IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

OK, first off I apologize for asking for information again that I may have asked about in the past, but I had been waiting something like 1 1/2 to 2 months for my splitter to try and be able to do new things on my AFB X, and it never came, so finally I had to order a different one from amazon, paying more to get just one than I paid to get two that never showed up. ::shakes head::

So I finally have a USB splitter, though I am not sure it's right ... sigh ....

What files, packages, or updates do I want on my USB drive to get it in to my AFB X? At some point I think somebody mentioned not even needing firmware updates, but just one of the NEXUS packages, itself ... but I was probably misunderstanding.

for starters we learned on the last page of this thread that the "octopus" style OTG adapter is not good. I've always heard the wires were hard and stiff and easily wore out and lost connection. Sounds like they also only support USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0 (which you need for NEXUS to run properly). And obviously no left and right angled OTGs as they will block your other ports as another member pointed out. You want to use the one I showed. And I recommend a Sandisk USB 3.0 Flashdrive. Here is a 4 pack of OTGs for $7 bucks:

Amazon.com: 4 Pack OTG Cables for Android Phone, Compatible with Fire Stick 4K, Samsung Galaxy, Compatible with Amazon Fire TV, LG, HTC Tablet Micro USB Host Cords Adapters with Micro USB Power: Computers & Accessories

Next, yes you need CFW for this to work. What model (standard or deluxe) and official FW version is your AFBX on now?

If anyone has issues tracking an OTG cable down here or overseas, or even has issues with amazon or online shopping, PM me and we will get you an OTG cable. I have 4 coming on the 29th. Please don't hit me up for one for your RetroN77, PSX, Sega or S/NES mini. AFBX owners only, please. Honor System. :) 
image.png.62ce4d376a99bdd8ae825bed09a2c9e3.png

Edited by Draxxon

My AFB X is the deluxe with the reset hole on the bottom. The cable I just received today was a USB splitter, but not the USB C, so I would have to hook it in at the power end and see if it would work. And it probably wouldn't ... what a waste. Just wish the ones I'd ordered from ebay would have ever shown up. Those were nice and cheap! Just ordered a new set from the link you provided which will be here on Tuesday, and just downloaded the NEXUS version from the last page, and the game update below it, to get ready.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:32 PM, Tifany said:

NEVERMIND: I started over from scratch for the 5th time and everything is working fine now. Bleh - electronics are so weird sometimes!

Always good to remember that sometimes there are good, scientific reasons that you have to sacrifice a goat to get your electronics working properly.

Atari Flashback NEXUS V.0.5.3 (Update Only)
Gameboy and Gameboy Color Update

The mgba_libretro.so core was added.

It uses .gb and .gbc file extensions
I threw in Pinball - Revenge of the 'Gator as an example

The retroplayer.l is running it and supports key mapping

NEXUSv5.3.rar

PinballRotG.gb.s.png

Edited by Draxxon

Here is an overclock update for Atari Flashback X units to enable three Operating Performance Points (OPPs).  No warranties, use at your own risk, and so on.

WARNING:  It is not compatible with Atari Flashback 9 - DO NOT apply it to those units, as it will permanently BREAK them.  You have been warned.

This works in conjunction with the Nexus 5.1 (or later) release from Draxxon to enable these:

When in the menu, the device will operate at 816Mhz (the original Atari Flashback X factory clock rate).

Playing Atari 2600, the device will operate at 1008Mhz (factory clock rate of Atari Flashback 9).

Playing other games, the device will operate at 1200Mhz (the overclock rate we have been using up 'til now - matches the Legends Flashback units).

Also as Draxxon mentioned, this runs the Mali at 400Mhz, but a lower voltage setting than the Legends Flashback overclock - and matches the factory setting of the Atari Flashback 9.

To apply: rename it as atari_update.img and placing it on the root of a thumb drive.  It should not be applied through the android tools.  When you boot with that thumb drive, you should get the prompt to update, push left, then after a bit see like a flash of a penguin and an updating circle - then WAIT until it goes around and boots again before powering down and remove the atari_update.img file from the drive.

