IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

NEXUSv5.0.rar

I got rid of all the needless categories. I also got rid of all the needless themes.
I removed the "X" from the Atari Flashback X across the top of the screen for

people running this on an AFB9. The AA Top 10 Atari 800 games were added.

Plus countless other minor additions.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wilfwilfus said:

Does anyone think that the scanline filter looks a touch on the higher side?

I compared a few stock games on the FB X without the usb pack & the scanlines don't look as heavy.

Not sure if it's a Stella setting or not.

Can it be adjusted easily?

Good eye!

I compared the recently added (and excellent) port of Seaquest in the Atari Computer section to the one in the 2600 section.  The filter is lighter in the Atari Computer section.

Cutting to the chase, yes you can get a lighter scanline filter for your 2600 games:

Edit your /emulator/runcommand script.  This is the wrapper script that launches games,  In the case statement of game extensions, find the a26 part:

"a26")
     /usr/bin/startx /tmp/retroplayer.9 ${dev}/emulator/stella_libretro.so  $gm >/dev/null 2>&1 ;# >${dev}/output_a26.txt
     ;;

Change retroplayer.9 to retroplayer.x:

"a26")
     /usr/bin/startx /tmp/retroplayer.x ${dev}/emulator/stella_libretro.so  $gm >/dev/null 2>&1 ;# >${dev}/output_a26.txt
     ;;

Explanation:  The scanline filter is implemented in the retroplayer.  We are working with three different "borrowed" retroplayers which have some different attributes.  Kind of roughly:

retroplayer.x  -  The original/proper one from the AFBX - slowest of them all but seems to have best compatibility with different emulators.

retroplayer.9  -  From the Atari Flashback 9.  Significantly faster frame rates than retroplayer.x as observed originally by KevinMos3 and verified by Draxxon using the On Screen frame rate display.  Also, very easy to see the speed improvement in mame2000 games.

retroplayer.l  - From the Legends Flashback.  Even faster!  I believe due to faster/better sound optimization somehow (Cosmo Gang voices are perfect using this retroplayer) - also has flexible button mapping so we could enable the Colecovision keypad with it, and so on.

They each have their pros and cons!  That said the .l and .9 were used for 2600 to improve frame rates, but Kevin noticed the .l was breaking the select function in 2600, so Draxxon recently dropped back to .9.

In conclusion  - you may have slightly lower frame rates using the .x, but IMO for sure the scanline filter looks better.  People are sometimes critical of AtGames, but to me this is an example of them watching certain details and improving things along the way.  I swear I remember seeing a forum post in which someone was asking them to lighten the filter!

Also, if you have applied the overclock, then that vastly improves your Stella frame rates over the stock firmware.  So those extra frame rate improvements from the different retroplayers might be in the noise anyway.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wilfwilfus said:

Thanks for your help ?

You are welcome!

That said, I thought of the other reason it was switched from .x in the first place.  Which is a few games - Mousetrap and Moonsweeper are the ones I can think of - have a display bug with the .x, but not the .9 or .l.

It gets complicated!  So - I think we need a way to "special case" games like that, when they really need the .9 player - I will work on it with Draxxon for next rev.

@Draxxon the game and watch stuff is really kind of neat in there!  I was playing "Galaxy II" and then going through a bunch of the different "Galaxians" options on the units.  There are a lot!!  One of my favorites is the Colecovision/Atarisoft Galaxian.  I like the way it plays and the bee's wings beating effect is cool.  ?  However (after I played a bunch of other stuff) I could not get the Colecovision gamepad with select.  After a reboot it was better.  Just something to watch for...

Some other notes:

Zookeeper is an added arcade game (Legends Flashback) and is a good game!  However, to play it you have to remap the "Diagnostic Advance" (or something like that) in the MAME mapping menu to the fire button.  Then you can advance through the diagnostic menus to reach the point you can add a coin and play it.

Also for Draxxon - there are three versions of Mousetrap in the LFB section, but AFAIK that is a two button game.  I think (?) you need another button to open/close the doors in the arcade version.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Thanks 1

Haha ?  - Yes, OK - my fault.  I didn't play mousetrap much back in the day.  I think I figured it out more when the 2600 Mousetrap thing was not working.  I bet I got others wrong too - some of those obscure games it was a little hard to tell.  Also, some games only use a second control like after you earn a power up!   Like Ringo Starr said "It don't come easy."  ?

• Haha 1

Here is a list of Atari Arcade games on Atari Vault Extended (on Steam) that we dont have in the NEXUS yet. The Progressive Joystick for Atari Vault has an extra button on top of the joystick, so I'm guessing some of these won't be compatible, and some, like Arcade Pong, I was never able to find in the MAME set.

