IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

you can always just download the newest version of NEXUS, and go into the /nexus/all-games.ini file and just remove the link to categories you dont want. If you dont want the sega section, make the all-games.ini entry look like this:

,Sega Genesis Flashback]
,File=/rom/rom_sgfb.goto
,Platform=Utility
,Sort=B
,Year=2021
,Genre=unclassified
,Description=Switch to Sega Genesis Flashback mode.
,Note= \
,Please do not turn off the system while restarting.

you have to take out the "[" or the system will see the entry. this will remove the link to the section in the nexus so you cant go there anymore. You could also easily add the section back if you changed your mind later. Colecovision is probably a bust because of the one-button joystick, but if you pick up a LFB2 (100 games) I've already finished the coleco and sg1k/sms packs.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

I have added everything we've talked about here so far. As always, I need feedback. What sucks, looks/functions bad, outright wrong or broken, needs added, whatever! I'm going to be working on sorting out the Protos, Hacks & Imports from the Homebrew in its folder. Then double back for the games cut from the A.T.A.R.I. v2.1 Pack. I also need to look into the lossless .png file size reduction as well. Side note, still no email response yet from AtGames service department regarding the firmware update. :( 

ATARI FLASHBACK X - NEXUS V.0.2.2

(Other Arcade/Atari Arcade/Atari 800 Games Update)

NEXUS_V.0.2.2.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

For my hacks that you have in the pack, I'd prefer they be distributed with the labels/boxart I did for them.  I haven't made labels/boxart for all of them, but I have for a fair amount.  There are several variants for most, like Adventure Enhanced, Double Dragon, Xenophobe, and some others.  I think you could re-size most of them for boxart and they'd look decent, but if not, let me know and I'll see about modifying them if I can find my original templates.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

For my hacks that you have in the pack, I'd prefer they be distributed with the labels/boxart I did for them.  I haven't made labels/boxart for all of them, but I have for a fair amount.  There are several variants for most, like Adventure Enhanced, Double Dragon, Xenophobe, and some others.  I think you could re-size most of them for boxart and they'd look decent, but if not, let me know and I'll see about modifying them if I can find my original templates.

I would totally love to have the proper art for your games, and everything else for that matter. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing and really need help. There is no disrespect if I use the wrong image, its just ignorance on my part.

Kevin, if you can get me a list of art and changes you want made to your stuff, let me know and Ill change things around ASAP. Box art needs to be 183x255 and 122x170 for the Flashback X. I can always help out with that stuff if you need. If you have variant art, we could use one for the small image and a different one for the larger one if you prefer? Shark Attack is an example of a two cover game in the pack now.

And this goes for anyone on the boards, you want your stuff added or removed or edited, anything, I WILL do what you ask. I'll make sure your work is represented the way you wish it to be. 

Thank you, Tom "Draxxon"

EDIT: OH MAN!! LMMFAO! I'm never going to be able to choose. such epic stuff! Also Kevin, have you put any thought into what kind of message you might want added to the Note= part of the game description? If anything.

Cccapture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Draxxon said:

I have added everything we've talked about here so far. As always, I need feedback. What sucks, looks/functions bad, outright wrong or broken, needs added, whatever! I'm going to be working on sorting out the Protos, Hacks & Imports from the Homebrew in its folder. Then double back for the games cut from the A.T.A.R.I. v2.1 Pack. I also need to look into the lossless .png file size reduction as well. Side note, still no email response yet from AtGames service department regarding the firmware update. :( 

ATARI FLASHBACK X - NEXUS V.0.2.2

(Other Arcade/Atari Arcade/Atari 800 Games Update)

NEXUS_V.0.2.2.rar 246.62 MB · 3 downloads

I did get a reponse and they told me an update will be out in the coming weeks. but

v0.1.9 deluxe and 0.1.2.1 X is already out!

On another note...

I have the usb hack working on 0.1.9 but now all the games are gone when I reboot.

I went over the hack and don't see anything why it would be doing this.

I did message Brad about this issue.

Edited by MrFister
  • Thanks 2

Well I'll be damned! Thank you AtGames!

At least now people with newer models can flash the old CFW, play around and can flash back later if they want to.

And.... new CFW can finally be made. I'll add a /restore folder to the NEXUS pack with these files added.

