IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

Atari Flashback X - NEXUS V.0.3.1 (Atari BASIC Update)

- Added the Utilities category for test carts (Empty)

- Added the Atari BASIC category

- Add a handful of ABASIC games

- Created placeholder box art (I have to play the game to know what it actually is yet.)

- Added the Atari Branded Arcade Games

- Added the "Other" Arcade Games

- Added the AA members late A800 nominated games

- Minor tweaks and fixes

- Note: I have been running 1.2Ghz CPU and stock 300Mhz GPU all day with no issues. 400Mhz was black screen crashing yesterday

- Thank You to Everyone here at AtariAge

NEXUSv3.1.rar

Edited by Draxxon

I think I would be okay with hiding the otg and flashdrive inside something like this, idk, stick a fan in it.
I dont think it would be hard to make the base, but that smoked plexi top, i have no clue.

102688456.lg.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

23 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Atari Flashback X - NEXUS V.0.3.1 (Atari BASIC Update)

Caused me to stay up late again playing old Atari games!  The results are awesome Draxxon.  I feel bad when I try to create some icons for my LFB setup and they come out kind of pathetic.  ?

I just want to mention to people to have some patience when loading the BASIC games.  Some of those take quite a while to come up.  These were type-in games from magazines in the 80's.

Edited by rocketfan

I wish i knew what magazines and could use the covers as box art. As far as icons, i took a lot of art and marketing classes. I dont make any of the art, per se, I just google image search until something catches my eye. I thought the atari art for "free games for this computer" was kind of neat. I try to incorporate anything old and atari like that.

Maybe I can dig up some.  For example Escape from Epsilon (really good BASIC game - I tip my hat to J. D. Casten, wherever he is) came from Antic:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n2/escape.html

And here is the cover:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/covers/showcover.php?issue=v3n2

Here is the link to Diver, though you made great art for that already:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n6/diver.html

And cover:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/covers/showcover.php?issue=v3n6

Hah, I just discovered JD's biography here:  https://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n8/Biffdrop.html   I may have to check out some of his other games!

A lot of those games probably came from Antic and could be found by searching here:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/index/?mag=antic

Here is where "Island Jumper" came from:

https://www.atariarchives.org/c1bag/page154.php

Yes - it could take a lot of digging!

Edited by rocketfan

So I paid 35 for some "refurbished" pads on amazon. They were crap, chipped, scratched to all hell and broken fire buttons. But the dial worked as well as its going to work on the afbx, so I am building them into the shells of the 5 dollar Wal-Mart blast paddles. I don't have the know how to wire up start, select and rewind and menu but I think that would be sweet if it could be done.

16160156360501177479642.jpg

They turned out pretty sweet. Just sucks that paddle support is so shoddy on the AFBs. I'm pretty sure I could make rewind a second fire button pretty easily. I learned that the fire button switch in the blast pads was better than the stock ones I had. They click. And just work better. The dials/potentiometers in the blast pads didn't work at all, I had to keep the stock ones. It looks like the dials were new in the set I got, I think that was all that was actually refurbished. The buttons were sunk in, the plastic that holds the switch was broken and not in the shell. Anyways, they work now.

1616025125263-320427435.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

2 hours ago, Draxxon said:

So I paid 35 for some "refurbished" pads on amazon. They were crap, chipped, scratched to all hell and broken fire buttons. But the dial worked as well as its going to work on the afbx, so I am building them into the shells of the 5 dollar Wal-Mart blast paddles. I don't have the know how to wire up start, select and rewind and menu but I think that would be sweet if it could be done.

16160156360501177479642.jpg

What do you mean by pads? 

Paddles ... a set of the 'other' Atari controllers.

I can't be sure, since they didn't work well, but my paddles seemed to be in great shape ... I sill think the problem was with the Flashback unit. Maybe I'll have to buy an actual Atari 2600 to try them on, to be sure. Or find someone who has one, who will let me try them.

Thanks batchman, yeah pads=paddles, my mistake. 

Now I'm sitting here wondering why atgames didn't make these for sale. It couldn't of been that hard to make paddles for the afb and not for some shitty Wal-Mart wireless blast units that never sold until they got to 5 bucks.

1616026941173-1511923718.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

Right now, my goal is to try and find how to add the Turbo Twist spinner I bought years ago, in preparing to try and build a cabinet, onto my Legends Gamer Pro ... it ought to let me play all the spinner games pretty well. Going to take some work and figuring, though, to get everything set up!

I know I'm repeating myself, but it really sucks that they include so many blasted paddle games with no way to play the properly!

1 hour ago, Batchman said:

Right now, my goal is to try and find how to add the Turbo Twist spinner I bought years ago, in preparing to try and build a cabinet, onto my Legends Gamer Pro ... it ought to let me play all the spinner games pretty well. Going to take some work and figuring, though, to get everything set up!

