IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

well, they deff swapped the box art for ADV2 for some reason. looks like all the box art may have been fixed as well, but hard to tell. i see a line through the middle, can you show me a screenshot of the large box art when you click on that one?

Does it look like this?

136098725_673061973389053_8483788863344199590_n.thumb.jpg.3099d2854bd08b9e6f8c33d1ec1f5809.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

2 hours ago, Draxxon said:

well, they deff swapped the box art for ADV2 for some reason. looks like all the box art may have been fixed as well, but hard to tell. i see a line through the middle, can you show me a screenshot of the large box art when you click on that one?

Does it look like this?

136098725_673061973389053_8483788863344199590_n.thumb.jpg.3099d2854bd08b9e6f8c33d1ec1f5809.jpg

19 hours ago, Draxxon said:

1. @Velvis, you have a newer model. you may not want to install the CFW quite yet.
2. @Velvis, can you take a picture of the Adventure II and BurgerTime box art from your main menu?
3. @Fister, I "THINK" I saw a post about a deluxe version V.0.1.8, but I could be wrong. I have version 0.1.18 and the AFBX is on .21 now. Online deluxe version FW is 0.1.5. If there are three iterations of updates for the regular X, then that would mean maybe there is a deluxe 0.1.8 in the wild??? Im not 100% sure, bro.

4. @Fister, Hi-jack the thread? New, up-to-date CFW should be #1 priority right now. Please, Hi-Jack the thread, lmmfao. Inquiring minds want to know.
5. What if we get a few people to ask AtGames to release an Official FW update? As an AFBX owner, I would like up-to-date FW. I understand that the "LEGENDS ARCADE FAMILY" is the focus, but, do they have to just end support for the various flashback owners?

Contact – AtGames E-Store

Velvis, if I was you, I would just get the otg and flashdrive. make a folder named 'game' and load it with 2600 roms and play them the old fashioned way just for now. enjoy all the awesome homebrew out there while you wait.

IMG_20210220_202337.jpg

IMG_20210220_202311.jpg

Update on the atari800 core.  Today was a big day.  I went from not being able to get it to run on the device at all to having (I think) correct video and sound.  Unfortunately, the inputs don't seem to be working (nada) and I don't know anything about that aspect, so I need to start digging.   I'm sitting on my couch with the "attract mode" for Galactic Chase (1981 Stedek Software) running right now.  I guess with this you could run 400/800 demos.  So it seems like the odds are better than 30% at this point, but still not 100%.

Edited by rocketfan

can you hook up a usb adapter to the otg usb port and use mouse/keyboard/pads? Is there not a way to add other controllers support thru the OTG?

something i remembered while adding the newest arcade games. the "bl" at the end of the filename stands for bootleg. 

I remember when I had all of these roms loaded on the LFB1, a lot of times only the bl's ("popeyebl.zim" for random example) type of named games would work.

btw.

popeyebl.zim - worked

Also, Star Wars is badass, especially with the darth vader theme in the atari arcade category now.

Edited by Draxxon

Here is release "1.0" of the atari800 core for the Atari Flashback X.

Draxxon, I tried hooking up keyboard and USB controller to the port.  A hub works but those devices do not appear to be recognized.  I think there is a second unpopulated USB header, as mentioned by others, which might work for those though.  What worked was just brute-force log messages to see what the joystick was outputting in the core, then more brute force hacking to match it to the expected codes.

As always thanks Brad_from_the_80s on this because of the initial custom FW but also specifically for mentioning buildroot, because pretty sure this could not have been done without that tool.   Also (again) thank you Draxxon and the other contributors to the actual images for the device, because without the polished releases I'm not sure if anyone else would use the thing!  Also, obviously most of the work on this was done by the original Authors of the Atari800 emulator as well as the fine people who made the Libretro core version and various ports available on Github.

Disclaimers:

No guarantees anything specific will work. This is a work in progress, and it is only working well enough to play games as of today!  Although I brute forced it into building/working, my knowledge of the emulator's internals is really limited so I may not be able to fix issues (though I would try).  Also we are still at the mercy of the "retroplayer" application, which is the Libretro front-end.  I'm pretty pleased with atGames!  The fact this works says they pretty much stuck with implementing a "clean" Libretro interface. 