Atari Baseball

Atari Basketball

Atari Soccer

Black Widow

Destroyer

Fire Truck

Gravitar

Lunar Lander

Major Havoc

Maze Invaders

Missile Command

Monte Carlo

Pong

Poolshark

Skydiver

Space Duel

Sprint 2

Super Breakout

Super Bug

Tempest

Edited by Draxxon

20 hours ago, Draxxon said:

NEXUSv5.0.rar 503.29 MB · 19 downloads

I got rid of all the needless categories. I also got rid of all the needless themes.
I removed the "X" from the Atari Flashback X across the top of the screen for

people running this on an AFB9. The AA Top 10 Atari 800 games were added.

Plus countless other minor additions.

Does it work on Atari Flashback 9 Gold?

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, Draxxon said:

Atari Baseball

Atari Basketball

Atari Soccer

Black Widow

Destroyer

Fire Truck

Gravitar

Lunar Lander

Major Havoc

Maze Invaders

Missile Command

Monte Carlo

Pong

Poolshark

Skydiver

Space Duel

Sprint 2

Super Breakout

Super Bug

Tempest

still looking for these.

Edited by Draxxon

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

are those ports or unzipped mame games? Ports??? I think they wont work.

Also, I have the atari vault CD and those are deff not on there. What is the .iso from?

WIN_20210419_19_11_37_Pro.jpg

I found these but they dont work. Im guessing wrong version of mame

A_ARC_2.rar 43.22 kB · 0 downloads

Actually I forgot to mention this is the Atari Vault 50 addon pack iso.

I downloaded it a while back thinking it was the main base iso. I just never deleted it from my PC.

Edited by MrFister

If this is the wrong place to ask this, please let me know - I've done my best to read all of the information presented here, but I'm still slightly lost.

I've ordered a Flashback X, but what I'm attempting to do with it is very, very simple - the original 2600 library (joystick and paddle games, as I think that's all that works with the stock emulator) on a USB flash drive with a stock-but-overclocked system - in other words, I'm not looking for an advanced UI, I don't need extra features, I'm not going to be emulating other systems, DPC+, or anything like that...just bog-standard Atari cartridges from back-in-the-day 'stock' (the only reason I mentioned overclocking is it seems that the stock emulator needs it even for some classic titles).

That being my goal - what do I need to install atop what it ships with?  (I have several OTG cables and flash drives already, so I'm good to go on the hardware side.)

25 minutes ago, Rodney Hester said:

If this is the wrong place to ask this, please let me know - I've done my best to read all of the information presented here, but I'm still slightly lost.

I've ordered a Flashback X, but what I'm attempting to do with it is very, very simple - the original 2600 library (joystick and paddle games, as I think that's all that works with the stock emulator) on a USB flash drive with a stock-but-overclocked system - in other words, I'm not looking for an advanced UI, I don't need extra features, I'm not going to be emulating other systems, DPC+, or anything like that...just bog-standard Atari cartridges from back-in-the-day 'stock' (the only reason I mentioned overclocking is it seems that the stock emulator needs it even for some classic titles).

That being my goal - what do I need to install atop what it ships with?  (I have several OTG cables and flash drives already, so I'm good to go on the hardware side.)

all that has already been done.

First thing I need to know is what version of the X do you have. Standard or Deluxe. 1st version or late model (reset hole on the bottom).

sencond, do you want to add the games to the ext. sd card menu without artwork or the main menu with artwork?

Edited by Draxxon

7 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

all that has already been done.

First thing I need to know is what version of the X do you have. Standard or Deluxe. 1st version or late model (reset hole on the bottom).

sencond, do you want to add the games to the ext. sd card menu without artwork or the main menu with artwork?

Thank you!  It's a Deluxe, but I don't know which revision (yet).  Ideally, they'd be on the main menu with artwork, but does that require permanent/non-reversible changes to the system?

no, it can all be reversed with an official atgames update. and even with the CFW, you cant tell its not stock.

(OPTIONAL)

v.0.1.9 (Deluxe version) official AtGames update that was posted online then removed:

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=814867

v.0.1.9 (Deluxe version) Custom Firmware for running files from the usb drive built off of v.0.1.9 by MrFister and Brad from the 80s.

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=815243

overclock by Rocketfan (CPU 1.2Ghz, GPU 300Mhz)
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=820307

last, I would use MrFisters NTSC pack as your base.
MrFister's Flashback X Deluxe USA NTSC Complete Pack (422 Games) - AtGames Flashback and Portable Consoles - AtariAge Forums

Edited by Draxxon

Can anyone recommend a otg adapter that a) works reliably and b) is available in Canada??

I have one that looks like this:

51PeTT2Z7JL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I always used an offical Raspberry Pi 3 power supply with it.

It was dodgey to start with and now will no longer load Nexus although I can still see Ext USB "game" folder.