This overclock is totally optional.  As long as you have applied a custom FW from MrFister or Brad_From_The_80s, the Nexus should run fine with or without an overclock applied.   With no overclock some games will run slow, and Stella performance will be reduced somewhat on AFBX.  This can be un-done by applying MrFister's full FW pack.

afbX_update_cpu816_1008_1200_gpu400.img

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Atari Flashback NEXUS V.0.5.3 (Update Only)
Gameboy and Gameboy Color Update

The mgba_libretro.so core was added.

It uses .gb and .gbc file extensions
I threw in Pinball - Revenge of the 'Gator as an example

The retroplayer.l is running it and supports key mapping

NEXUSv5.3.rar 418.24 kB · 7 downloads

PinballRotG.gb.s.png

Will this work on the legends flashback?

I have a issue with NEXUS not running on my X Deluxe.

I have tried numerous times and all I get when I choose a game, is just going back the game selection screen.

I have even made a plain vanilla cfw, but still no go.  Even tried different thumb drives also.

Anybody else having this issue with NEXUS on a X Deluxe unit?

I think I narrowed it down to the runcommand file causing issues on my X Deluxe.

Edited by MrFister

13 minutes ago, MrFister said:

I have a issue with NEXUS not running on my X Deluxe.

I have tried numerous times and all I get when I choose a game, is just going back the game selection screen.

I have even made a plain vanilla cfw, but still no go.  Even tried different thumb drives also.

Anybody else having this issue with NEXUS on a X Deluxe unit?

I think I narrowed it down to the runcommand file causing issues on my X Deluxe.

OMG that sucks. I have had zero issues on my end, I'm Gucci. I actually just got finished playing Asteroids a2600 and its running "perfect". I've been testing a lot more than I usually do before this last release and I haven't seen anything major. And yes the main things that get edited are the runcommand and the startup.sh files.

I had some issues with gambatte_libretro.so doing what youre saying yesterday, but i switched to mgba_libretro.so and everything was good. But I did all that after the fresh 5.1 release.

I have a standard unit, running the Full X Deluxe CFW provided by you. I am also running the new Dynamic CPU + GPU OC. My system has been powered on the better part of 3 days. No issues. I hope this helps.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

OMG that sucks. I have had zero issues on my end, I'm Gucci.

I had some issues with gambatte_libretro.so doing what youre saying yesterday, but i switched to mgba_libretro.so and everything was good. But I did all that after the fresh 5.1 release.

I have a standard unit, running the Full X Deluxe CFW provided by you. I hope this helps.

It might have been a corrupted download.

I will re-download NEXUS and try again now that my crappy internet re-upped this morning. 

What took 3 hours to download yesterday will only take a minute today. lol  I cannot wait for Starlink!

5 minutes ago, MrFister said:

I cannot wait for Starlink!

Im going to miss seeing actual stars, tho.

Just a side note, at the bottom of the forum i can see who instantly logs in and downloads the newest pack. especially now that it takes so long. The download number goes up accordingly. It is the members that are following in the top right tab. Around a dozen people DLed it yesterday and I get hardly any feedback. Times like this i wish someone would have just said "its cool" so at least I know if the upload is good or not. Now, I dont do this for thanks or recognition or whatever, but by letting me know it worked it could help others too. oh well.

Edited by Draxxon

Just now, Draxxon said:

Im going to miss seeing actual stars, tho.

But I have no other choice unless I move and I don't want to.

I already have paid the deposit, now just waiting for them to ship it.

I have no issues with seeing stars where I live, in fact I can see the Milky Way filled with thousands of stars every night!

That is just one reason I moved from the city (Detroit) life!

isnt starlink what Elon Musk is making? I'm pretty sure they are going to surround the globe in an Dyson Sphere type of grid pattern of satellites and eff up the night sky. But your cell phone will work in BFE.

Edited by Draxxon

3 hours ago, Gamer2020 said:

Will this work on the legends flashback?

That's where it came from, LOL. Even GB Advance is running on hacked LFBs currently.

@rocketfan, there has been a lot more talk of LFBs lately. I think its time.

#LFBUltimate

I feel like its also time to make a dedicated thread to NEXUS and ULTIMATE.

