IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

Finally tried the latest NEXUS setup on my 9Gold, and man there's a lot of work that's been put into it. Thank you.

Here are a couple things I noticed:

- A800 and 5200 don't work - its not finding the BIOSes.

- Lynx has several 1 button games (especially the homebrew contest releases), but you can't start them since it seems like the wrong button might be mapped.

- 7800 games like Pete Rose, Super Skateboardin' (Absolute/Activision) games are 1-button, but seem to require the other button to start the game. Maybe the AFB button should be mapped to the opposite of what it is now (whether 1 or 2).

- I can play 2600 Roms from the "games" folder only if they're named with the *.a26 extension. This isn't a problem, but I'm curious if there's a way to play other extensions from that folder (ex: the ones requiring Stella 6.x)?  Changing the extension to *.26a works inside the all-games.ini method, but not from the games folder.

- The BG music plays by default when loading another emulator in NEXUS. Can you turn this off by default?

- Sound is flaky or not working with the Genesis emu.  Sometimes plays very soft then gets loud and distorted after a minute or two, or stops working altogether.

- Man, it's cool to play Circus Convoy on my FB9G even if its not 100% full speed. It's still very playable, even though I can't quite tolerate Galagon at that speed (haven't tried the others).

Last thing: can you make the CPU speed patch for the 9? I'd like to see if it helps anything.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Thanks 1

ok so, Kevin, you are the first person I know that has tried and left feedback for the nexus on 9 gold. none of us working on it have a 9 gold. so good to hear it mostly works.

rocketfan had to update a800 to get it working on 9 gold, he probably just missed fixing the path to the bios? easy fix, but just a guess.

i havent gotten any farther on lynx than just getting the core and that one game working. to change the buttons the core HAS to use the LFB retroplayer. you can then change the button mappings in /rom_lynx/data/retroplayer.ini with notepad.

7800 got all the games added so they could be also put into the LFB which has 6 button pads. now we need to see what games need cut from the AFBX and what can be coaxed into working with button swapping magic.

i believe there is no more .bin for atari games because sega genesis is now using it. I believe that you can get support for the other games/cores (.26a) in the /game folder. I think we did it for mame or fba for testing for 1 button games. It would need to be programmed in.

i think i could turn all the bgm off, save it, and when i share the pack it will be off by "default" for users. I just chose to leave it on. You can turn it off and save it, correct? there may also be a way to set it to off for real in the systems files, but i have never messed with it.

well you got two cores, pico and gen+gx, 3 retroplayers, LFB AFB9 AFBX and all the settings in the /data/retroplayer.ini file, so you can mess around with those to try and fix sega sound. I see that AtGames have some audio settings in place for Sega, so sound is gonna probably be an issue no matter how you tweak it.

Overclocking and CFW isnt anything I know how to do. OC was attempted once on the AFB9 and it didnt go so well.

Edited by Draxxon

3 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

- A800 and 5200 don't work - its not finding the BIOSes.

Looks like the config file for AFB9 (which specifies BIOS file locations) in the release .zip hasn't got the required paths in it for whatever reason.  It makes me wonder if under certain conditions the config is being re-generated/defaulted?

The AFB9's have different paths than the X's hence a second copy of this (with the extra .afb9 extension) is needed.  Copy this into your /emulator folder overwriting the current "atari800.cfg.afb9" and hopefully A800 and A5200 will work.

atari800.cfg.afb9

Edited by rocketfan

3 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

can you make the CPU speed patch for the 9? I'd like to see if it helps anything.

There should be a file in the root of your SD card:  CPUfreq.txt.  That is the readout of your current clock rate.  The AFBX's were at 812 Mhz, bumped to 1200Mhz with the overclock.  It's not clear what the Golds are at, so maybe let us know.  The overclock update for AFBX is NOT compatible with AFB9.  I might be possible to concoct one, but it is a bit of a process, and if it goes wrong you will be going back to the Android tools to reflash a previous BIOS.

Edited by rocketfan

5 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

The BG music plays by default when loading another emulator in NEXUS. Can you turn this off by default?

Yes, what Draxxon said.  If you turn it off in the UI settings menu for the particular rom folder, it should stick.  Those settings are per rom folder with Nexus, not global.

Changing the extension to *.26a works inside the all-games.ini method, but not from the games folder.

This gets back  to the old "slots" issue.  The retromenu.run and retromenu.run.afb9 exe's have been hardwired to pick up .a26, .zip, .zim.  I tried wildcards, but in this case that won't work - the programs are looking for exact string matches.  As usual where there is a will there is a way.  I have prototyped a trick - add a .gme "extra extension" so if you have storm_runner.sms  you would make it storm_runner.sms.gme - then it will show up in the game folder list.    When the .gme extension is recognized it is stripped off and then processed as normal.  I will pass these mods to Draxxon for his next full release.

Edited by rocketfan

Sound is flaky or not working with the Genesis emu.  Sometimes plays very soft then gets loud and distorted after a minute or two, or stops working altogether.

I played Genesis Frogger for about 10 mins, no issue - is it only with specific games?

1 hour ago, rocketfan said:

There should be a file in the root of your SD card:  CPUfreq.txt.  That is the readout of your current clock rate...

It says 1008000.

So that's the current clockrate eh?  Well, I guess that makes the overclock less important.  Unless it can go up to 1,200Mhz or higher.  Not sure I want to risk it at the moment, as I haven't soldered a header on this unit for flashing.

11 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

I played Genesis Frogger for about 10 mins, no issue - is it only with specific games?

I tried a few:  Sonic, Fix it Felix, another I can't remember...

and also some Game Gear titles like Mappy

and a Master System one that I can't remember.

The Game Gear would play low volume and flake out after a couple minutes.  The Genesis didn't seem to play sound at all.