I know I'm repeating myself, but it really sucks that they include so many blasted paddle games with no way to play the properly!

I agree I have been looking for a modern solution to playing with paddles for years. Paddle games suck without a paddle. It shouldnt be this difficult. 4 Player Warlords with paddles would be awesome.

19 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Are most Atari 800 games one button?

will multi disc games work? disc 1 of 2, side A, side B 2 0f 2 Side A and B etc?

Yes, and there are hundreds (thousands?) more games BTW.   However, I think you have a pretty awesome selection in place already!   Many games use keyboard input for setup, and more use keyboard for gameplay, from full-on text adventures to games like Spelunker.  Spelunker was mentioned several times on the top-ten list but it requires 3 or 4 keyboard keys to play it:  https://archive.org/details/agm_Spelunker_Manual/page/n1/mode/2up

One good place to see games that are strictly joystick is Atarimania. For instance Rescue on Fractalus from Lucasfilm was an early 3D game and super cool in it's day, but takes keyboard inputs as indicated under "controls" on Atarimania:  http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-rescue-on-fractalus_4352.html

Multi-disc games:  Not sure, but I bet if you had a favorite, you could make it work through the UI emulator menu (for anyone not paying attention, F1 on the second page of the OSK).  Conan, a good platformer was suggested but I never even tried it because I figured you would have to configure too much for most people to figure it out.   You would probably have to set up the disk menu pointing at the diff disks, then at some point in game play like switching levels load data from a different disk.  Not sure it would be easy to test either, because I don't know when you get asked for the second disk on a game like that.

Also an FYI from the "top ten A800 games thread" I was told you can configure Scramble to drop bombs at the same time as fire.  At startup go to the OSK, space bar brings up a config menu, and press 6 to pick the "fire both" option.  

PS - good job on the paddles!

Edited by rocketfan

Well, I would just like to add all the A800 games, it will go much faster if i just add everything i have box art for.
but if a large number of them are going to be unplayable, then it will be a waste of time if a bunch of stuff will have to be

removed after the fact. Are they totally not playable at all, or are they just a pain in the ass with the OSK and not fun to play?

my fear with 1000s of a800 games is you guys could feed me a list of 30 at a time for years. I also see they will need more than

one folder to sort them all. I really wish we had keyboard support thru the OTG adapter. i would have no worries and add them all.

Multidisc games, if there is a way to make them work, i could put just disk one with box art in the main menu and dump the other disc

and sides files in the /rom_a800 folder. but if they wont work at all, ill cut them out.

Edited by Draxxon

@Draxxon, thank you very much for your work!

What is the source of your A8 games?

Homesoft is the best one because games are continually updated and cleaned - no intros, no unpacking delays, no glitches.

If you click on "Download all" button on the right, you'll get a zip file with all games in XEX format inside A-Z folders and a folder with games available in ATR format only.

• Thanks 1

@Draxxon Here are my thoughts - we really don't want to exceed whatever limit makes the section take forever to load, maybe 400 max?  So how about an approach like this - you give me the list of games you have art for, I will go through Atarimania and find the top-200 not already in there or whatever rated joystick only games which overlaps your list.   I would usually like to test play them, but that batch approach could make that easier too.

I can experiment with multi-disk also.

What do you think?

i have all the art, i have multiple packs of art and roms "I have ALL the packs" lol, i have a800 3d box art even. what if i process all the A games and you tell me what to cut out. I say that because, I already have processed the A games. across the entire nexus, sears, homebrew, hacks, protos, basic, every category. Yes there are 1000s of games, so we may need a new way to sort stuff. basic, for instance could have two folders, A-M and N-Z for example.

Its all just ideas, i havent gone too far, i can double back to the last released pack and start again. but I need a workflow. If i have to research every game individually for playability and box art, this will take forever. Its going to be easier to just load everything and cut out whats bad later. its worked for all the other libraries ive done. Coleco started with everything loaded and we found out that super game module games didnt work, they got cut out later. I'm also trying to avoid getting burned out. for this same reason I dont add the game descriptions.

I see that often flicker objects are flickering not right. They disappear for second two, three seconds then they show up for like half second then again disappear for 2-3 seconds etc. etc. Is there a way to fix it ?

Here's video of what I mean.

Atari Flashback X:

Stella on PC:

On 3/17/2021 at 8:19 PM, Draxxon said:

Thanks batchman, yeah pads=paddles, my mistake. 

Now I'm sitting here wondering why atgames didn't make these for sale. It couldn't of been that hard to make paddles for the afb and not for some shitty Wal-Mart wireless blast units that never sold until they got to 5 bucks.

1616026941173-1511923718.jpg

I got a set for my FBX and I noticed the button on one would make the breakout platform go right, and the button on the other would go left, but the dials did nothing.  I was kinda disappointed they didnt work.

Edited by MikeDijital777