Edited by Draxxon

45 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

isnt starlink what Elon Musk is making? I'm pretty sure they are going to surround the globe in an Dyson Sphere type of grid pattern of satellites and eff up the night sky. But your cell phone will work in BFE.

There were already 6000 satelites in space before Starlink even started and about 60% of them are defunct and pose a risk to planet earth.

There is where the real problem lies...

• Like 1

then maybe we should strap some high powered rare earth magnets to that string of LED xmas lights they are stringing up and snatch up all those defunct satellites? lol :) 

Capture.PNG

Now that I think of it, its pretty stupid to wire up an orbiting grid infrastructure w/o first picking up all the junk. You wouldnt set up a pool w/o picking up the ground. Is going to be kind of hard to get up there and clean all the space junk up later if we build an LED-Strip web around the planet. lmmfao.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

HAHAH, It doesnt matter to me, I know like the big and little dippers and orion, thats about it. If you get lost and cant use the stars to navigate, you can now just call someone from your cell or use GPS, because youll have service wherever youre lost at. And, I mean, you can still see the sun. east and west is enough to figure it out. hahahah.

moss grows on the north side of trees, right, or follow a river or some shit? lmmfao.

Edited by Draxxon

I downloaded the updates to my FBX and everything seems to be working for me.  So much content now it's hard to say there aren't issues but everything I tried works.  BASIC games don't seem to take a LLLOOONNNGGG! time to load.  As someone who use to load many a game off cassette back in the day they seem to be faster than floppy drives of the day.

Excellent job to all involved.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I downloaded the updates to my FBX and everything seems to be working for me.  So much content now it's hard to say there aren't issues but everything I tried works.  BASIC games don't seem to take a LLLOOONNNGGG! time to load.  As someone who use to load many a game off cassette back in the day they seem to be faster than floppy drives of the day.

Excellent job to all involved.

Thanks for the feedback!

I will change LLLLOOOONNNG!!! time to load, to "A Hot Second To Load". I assumed they took as long as the cassettes from back in tha day. I only tested a few, and, I'm happy to hear someone is enjoying them. That's also the first I've heard someone commenting on the goofy stuff I sprinkled around the NEXUS descriptions. LOL. Thank you again!! I appreciate you.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

So I erased my flash for the 3rd time and re-download NEXUS 5.1 and used 3 different 0.1.9 cfw's and still just keeps going back the game selection screen.

Also I tried using versions NEXUS v3, v3.1, v4.4, and 5.1 and none of them seem to work, just going back to the game selection screen.

Either my X Deluxe is corrupted somehow and won't run NEXUS, or I am just too stupid to figure this out.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY VERSION CONFIRMED RUNNING A X DELUXE?

I really want to get more involved with NEXUS but I need it working!

EDIT

I even tried running it on 0.18 standard fw also and still didn't work.

Edited by MrFister

im downloading it now, Ill put it on a fresh flashdrive and sd card and try it on the X and 9 I have here.

EDIT:
WOW, Still had time to edit, so, under an hour? I just DLed v5.1 and the two updates and put them on a formatted flashdrive and a formatted sd card. Everything works.

I couldnt tell much difference in the two systems, I tried Asteroids, Penult, Pinball RotG, Bubble Bobble and Dig Dug a800. No missing sprites, stella 6.1 is the same, Mame button swaps saved, I have no clue. We went through everything this time before release. I played with it all weekend before I uploaded it. :( 

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

List of AFB NEXUS V.0.5.3 Extensions

.26a  - Stella 6 - Atari 2600 games. LFB Retroplayer.
.a26  - Stella 3 - Atari 2600 games. AFB9 Retroplayer.
.a269 - Stella 3 - Atari 2600 games. AFB9 Retroplayer.
.a26l - Stella 3 - Atari 2600 games. LFX Retroplayer. (<------ TYPO?) 
.a26x - Stella 3 - Atari 2600 games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.a52  - A800 - Atari 5200 games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.a78  - ProSystem - Atari 7800 games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.atr  - A800 - Atari 800 floppy disk games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.bas  - A800 - Atari BASIC games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.bin  - PicoDrive - Sega Genesis / MegaDrive games. AFB9 Retroplayer.
.car  - A800 - Atari 800 catridge games. AFBX Retroplayer