That said, I hope this is working well enough to allow people to play some of the MANY great games written for the Atari 8-bit computers on the device.

Current issues/limitations:

1) I only set this up to work with .xex files, but I guess it could work with other formats.  I have had good luck with .xex on other "Libreto/Retroarch" devices I set up, so stuck with what I had (for now).  I will investigate other formats, but anyone else could also try it - just by adding extensions and calls in the runcommand script.  Pretty sure it will NOT work with .zip files, and that conflicts with the FBA core anyway.

2) Select and Start work, but there is no way to bring up the virtual keyboard.  I'm wondering if the rewind button could be exploited for that, but not sure.  I see the code in there, but not even sure it will work on the device, so need to investigate it.  So, the limitation is pretty much games that will load and operate with only the Select and Start keys, and play using the joystick(s).

3) Rewind doesn't work.  Not sure why, I thought it might have been one of a few things I "#ifdefed" out to get things to compile but looking again that's not the case.  Not a real high priority for me...

4) I have no paddles and NO idea about support for those.  I really did not look into it at all.  It might just work, but I think the odds are very slim.  I plan to get some paddles soon.  Just for the 2600 games it would be worth it.

5) There is a sound glitch at startup I haven't noticed with the other cores.  It makes me want to look at how the sound startup is sequenced.  Yet another area I was lucky and "it just worked".  Otherwise, the sound seems "mostly" good to me.

To install:

1) Place the atari800_libretro.so, and atari800.cfg files in your /emulator folder.

2) Replace the runcommand script in /emulator with the one provided.

3) Some atari800 specific options must be set in your rom folders' retroplayer.ini files down in the /rom/data folders.  This is needed for each rom folder where you will place/play Atari800 roms.  I provided the file from my test drive.  Copy the 800 lines out of there or use the whole file.   Or wait until Draxxon build it into one of his releases!

4) You also need the typical Atari computer roms in your /emulator folder (I think as configured only the 800xl one is being used though).   These are named ataribas.rom, atariosa.rom, atariosb.rom, and atarixl.rom.  They should be "lower case" for the sake of the Linux system which is case sensitive.

To-do list is long.  The virtual keyboard would be good.  I'm not really sure whether the atari800.cfg settings or the retrolplayer.ini file settings take priority.  I would like to hardwire more reasonable defaults in case the config files are not in place.  Investigate whether PAL mode can be enabled for specific games, or will a whole different version hardwired for PAL be needed.  Also, I learned a lot that may be helpful to anyone else trying to get a core working or to port a standalone game to the device.  Eventually I will publish the Buildroot SDK, the modified emulator sources (when I clean them up a bit) and some development notes/hints.

Games I tried:  Galactic Chase, Captain Beeble, Shamus, Quasimodo, and the 1984 "Atari Robot Demo".  Those all worked.

There are so many games it will be hard for me to decide which to try.  Some that come to mind are Pastfinder, Zone Ranger, Fort Apocalypse, TumbleBugs, Encounter!  Also, certain ports of Arcade games like Joust and Robotron are likely to play really well on the device.  Maybe there is even a 1-button Defender?  Not sure if games like that cheated and used the keyboard too...

AFBX_A800_1_0.zip

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Quasimodo_AFBX.thumb.jpg.2f4750da1bf743c266ece083312f6156.jpg

Quasimodo running on the AFBX - A good and very difficult game!  I think there is only a single youtube video on it...

Also, early this morning I went through a bunch more obscure coin op games.  I doubt I ever played any of these before, but there are a few hidden gems I will go back to on some rainy pandemic afternoon.  It turns out MANY early games will work on the device.  There are a surprising number of strange Pac-Man clones. Some of those games (fitter?) I could not even figure out the objective.  Also, one or two might need a second button, but I played each for a minute or so and could not detect the need of a second action.  I'm sure some of these are so obscure even Draxxon can't find artwork for them... ?