0.1.9.img 0.1.21.img

OFW_Unpacked.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 2

I did one experiment tonight with a good result.  Triumph.xex is a PAL-only home-brew A800 puzzle game from the 90's.  On Retroarch as on the AFBX core, if you don't specify PAL for it the intro screen looks OK, but the actual game play is jumpy.  In Retroarch you can save a "per game core file".   I was worrying if there was a way to handle that, however adding these lines to the bottom of the /rom???/data/retroplayer.ini file worked:

[Triumph.xex]
atari800_ntscpal=PAL

So to add some specific PAL-only game you can use that approach.  If you do load Triumph BTW, the screen fuzzes out three different ways during the first twenty or so seconds of initialization, so be patient.  :)  Only one life in that game, and if you screw up the puzzle so you are stuck, all you can do is go run into the ghost thing.

59 minutes ago, MrFister said:

I have the usb hack working on 0.1.9 but now all the games are gone when I reboot.

If the built in games are gone from the system itself without a USB drive inserted? My guess is they didnt flash to the system or the all-games.ini file is in /emu or /rom or vice versa. Brad rerouted the all-games from /emu back to /rom like on the 9. I think. dont quote me. just taking a stab at it.

If the games are gone from the /rom folder using the control files on your flash drive. they didnt fully dump, delete the rom folder and dump them again, wait longer this time.

Captudre.PNG

Capture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon

39 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

At least now people with newer models can flash the old CFW, play around and can flash back later if they want to.

I just bought the Sam's club version in January so I guess I would have had the latest FW (but sorry I didn't check) and the original custom FW has worked well for me.  I agree though this is good insurance for people, and I hope we can get an updated custom FW based on this!   

25 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

My guess is they didnt flash to the system or the all-games.ini file is in /emu or /rom

Yes. I believe you are correct that one of the mods to the retromenu executable in the custom FW is that it pulls all-games.ini from /rom.  So, if there is no copy of the original  all-games.ini added into the /rom part of the custom FW, then that would have the effect of making the games not show up.

Side note:  the retromenu.run (the one that has to sit out on the thumb drive) is a mod of Brad's mod, and would probably be better to re-mod the very latest version in case there are other fixes in there!

Draxxon, also a minor idea.  Those Genre categories "Paddle Games" and "Atari Games" are hardwired strings in the retromenu executable, but they could be modified to something more generic, like "Subset 1" and "Subset 2" or whatever might work better, as long as the number of characters do not exceed the original string.  Your genre settings might be possible to modify also.  So in the list you could have genre=set1 and "set2" (or whatever).  That would be done in the retromenu.run out on the stick, so it would never impact the way things run when booting without the stick.  Just a thought.

Edited by rocketfan

[Global]
AudioSample=2048
ScanlineFilter=0
RewindStep=4
UseBezel=0
BezelPath=<path to bezel>
Language=0
UseOSD=0
MaxBlackTimeout=600
CombinedKeys=0

[Core]
genesis_plus_gx_no_sprite_limit=disabled

[Rewind]
VideoChess.a26=2
Amidar.a26=0

[AudioType]
Hero.a26=2
Pitfall.a26=2
RiverRaid.a26=2

[Pitfall.a26]
AudioLatency=150
OutputRate=22050

[Hero.a26]
OutputRate=22050

[Hero.a26]
RiverRaid=22050

[AirSeaBattle.a26]
AudioLatency=100

[ChopperCommand.a26]
AudioLatency=100

These are the fixes they implemented. What I dont get is how is box art fixed in this v21 but not in the photos of stock v21, my guess is this is newer or different. but yeah, there is no way the fixed burgertime on my screen is the one people with v21 have been showing me. As far as gameplay, I dont see any difference. I see that they are still using 122x168 and 211x290 so Im guessing they fixed it on their end instead of editing every image and now all my shit is about to be wrong again. It will take a good day or two to fix it. With the current CFW, all the box art has been fixed and we can add these other changes manually. I see no reason for someone not to update with the old CFW at this point.

Here is my opinion. there is no reason at this point to make a new CFW, we wont gain anything but a higher version number. And I think its about to create a shit ton of extra, needless work for me again. I will have to resize every box art, again. even with batch tools its a bitch. there was a tiny bit of cropping that happened in the switch over, and it will happen again. I could go back to ATARIvX.2 or whatever the hell i called it, and use those images as a base. ugh... It's a no brainer for me. But we have been on a quest for it, and we've gotten this far. And I know people want a device with the highest version number, so, lets do it! Just know its a double edged sword for me.

Is there a way to manipulate the displayed version number in the about screen? That will be much easier than resizing this box art. That along with just cut and pasting that bit of audio code for the retro ini file and weve done practically the same thing. I see they moved space invaders to its own folder so it probably is this fixed version. I'm sure we are good to go.

