IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

7 hours ago, Draxxon said:

That's where it came from, LOL. Even GB Advance is running on hacked LFBs currently.

@rocketfan, there has been a lot more talk of LFBs lately. I think its time.

#LFBUltimate

I feel like its also time to make a dedicated thread to NEXUS and ULTIMATE.

Yes! Please do it! I'm very lost right now I really want to get nexus to work on my legends flashback 

OK, here's the point I'm at. Have the Flashback X Deluxe with hole on the bottom. Got my Y cord today. Installed new firmware (it's listed as 1.1.8). Installed newer new firmware with 3 different clock speeds for menus, Atari games, and other games. Installed (afaik) Nexus 5.1.

Suddenly I have music in the background, including some Pac-Man sounds. I have the regular menu, and the option of Ext. USB Drive. On the USB drive, instead of seeing lots of games, I see 7, all with the extension of .zim.

Any idea what's going on?

At this point I really hate my life. All of my USB 3 thumb drives are 64 GB or 128 GB, which means they can only be formatted exfat, which might be why things are not showing up for NEXUS, maybe. I have a 16 GB thumb drive, but it's only UBS 2.

So I may have to wait a couple more days to get yet another thumb drive in the mail to be able to get things working ... dangit!

58 minutes ago, Batchman said:

...Flashback X Deluxe... ...Installed new firmware... ...1.1.8...

The standard AFBX has a FW# V.0.1.18
The Legends Flashback 2 Deluxe has a FW# V.0.1.8

You need AFBXD FW# V.0.1.5 - V.0.1.9

I have no idea what you flashed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

v.0.1.9 (Deluxe version) Custom Firmware for running files from the usb drive built off of v.0.1.9 by MrFister and Brad from the 80s.

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=815243

overclock by Rocketfan (Dynamic CPU 1.2Ghz, GPU 400Mhz)

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=836128

0.1.9.img

Edited by Draxxon

5 minutes ago, Batchman said:

Well, it still says I have Atari Age Custom firmware 0.1.18, but using the 2.0 USB disk, NEXUS is now showing up, though I have not yet played any games. That is the next step. I'll report back after a bit of testing.

It says that in your about screen with no USB stick inserted or it says it in the nexus? a 2.0 USB will work to run the NEXUS, its just slow and likes to hang up in menus. USB 2.0 IS DEFF NOT GOOD FOR FLASHING UPDATE IMAGES.

look at the stock about screen. Don't worry what the nexus says, we could make that say anything.

Edited by Draxxon

OK, on the about screen, without a thumb drive inserted, it says it is firmware version AR3060s_v0.1.5

I have tried several games so far on the NEXUS disk, running it on USB 2.0, and so far everything has worked fine ... to an extent.

I went into the Legends Flashback Deluxe, not knowing what I would find, and found Astro Blaster there, a game which I asked about including, and was very happy you were willing to include it. And I found three issues with it that I am reporting ... the screen is distorted (it was a vertical game, and here it is stretched to be horizontal), secondly, there is no sound. Finally, there was an original discussion to activate the warp function by pulling up or pushing back on the joystick (I think back (ie down) would be better, but that might not have been what I thought when asking a month or two ago), but neither activates warp.

This may be a case of the particular versions of MAME supported on the Flashback can't handle things, I don't know ... the mere fact that this little unit can do all these things is amazing to me in the first place ... but just in case, I thought I would mention these issues. This is NOT a complaint ... I'm very happy to have access to all this!

Ok good, you didnt flash the wrong firmware. thats a relief!

I'll look into atroblaster, and see what i can do, we added that early on. I think FBAlpha stretches the screen and doesnt allow button remapping, I'll see if I can get it running with MAME, if thats the case.

There are alot of games and Im sure they need tweaked on a per game basis, If you run into any other issues, let us know! I'm glad you got it sorted. 

OK, reporting on games I know at all, from the arcade list ... Astro Fighter, no sound, seems stretched. Bag-Man seems fine. Sounds works, not stretched, everything looks great. Berzerk, doesn't look stretched, but no sound. Burger Time seems perfect. Congo Bongo seems perfect, afaik. Dig Dug seems stretched somehow, but works fine, has proper sound, and plays quite decently with an Atari 2600 Joystick. Same for Dig Dug II. Donkey Kong is great, and again seems play pretty well with the 2600 joystick. Elevator Action seems slightly large, but works, has sound, and is certainly playable. Galaga works perfectly, which is great since I can't get it to play on my Legends Gamer Pro! Yippee! Joust is NES version, not arcade version, but it seems to work decently. Jungle Hunt and Jungle King seem slightly stretched, but work just fine. Kick I believe was a trackball game, and playing it with a joystick, you can't really cross the screen quickly enough to get balloons from the far side of the screen, so I don't know how well it actually works on here. Maybe if paddles worked? Ladybug is fine.