fba/2.97.44 ROMs:

intrepid.zip
hustle.zip
hotshock.zip
hopprobo.zip
hoccer.zip
herbiedk.zip
guzzler.zip
funnymou.zip
friskyt.zip
fnkyfish.zip
fitter.zip
eyes.zip
dogfight.zip
devilfsh.zip

mame2000/0.375b ROMs:
irobot.zim - Atari early 3D game - pretty interesting!
invrvnga.zim
invinco.zim
insectx.zim - Pretty good cartoonish shmup.
hoccer.zim
hexa.zim
headon2.zim
hattrick.zim
hardhat.zim
gypsyjug.zim
gunfight.zim
goindol.zim
gmissile.zim - About as retro as it gets, and no sound.  But might be fun playing 2 players
funkybee.zim
fantasy.zim
extrmatn.zim - Decent shmup, what do you do in the underground bunker?
exedexes.zim - Another good shmup, kind of a one button Xevious
eggs.zim
dominos.zim - VERY early Atari game - no sound
diamond.zim - Possibly plays a bit slow, but otherwise very playable boulderdash like game.
devzone.zim
deadeye.zim
dangerz.zim
cutieq.zim

• Thanks 1

This is awesome. I'll get it all together and out there soon.
I've added all the other Arcade games from before, but this new list will keep me busy.
As far as obscure artwork... Pisces, War of the Bugs, Vastar, Starwars (not the real one) all had no box art.

If I can't find any I will just create some custom artwork until the real stuff is found.

So, I have completely streamlined NEXUS. The first release was overkill, as I typically do, so there are examples of all the ways to links stuff and organize stuff I can think of. I feel its always easier for someone to remove something they dont want than to add it from scratch. New version is a lot less involved.

I will get atari800 running and a few games as examples and release the new version. Heads up, Ive started working on Atari2600 PAL games and they have no box art yet. I'm guessing in a few hours, sometime late tonite.

a800bios.rar

Atari 8bit Computer Game Box Art : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Atari 800 Full Rom Collection Reupload By Dataghost : Dataghost : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Edited by Draxxon

13 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

I will get atari800 running and a few games as examples and release the new version.

Great, I'm looking forward to it!  I guess Artwork is also going to be harder for Atari800, btw.  Maybe on the 8-bit games wait and see if people suggest some favorites to put in an initial release - like a top 20 or 30?  I just tried Moon Patrol (rom says 5200, but still set up for one button with up on the stick used to jump), and Robotron.  Robotron requires the Option button to change difficulty and I'm sure a lot of other games need it too.  I think I can set up something like hold joystick up, then select==option.  I will look at that in the next few days,

Here is the newest pack with everything set up and a handful of Atari 800 games to get you started. A lot of needless features are now gone. Cut and paste them from the NEXUSv1 if you want them back. There are NO cloned entries, there is no factory restore, there is no 3rd level of menus and a second NEXUS, etc.

There IS new Atari 2600 Imports, Prototypes & Hacks sections (EMPTY). The Atari 2600 (PAL) category is under heavy construction, but the games are working. The Legends Flashback section has NES/Famicom and non-Atari Arcade games. The final AtGames system, the Sega Genesis Flashback w/ theme, has been added. It has all the Sega stuff. In these two flashback sections the "Atari" and "Paddle" side menu sections sort NES from Arcade games; or they sort Genesis from SMS+GG+SG1K. Not ideal looking, but it's functional.

When you first power on to the main list, to get to the Atari Vault/NEXUS, click on the last entry in your list, the "RETURN" switch. To get back to the main list click on "Atari 2600 NTSC-U" games. That's it. Have fun! AND REMEMBER... THE RETURN SWITCH IS YOUR FRIEND.

Atari Flashback X - NEXUS V.0.2.0 (Atari 800 Update)

NEXUSv2.rar

Edited by Draxxon

[MAME] Atari Flashback Mini 7800 (NES on a Chip) (c)2004 Atari (part 1) - YouTube

Anyone have a clue how to get Atari flashback 1 (NES on a chip) games working on this system?
Was the mame rom ever released? is it compatible with MAME2000? Are there NES version roms?

I found this, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for.

a7800.zip

Edited by Draxxon

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

[MAME] Atari Flashback Mini 7800 (NES on a Chip) (c)2004 Atari (part 1) - YouTube

Anyone have a clue how to get Atari flashback 1 (NES on a chip) games working on this system?
Was the mame rom ever released? is it compatible with MAME2000? Are there NES version roms?

I found this, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for.

a7800.zip 11.98 kB · 1 download

My understanding was that the AFB 1 was a NOAC. All the games were rewritten to actually be NES games. My guess is that they would work in any NES emulator with the proper header and nes mapper.