[Space Invaders™]
File=/emulator/invaders/SpaceInvaders.a26
Platform=Taito
Sort=Space Invaders
Year=2015
Genre=Arcade

invaders.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

(Snip)

all_games.ini changes

These are the fixes they implemented.

(Snip)

I see no reason for someone not to update with the old CFW at this point.

Here is my opinion. there is no reason at this point to make a new CFW, we wont gain anything but a higher version number. And I think its about to create a shit ton of extra, needless work for me again. 

If all they made were INI changes, I also don’t think it is worth the trouble to update to the highest version#. Has anyone experienced any issues downgrading from 1.21 to the CFW version (based off of 1.18). If not, spend your time on better things. Thanks again for all the work you and the others are putting into this. Going to try to update the AFBX tonight so I can get some a800 games in.

they also fixed the box art, in a different way.

they also fixed space invaders arcade, im porting it over now.
I'm also adding their ini changes to our packs ini.

thats all i see. maybe im wrong.

and you would have those changes made to your console, not running off of the usb device. In fairness, thats a big deal.
We should just move forward with new CFW, Im just getting over the shock realization of what it means for just me.
I saw this coming, I tried not to speak it into the universe, lmmfao. 

Edited by Draxxon

Counting Left->Right and down, I prefer the other artwork over what looks like the Genesis box art (3, 4).

Of those, the silver box (6) and black (7) boxes look the nicest, because the Activision rainbow pops better on those colors.

I don’t know what would be era appropriate though. By the time 1989 rolled around I think we had an NES.

Cccapture.PNG

20 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

If all they made were INI changes, I also don’t think it is worth the trouble to update to the highest version#. Has anyone experienced any issues downgrading from 1.21 to the CFW version (based off of 1.18). If not, spend your time on better things. Thanks again for all the work you and the others are putting into this. Going to try to update the AFBX tonight so I can get some a800 games in.

Draxxon and MrFister - I have to agree with CapitanClassic here.  Also though keep in mind that with the present setup the retroplayer (emulator) in use was already the 1.21 version.  And the retromenu (menu system), is apparently from 1.18.  All that stuff out on the thumb drive can experimented with and can be changed any time independently of the actual custom FW.  What gets put in the custom FW has to start the system and set everything up to support the custom mods (and run the system when no stick is plugged in) but it's currently otherwise pretty independent of the emulator stuff running on your "Atari Nexus" drive.

• Like 1

lmmfao

Capture.PNG

For what its worth, I have all the updates they made implemented into the pack. And I am still fixing their mistakes. Good thing I spent all that time testing to see if River Raids audio was better and it was the same and I thought I was an idiot and couldnt tell. I Fixed Audio on handful of games (Maybe this can be looked into and implemented in all games), Fixed P2 on Space Invaders Arcade, We fixed box art by changing all the art to what the computer was looking for, they changed what the computer was looking for to match the original images they already had.

The main reason I see making new CFW is, people with new models are going to be swayed into not using the CFW based solely on that alone. I personally would like to have an up to date stock machine when i have no usb drive running. Either way, IDC.

P.S. Did AtGames say ANOTHER update was coming? Online Leaderboards??? Hrmm... I see all 3 LFB units got updates as well.

Edited by Draxxon

Im trying to figure out why it takes so long for homebrew to load. /rom and /rom_hb have around the same number of games and the same size folder. 400~500 games. ~60MB. Is it the length of the all-games.ini doing it? Is a random hb game causing it? do we even need 2 HB folders after all? Did removing a shit ton of HB games from ATARIv2.1 even need to be done? How many games can I add to a section before load times increase from the stock ~4 secs if I can figure out if something else is causing it in homebrew?

I'm going to take a small break while we wait and see if AtGames releases any more FW updates any time soon, and see if any new CFW arises. You guys have the tools to add or subtract whatever you want from this pack. just keep a running list of compatible stuff while we wait to see which way we go. I'll continue no matter what you all decided. Just know I vote for up to date CFW. Ill double back for the old art, it wont be that bad.