The Mister Do games all seem to be a little stretched, but have sound and play all right. The various Pac-Man games seem larger than they should be, but they don't look distorted, and they play fine. Phoenix, the other game that I requested, the shield isn't mapped, but the sound is fine. (The game boots into the MAME controls menu, but it won't allow you to select something to map to the button for some reason.) It doesn't matter to me much, because I never use the shield anyway, but just reporting the information. Popeye is the NES version, not the arcade version. QBert is fine, except for being hard to keep on the diagonals, which is always going to be a problem with QBert. Qix, the first version is the arcade version, but I can't seem to do anything with it because anytime I push up and hold down the button, which you have to do to draw fast, the configuration menu pops up and blocks the screen and you get killed. The second one is the Nintendo version.  And that's all my play testing for tonight.

Just got my second vaccine shot today, and it kind of leaves you tired.

53 minutes ago, Batchman said:

Phoenix, the other game that I requested, the shield isn't mapped,

Hi, when you enter the game (or press rewind to enter the mame menu later) you should be able to go in Controls(This game), then go down to P1 Button 2, press the fire button to start the remap, then pull down on the joystick.  After about a second or two the "JS 3" will show up and then you can go down to "return to main menu", then return to game.  Then in the game, pull down for shield should work.

A similar approach works well for the Bubble Bobble jump - press up on joystick, or for the Shield in Satan's Hollow.  Probably 95% of the Arcade/LFB games in Nexus are truly just one-buttoners though, so no remap required.

On the Astro Fighter sound - sometimes - even often - it's a mame version thing, and some games did not get sound until much later mame versions than we have.  Like Spiders is silent, but it is expected with the earlier mame versions.  It's kind of hard to find info. on when exactly different games got working sound, BTW.  And if anyone knows how, I would love to know!

PS - Phoenix really is a classic, the sound/music/movement are all kind of unique.  2600 Phoenix is a pretty great version also.

Edited by rocketfan

12 hours ago, Draxxon said:

It says that in your about screen with no USB stick inserted or it says it in the nexus? a 2.0 USB will work to run the NEXUS, its just slow and likes to hang up in menus. USB 2.0 IS DEFF NOT GOOD FOR FLASHING UPDATE IMAGES.

look at the stock about screen. Don't worry what the nexus says, we could make that say anything.

OK, this may be what you edited, because I didn't remember seeing it at first. When I did the firmware updates I was using the 64 GB thumbdrive that was exfat32 formatted USB 3.0, and the firmware updates worked fine, but it would not show any of the NEXUS stuff ... perhaps because the firmware was a disk image. BUT ... back on my AFB 9, I was always using a 2.0 USB, maybe that was why things seemed to work kind of intermittently. Anyway, yes, things are a little slow running the NEXUS off the 2.0, but everything seems to work.

8 hours ago, rocketfan said:

Hi, when you enter the game (or press rewind to enter the mame menu later) you should be able to go in Controls(This game), then go down to P1 Button 2, press the fire button to start the remap, then pull down on the joystick.  After about a second or two the "JS 3" will show up and then you can go down to "return to main menu", then return to game.  Then in the game, pull down for shield should work.

OK, so I did not realize I needed to hold it for several seconds to get it to register ... will have to try gain later this morning and see if I can get that working. Thank you.

8 hours ago, rocketfan said:

PS - Phoenix really is a classic, the sound/music/movement are all kind of unique.  2600 Phoenix is a pretty great version also.

Agreed!

There are games that need key mapped or completely cut out of the NEXUS because they are unplayable with the atari joystick across the board. I only remapped the games that I knew needed it. If it doesn't occur to me, I can't fix it. Thanks for testing all those, Batch, It really, really helps! About stretched screens, I cant remember which does what but between MAME2000, 2003, FBAlpha and Neo... each one has quirks. I want to say FBA Stretches the vertical monitor games, and only MAME lets you config buttons. There may be core settings that can be set for some of those that will force the screen size. I'll look into it. Lynx, A800, 7800, G&W, Arcade, Im guessing all those categories have games that need attention.