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=10890

Edited by CapitanClassic

2 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

My understanding was that the AFB 1 was a NOAC. All the games were rewritten to actually be NES games. My guess is that they would work in any NES emulator with the proper header and nes mapper.

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=10890

I suppose youre correct. I figure with MAME version we can button map if there were multiple button games, I honestly cant remeber.
Here are the NES versions.

Atari Flashback 1 - NES-on-a-chip.rar

Just a minor side project, I know how most people feel about these versions, but its a flashback and we have .nes support, so why not???

Here are the 20 AFB1 NES on a chip games all set up. copy over your old files.

NEXUS V.0.2.1 (Atari Flashback 1 Update only)

NEXUS_AFB1_Update.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 2

Hey Draxxon, I like the layout of the new version!  Joust and Quasimodo would not load for me in the setup, so I dropped in my copies and then they work.  Also I noticed my quasimodo.xex is about half the size. 

Not sure if something just went wrong with my drive, but anyway pretty sure I originally got the files I use from HERE.

BTW, just noticed Red Baron was not put in the Atari games folder and there are two "return to top" in the flashback/general arcade area. 

Also, nice find on Popeye, that is a good game.  I tried several versions - they all didn't run right.

Taking a look at having Option and on-screen keyboard.   Option is not too bad, the OSK is going to be a little more challenging.

Edited by rocketfan

I had to press fire for Joust and Quasimodo to load. I have been using the DataGhost set. That other TOSEC set is on its way now. Also, all the AFB1-NESOAC games seems to be working right. There was a few games in the folder that werent FB originals. There were alt versions of games on the FB3, but I dont have much info on them yet???

Thanks on the errors, I rushed out what I had so people could mess with A800. I fixed what was mentioned. Next I'm going to work on that large list of Arcade titles.

Let me know if I missed something

Sega Genesis
Super Columns

Final Burn Alpha
colony 7
Bombjack
Pooyan
intrepid.zip
hustle.zip
hotshock.zip
hopprobo.zip
hoccer.zip
herbiedk.zip
guzzler.zip
funnymou.zip
friskyt.zip
fnkyfish.zip
fitter.zip
eyes.zip
dogfight.zip
devilfsh.zip

MAME2000
Junglek
jungleh
mtrap
mtrap3
mtrap4
irobot.zim - Atari
invrvnga.zim
invinco.zim
insectx.zim
hoccer.zim
hexa.zim
headon2.zim
hattrick.zim
hardhat.zim
gypsyjug.zim
gunfight.zim
goindol.zim
gmissile.zim - no sound
funkybee.zim
fantasy.zim
extrmatn.zim
exedexes.zim
eggs.zim
dominos.zim - Atari - no sound
diamond.zim
devzone.zim
deadeye.zim
dangerz.zim
cutieq.zim

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Somehow that last post lost all my text.  Bottom line: This new core supports Option and OSK.  Use the 2nd joystick button as "shift".  shift+Select=>Option, shift+Start=>OSK.  Exit the OSK by selecting the lower-rght EKB "key".

Thank you Bryan Schappel for providing T:edit, which helped me a lot with the testing.

The keyboard still has bugs and non-functional keys, but does a lot.  The code was almost working, but needed a lot of tweaking in that area for some reason, like someone started to modify it to a European keyboard and didn't finish.

Big Bonus:  Go to page 2 of OSK,  SHIFT, then F10.  You get a screenshot in your Emulator folder.  Examples are in the post above.

That's it, I stayed up way too late on this.  Please let me know if I broke something else in the process.

• Thanks 1

Okay, I flipped Hoccer to MAME 2000.

Super Pac was a prototype iirc. I switched over to the A800 set youre using. I switched Quasi and Joust, But I couldnt get joust to work?!? so I flipped it back to the press fire to start version.

i see super columns was a gamegear game. thats why i couldnt find it. I have added all the FBA games, Ill finish up MAME today. Added a few A800 games, river raid, dig dug, pac-man, galaxian, DK, DKjr.... the basic stuff.