"I'm fast, Chuckie; real fast." - Tommy Pickles

ATARI FLASHBACK X - NEXUS V.0.2.3

(AtGames Update; Space Invaders P2 & Audio Fixes)

NEXUS_V.0.2.3.rar

Edited by Draxxon

.xex = Atari 800
.a26 = atari 2600

.nes = Nintendo/Famicom

.gen/.md = Genesis / Megadrive / (via gen+GX)

.bin+.cue/.iso/.chd = Sega-CD / Mega-CD

.sg = SG-1000 / Mark-II

.bin = Genesis / Megadrive / pico / 32X (via picodrive)

.sgg/.gg = Game Gear

.sms = Master System / Mark-III

.zim = Arcade Games (via Mame2000)

.zip = Neo Geo / Arcade Games (via FBAlpha2012, Maybe more systems than just Arcade games)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

unlocked LFB2 has no 32X, Atari800 or Atari2600 (although Out of Box Deluxe units WILL play .a26)

.sms = Master System / Mark-III

.zim = Arcade Games (via Mame2000 or MAME2003+, I forget)

.bin/.gen/.md = Genesis / Megadrive / (via gen+GX)

.bin+.cue/.iso/.chd = Sega-CD / Mega-CD

.sg = SG-1000 / Mark-II

.gg (only) = Game gear

.dat (only) = NES / famicom

.fig = SNES

.cv = colecovision
.7z = Neo Geo / Arcade Games
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

its all just choices, you could swap them all around with enough know how, I believe.
the joysticks 1 button is what the limitation is here.

On a side note, it looks like the Legends Core Gamer is set to release in stores tomorrow.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rocketfan said:

Draxxon, also a minor idea.  Those Genre categories "Paddle Games" and "Atari Games" are hardwired strings in the retromenu executable, but they could be modified to something more generic, like "Subset 1" and "Subset 2" or whatever might work better, as long as the number of characters do not exceed the original string.  Your genre settings might be possible to modify also.  So in the list you could have genre=set1 and "set2" (or whatever).  That would be done in the retromenu.run out on the stick, so it would never impact the way things run when booting without the stick.  Just a thought.

I must have missed this. Thats a good idea.
you wouldnt even have to change the atari or paddle genre= stuff either. you only see that in the all-games, and i can remember atari=set1 and paddle=set2.

but it really just depends what people want. If no one wants the LFB and SGFB folders, then, there is no point in changing the side menu names. I personally want the other "virtual flashbacks" on my console. I think they're cool, and I actually do play those games on this atari X.

I'm looking to pick up a video capture card for my X in the next couple days, any recommendations are welcome. And, i created the YouTube page:

Atari Flashback Nexus - YouTube

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Kevin, I've narrowed it down to these. Tell me what you think. I'm sorry you lose some resolution when they get sized for this system. You'll have to forgive me, when I started this little project out, I used ArenaFoot's AFBP pack as my base. I think that is where your versions originated from for me. I'm not aware that I have Xenophobe of yours in my pack, but I processed it anyways. I can always add the various new versions to the pack if you want.

If there are more games I need to fix or there are more games you want added in the future, just let me know.
Thank you, Tom.

1.png2.pngA.pngB.png

C.pngX.pngY.png

Edited by Draxxon

Atari Flashback Nexus - YouTube
The youtube page is all set up. The intro for videos is made.
We need 100 subs to get the custom URL, that is the first step.

You guys want these video comments on or off? If I set videos for kid friendly, it will turn the comments off I learned.
It has been awhile since Ive ran a youtube account. We will make it however we want to, tho.

If you have a video you want put on here, or want to help out with the page, just speak up.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

So I have a AFX running 0.1.7 firmware that I have been trying to dump since before the new update came out. Draxxon has been helping me get Ubuntu running in a VM and getting the RKFlashkit installed.

However when I plug the AFX into the USB port nothing happens. (When I plug in a USB memory stick it gets recognized right away.)

I realize there is a newer firmware so this isn't as important anymore, but I figured I'd ask for help before I abandon the idea and flash a new CFW.

Any ideas why its not showing up in Ubuntu?

Thats not me helping you with linux, sorry.

if version 1.9 is out, I would flash the CFW and play with it. then if you ever feel the need to go back to stock, flash the new v9.
I know Mr. Fister is the one into all of this, tho. He is trying to collect all the various past firmware revisions. I'm guessing he is the one PMing you.
If you are close to dumping it, maybe talk to him first.

Just a guess, does Ubuntu need the AFBX drivers installed to "see" it, like a windows machine?

Edited by Draxxon

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

Thats not me helping you with linux, sorry.

if version 1.9 is out, I would flash the CFW and play with it. then if you ever feel the need to go back to stock, flash the new v9.
I know Mr. Fister is the one into all of this, tho. He is trying to collect all the various past firmware revisions. I'm guessing he is the one PMing you.
If you are close to dumping it, maybe talk to him first.

Just a guess, does Ubuntu need the AFBX drivers installed to "see" it, like a windows machine?

Is it possible to dump the firmware in Windows?

Edited by Velvis
CHanges