13 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

Yes, what Draxxon said.  If you turn it off in the UI settings menu for the particular rom folder, it should stick.  Those settings are per rom folder with Nexus, not global.

Ok, I'll try again, but it didn't seem to be saving the setting.  I could be wrong though.  I'll report back later on it.  If it's just a matter of saving a txt file, I should be able to "find all", edit, and save each.

Edited by KevinMos3

1 minute ago, KevinMos3 said:

It says 1008000.

That is "1008Mhz"  an intermediate rate - faster than the AFBX was set, but not quite the 1200Mhz where the Legends Flashback or the current AFBX mod sets things.  Probably the main place you will notice is the Stella6.1 - most other content barring some specifically challenging mame games should run very well at that rate.

Yeah, better performance with Stella 6.1 would be a major bonus.  It works, but not fast enough for most of the games that require it, (for my taste).  I haven't tried them all yet, but the one that I was fairly happy with was Circus Convoy because that game doesn't have the kind of sounds that are terrible when emulated slower.  Galagon is a definite no-go for me on this system right now.  Still need to try Mappy, but I'm sure it'll be bad too because of the music that I expect to be choppy.

I keep the Retron77 handy for the handful of games that need the newer Stella.  But, I prefer the FB9 wireless controllers so much that I'd gladly just use it instead of the Retron if the speed were a bit better.

If you decide to try overclocking the FB9, let me know.  I can grab my standard out of storage for some testing (wouldn't be till next weekend though).

Edited by KevinMos3

3 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Still need to try Mappy, but I'm sure it'll be bad too because of the music that I expect to be choppy.

I played Mappy first time tonight and it seemed pretty good at the 1200Mhz.  So, I will look at it some time and see what I can do.  I forgot that there could be soldering involved on AFB9's.  Maybe if I make a test patch, someone who has that mod would be willing to try it first?

Has anyone compared the mainboards of the Legends FB and the Atari FB9?  I'm curious if the Legends could be wired up to use in the 9 housing.

But I suppose the wireless controllers probably wouldn't sync to it so if not, that's at least one scratch against going through the trouble.  Just spitballing out loud here...

I was thinking of the benefits of 6-button controller, but that wouldn't "feel" Atari, which would be the point of changing out housing. If I couldn't switch to Atari FB wireless controllers, then that would defeat some of the intent.  But if the wired Atari FB9 controllers at least worked with it, then there's that.

Of course, some ppl would just say "get a pi" if I were to go through all that effort.  But none of what we do in this hobby is really logical...  ;)  It's all about what we have passion for, driven by whatever.

Edited by KevinMos3

27 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

If you decide to try overclocking the FB9, let me know.  I can grab my standard out of storage for some testing (wouldn't be till next weekend though).

Ah - OK.  Since I don't have one of these I have paid no attention to the details of the differences.  I sure won't get to the overclock attempt until the weekend (at earliest) myself.  It might be interesting to see if your standard works any different or better though! 

One thing that worries me is that the AFB9 and AFB9 Gold could have different contents in their /resource partition, which is where the CPU speed change goes.  So, first thing to do is find those partitions from both, unpack them, decode the resources, compare them and etc.

Edited by rocketfan

If I remember correctly...

- The AFB9s and LFB w/ 50 games all have the same SBC w/ the Monkey King clone chip.

- The AFBXs and LFBs w/ 100 games have the Rockchip SBC.
 - you cant use atari sticks on the LFB and you cant use the 6button pads on the AFBs.

The truth is your better off with a LFB and an OEM retrobit genesis 6 button. UNLESS you

really, really like the Atari brand and the iconic one button, right hand, joystick experience.

its cool. I think the design could be larger, and lower. and it kind of looks like a bullseye on you back... 

but its still sweet.

And for the record, I really DO like the atari console and joystick. Its why I'm spending my time on the unit that can play less games.

Edited by Draxxon

13 hours ago, Draxxon said:

ADDED .gme support for the /game folder.

I did some more testing and realize that the .gme support was not working for ALL extensions.  So here is a runcommand you can put in /emulator (on top of the files from Draxxon above) that allows all extensions.

This runcommand ONLY really applies to the Nexus 4.1, not earlier versions.  Keep in mind some games (like Colecovision) really need the settings in the ./data/retroplayer.ini in the associated rom folder to work right.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:46 PM, KevinMos3 said:

Sound is flaky or not working with the Genesis emu.  Sometimes plays very soft then gets loud and distorted after a minute or two, or stops working altogether.

Tonight I reproduced this a couple of times.  In my case it seemed to be upon boot up it was in a bad mode, but not 100% sure.  In a way it is good news it is not isolated to the 9 gold only. 

I first noticed this while testing in the /game folder so I thought it was related to that, but now it seems like not so much.  My last couple of boots I have not been able to have it act up at all.  So, if anyone notices a pattern please let us know.  Also, probably worth trying the "restart" when it happens to see if that helps.

runcommand

• Thanks 1

What's New? A lot... I'm not sure I will remember everything.

IMPROVED the speed of the Stella 6.1 core.

FIXED the extra extension (.gme) for use in the /game folder for ALL the various ROM types.

FIXED the a800 PAL games the weren't working in NTSC mode. (Adax and Alchemia.)

ADDED the FinalBurnNEO core.

ADDED the ability to run ROMs of a similar type with different retroplayers by using extended file extensions.

ADDED various a800 chiptunes to the music folder.

ADDED a Magnavox Odyssey2 folder with games. (Some games use P2 stick after the game # is chose w/ the OSK~select button on P1.)

ADDED the Phillips Videopac+ games to the MO2 folder.
ADDED the TurboGrafx-16 1-Button games to the LFBD folder.

ADDED the rest of the 1-Button, Non-Atari, Arcade games to the LFBD folder.