire Strikes Back
astrof.zim
astrob2.zim
astinvad.zim

I was surprised how well the voice effects work for the Star Wars vector graphic games!

BTW, a few of those do not have sound (the really old astro-? games, plus frenzy) but I checked and that seems the same on another MAME emulator, may need a newer MAME than we have available to fix those.

Edited by rocketfan

12 hours ago, MrFister said:

Hopefully he dumps his firmware first. ?  

We supposedly have @Velvis and @KevinMos3 trying to dump their 0.1.7 deluxe firmware for the community, so that's good new and hopefully at least one of them can come through.

Latest CFW is my #1 top priority and it always has been.  

What's with with the Adventure II and Burgertime covers, Have they changed or something?

I just sent atGames an email asking them nicely and politely for a updated firmware.  Hopefully that go's good.

@Draxxon do you have any FW Files for the X and X Deluxe besides 0.15 and 01.18 you would be willing to share?

I am gonna start a FW repository and would like to get them all.

Is there a version of linux that will run off USB (so I dont have to install it) that would be able to dump the firmware?

4 hours ago, rocketfan said:

BTW, a few of those do not have sound (the really old astro-? games, plus frenzy) but I checked and that seems the same on another MAME emulator, may need a newer MAME than we have available to fix those.

I think the mame2000 /samples folder goes straight into the /rom folder. I dont know if those games have audio samples, or if that is the issue.
I'll add the Arcade games mentioned sometime this weekend.

@Fister, can we use the wayback machine to get the old firmware updates? All I see is AFB9/G though.

WBM.PNG

I also noticed that the FW revision numbers reflect the date. I wonder its v.20 and v.21 is a similar thing and nothing was updated, just reflects the year.

Edited by Draxxon

16 hours ago, Draxxon said:

1. @Velvis, you have a newer model. you may not want to install the CFW quite yet.
2. @Velvis, can you take a picture of the Adventure II and BurgerTime box art from your main menu?
3. @Fister, I "THINK" I saw a post about a deluxe version V.0.1.8, but I could be wrong. I have version 0.1.18 and the AFBX is on .21 now. Online deluxe version FW is 0.1.5. If there are three iterations of updates for the regular X, then that would mean maybe there is a deluxe 0.1.8 in the wild??? Im not 100% sure, bro.

4. @Fister, Hi-jack the thread? New, up-to-date CFW should be #1 priority right now. Please, Hi-Jack the thread, lmmfao. Inquiring minds want to know.
5. What if we get a few people to ask AtGames to release an Official FW update? As an AFBX owner, I would like up-to-date FW. I understand that the "LEGENDS ARCADE FAMILY" is the focus, but, do they have to just end support for the various flashback owners?

Contact – AtGames E-Store

Velvis, if I was you, I would just get the otg and flashdrive. make a folder named 'game' and load it with 2600 roms and play them the old fashioned way just for now. enjoy all the awesome homebrew out there while you wait.

IMG_20210220_171847.jpg

IMG_20210220_172034.jpg