Popeye should have the NES version and the Arcade version available. I looked for a long time to find a working Popeye arcade (the "bootleg" version works - popeyebl). Its in the Atari Arcade folder. I know that Black Widow and Cloak and Dagger are 2 joystick games that i couldnt figure out how to map, I didnt try too hard TBH. Atari arcade game Destroyer got added and didnt get mapped. The G&W games are so different from one to the other, they all need tested and button mapped if possible. Same thing with the "other than 2600" atari categories. If I tested every lynx, 800 and 7800 game looking for compatible games, it would take forever. This way everyone can test them and report back. And they can get dropped into the LFB, which WILL play all the games we eventually cut. So there really is no wasted time on my end.

Something else that was noticed is if you are exiting a game that is running with the LFB retroplayer, you have to hold menu for a half a second and then release it to exit. I also think if you hold R+Start it lets you button remap per the LFB menu, but you will get stuck because there arent enough buttons to map the LFB controller, and youll never finish mapping buttons. If something is running with FBA and not MAME (stretched, no config) its probably because it doesnt have a working mame version. If its running with the LFB retroplayer its because the core needs it or the games need key mapped. We are shoehorning everything in there, and there are pros and cons.

Edited by Draxxon

@Draxxon

Well I managed to get NEXUS working finally!

It could have been 1 or 2 things, or both. 

First it was 2 corrupt downloads in which I didn't even get a startup.sh file in either.

Also my thumb drive was formatted to fat32, but my partition layout was gpt and not mbr.  

So I have it running and I am enjoying what I have checked out so far!

Stll having issues with bezel restore not working, but I keep getting the command.err.txt stating it was restore.

Edited by MrFister
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFister said:

Stll having issues with bezel restore not working, but I keep getting the command.err.txt stating it was restore.

I think that indicates the rom name for the command in the all-games.ini has an extra character.  It may not be space but rather some unprintable char that you are not seeing in your editor of choice.  I would delete the line and re-type it.  You can change it to some completely different string and make sure it is coming through fully via command.txt before proceeding.

I was wondering, can this use different cores, I managed to change the core on the Genesis FB 2018 by over mounting the file with mount blind and getting it to read the one on the sd card so I could change the core without having to flash it every time, if I wanted to change cores, all I do now is change the main_core.so file on the SD card instead so I put the SD card into my PC and then I make a copy of the 1_genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so or 2_picodrive_libretro.so cores and then rename it to main_core.so that in the emulator_core folder on the SD card and copying over the one already to change it, works fine.

Edited by Spanner

Rocketfan added a runcommand wrapper that lets you add as many cores as you want. You dont have to do the old swap method anymore (which limited your number of cores and had you running to the PC to make changes). And he went way beyond that. You can run cores with different retroplayers, and you can run individual roms with different combinations.

We already added Gen+GX AND Picodrive core, and many others. He even posted a link to prebuilt cores. Which, youre in luck because, thats what I just came online to get:

latest - buildbot.libretro.com > nightly > linux > armv7-neon-hf > latest

Edited by Draxxon

I just added them as examples. I doubt I will add every game possible with box art to this pack, but I figure if the core is there, users can add what they want to the /game folder. Those games start with the letter A, I just looked real quick to find something I thought might work. I did have to swap the buttons. Asteroids GBA didnt have a teleport or shields or whatever by pressing down, Im guessing its the other button or a shoulder button. So, I don't think they are perfect, but they are good examples if someone wanted to add something.

It was satisfying to see the gameboy *ding, bios screens come up on these. I'm glad they are in there and I hope some decent one button games pop up.

Also, the 4 OTG cables came today. I have 3 left. Now is the time to let me know if you need a new one for NEXUS. PM me.

Edited by Draxxon

7 hours ago, rocketfan said:

I think that indicates the rom name for the command in the all-games.ini has an extra character.  It may not be space but rather some unprintable char that you are not seeing in your editor of choice.  I would delete the line and re-type it.  You can change it to some completely different string and make sure it is coming through fully via command.txt before proceeding.

I re-typed the line twice and now all I get both times is a empty retroplayer.ini in data folder.

Also, I no longer get the command_err.txt either.