Also most the box art for the A800 stuff has the atarimania watermark. I try to avoid watermarked art, but so far, it is all i have. I can paint alot of the w.marks out later. BTW, so far so good, I havent come across any art I cant find in this current batch. Centipede-A800 had to be recreated. hot shockers arcade flyer was a bitch to find and make it presentable. lol. It is a long process. I dont know how many people remember the regular atari sections evolution, but it started the same way, missing and wrong boxes, watermarks, poor quality and faded scans. But if you look at the regular section now, it looks sharp.

I'm thinking about starting a youtube channel. "Atari Flashback Nexus" I think if we get some videos out, people might visit here.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

I already ran into an issue with my "Option" key setup, which is that Super Pac-Man uses the option key for difficulty or something, but the game will start when the Joystick 2 button is pressed, so the JS2+Select method doesn't work on that one.

Possibly it would be better to have the current Select button enter the OSK, and in there have Select and Option buttons.  That way you also don't have to mess with JS2.  I'm whipped after last night's marathon session, but this coming weekend I'll take a look at whether that can be done.  Also, I want to look at the "stability" issues.  I have been getting into the "won't launch a game" mode a bit too often!  I think there are pretty decent odds of figuring out what is going on and at least improving it. 

Draxxon, if you start a youtube channel I will subscribe for sure.  Also though, maybe some 8-bit enthusiasts would take interest if it gets linked elsewhere on AtariAge?  I haven't paid too much attention to other topics outside of this thread and the one on the LFB when you were more active on that.  I know you can emulate Atari systems a lot of ways, but sitting on the couch with this little console and an Atari joystick is pretty sweet!

PS - The screenshot doesn't always go in /emulator.  If your rom folder is setup with a theme then the screenshots go in the the current selected rom folder.  Not a big deal, but also on the to-do list is hard-wire it to /emulator.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1

I can tell you the stability issue has been there since the beginning for me. Before there were 1000+ games. And I encounter the exact same thing on my NES Classic. I think. C-8 error. On the LFB, it is also there. If it is the memory filling up, is there a way to clear memory whenever you exit a game, or some other trigger?

I have finished the Atari Flashback "exclusives" folder (unreleased protos, hacks, and quasi-arcade versions that came out on a flashback.) There ended up being 51 total. I have normalized all the box art. Added game descriptions, and in the Note= section i add what flashback it debuted on, or if it is an NES or ARCADE type version. There is 2 or 3 missing a description and or instructions. I guess some AFB1 games were "7800" versions LOL. So I used that box art for those few games. I did include the portables (Pac-Man 4k/8k) but i have not even looked into the AFBClassics discs and stuff. I doubt I will at this point.

I used this, and other places, for afb info:
Atari Compendium

I have a question, and its an idea for some later date. Can this thing run a .pdf viewer (or something similar) and can we load all the game manuals and atari magazines on it?

I still need to finish the mame art, but i have everything ready to go.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Draxxon said:

I have a question, and its an idea for some later date. Can this thing run a .pdf viewer (or something similar) and can we load all the game manuals and atari magazines on it?

Something along those lines might be doable if a port could be done of this retroarch "image viewer" core:

https://docs.libretro.com/library/imageviewer/

It looks like you can page through multiple images with it.  When setting up the Buildroot sdk I only included .png support because it seemed like the Atari800 core needed it (I now realize it is for the screenshot thing), but it is easy to include extra image format support - other than the Buildroot generation take a few hours of compile time.  Anything involving a "core" is going to be easier than a standalone application, IMO.  Probably that core is a lot simpler than the Atari800 one, so my confidence it could work is pretty high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2021 at 12:14 PM, Draxxon said:

Just a minor side project, I know how most people feel about these versions, but its a flashback and we have .nes support, so why not???

Here are the 20 AFB1 NES on a chip games all set up. copy over your old files.

NEXUS V.0.2.1 (Atari Flashback 1 Update only)

NEXUS_AFB1_Update.rar 3.01 MB · 5 downloads

This is something I support. I plan on setting up my AFBX to play 2600, (2600 homebrew), a800, a800 homebrew, and the AFB1 nes ports (because that makes the most sense), along with any other AFB exclusive hacks.

I may also include a couple of MAME arcade games (probably Atari branded), and maybe Colecovision (because I don’t have a dedicated machine for that yet). 

this thread is moving fast, and I am falling behind. Hope to update at least by this weekend.