.cmd - System command. Clear Recent List, Reboot, Shutdown & Restore Custom Bezels.
.cv   - CoolMSX - ColecoVision games (No Super Game Module support). LFB Retroplayer.
.fds  - Nestopia - Famicom Disk System games. LFB Retroplayer.
.gb   - MGBA - Gameboy games. LFB Retroplater.
.gbc  - MGBA - Gameboy Color games. LFB Retroplayer.
.goto - Takes you to another game library.
.gme  - A 2nd Extension. It allows you to play any ROM type from the /game folder.
.lnx  - Handy - Atari Lynx games. LFB Retroplayer.
.mgw  - G&W - Nintendo Game & Watch / LCD games. LFB Retroplayer.
.nes  - Quickness - Nintendo / Famicom games. AFB9 Retroplayer.
.nesl - Quickness - Nintendo / Famicom games. LFB Retroplayer.
.ody  - O2EM - Magnavox Odyssey2 games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.pce  - MednafenPCE (fast) - TruboGrafx-16 & PC Engine games. LFB Retroplayer.
.xex  - A800 - A800 Executable games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.zi3  - MAME2003-Plus (xtreme) - Arcade games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.zim  - MAME2000 - Arcade games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.zim9 - MAME2000 - Arcade games. AFB9 Retroplayer.
.ziml - MAME2000 - Arcade games. LFB Retroplayer.
.zin  - FinalBurnNEO - Arcade/NeoGeo games. LFB Retroplayer.
.zip  - FinalBurnALPHA - Arcade/NeoGeo games. AFBX Retroplayer.
.*    - GenPlusGX - Sega SG-1000, Master System, MegaDrive, Genesis, Mega-CD,
         Sega-CD and GameGear games. Includes .sg, .sms, .md, .gen, .iso, .chd, .gg & .sgg.

AFB9 Retroplayer.

I went through it and everything works. the only thing i see is we have .a26l set to

use the AFBX Retroplayer?? I think that is a small mistake that wouldn't break anything.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFister said:

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY VERSION CONFIRMED RUNNING A X DELUXE?

Mine is a deluxe.  I downloaded 5.1 last night and played a few games - all was OK for me.  I have applied your deluxe FW and have the latest overclock on top of that.  I always completely erase or format the thumb drive (FAT32), and extract all the folders directly to the root of the thumbdrive.   It is taking a loong time these days.  ?

Once in a blue moon - seems like more if I go straight to USB entry and am launching files from the /game folder - I boot into a state where Nexus won't launch a game.  BTW, this happens more often specifically with my oldest crustiest thumb drive - which I rarely ever use.  However, I just select the restart device entry and it is better.

If it is just barely pausing the music and continuing without even blanking the screen, that is what I usually see if the filename has spaces or the name of the rom file was typo'd in the all-games.ini.  Like it is not able to even find the game.   If it is blanking then waiting a few seconds to come back,  it seems like what I see when an emulator is not happy with a specific rom - I mean the retroplayer tries to load the content with the specified core, but the core can't interpret the rom.  I saw a LOT of that experimenting with mame2010.

One thing you can do - edit the runcommand and un-comment the line:

echo "command with $# arguments was: $0 $1 $2" >${dev}/command.txt

Then boot it and attempt to run a couple of games - do you get a command.txt on the root of your thumb drive that reflects a game you tried?  If so, it is at least getting that far.  If not, the problem might be with the retromenu.run.  If you have Linux then you can run "sum -r retroplayer.run" to get a checksum of the file and I will compare.    You could do the same with some specific game file.

30 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

we have .a26l set to use the AFBX Retroplayer??

That's a screw-up in something I sent you - meant to be retroplayer.l for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not seen the black screen of death where you have to reboot switch before you can load another game in a very long time. I play a fair amount of games in one sitting and I jump from folder to folder a lot. not so much a lot of games in a single folder or /game. I wondered if the goto's were helping???

Edited by Draxxon