IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

You shouldn't have to hold the button down but for a second or two.

I had a similar problem on my windows 10 machine. I can't remember what the specific issue was but it was driver related. I think windows 10 was blocking it.

I then tried it on an older PC I had and it all worked. I never figured out what the problem was but I know people have gotten it to work with windows 10. So, I just don't know. Did you install the drivers to your PC?

driver_assitant.rar

Edited by Draxxon

I had purchased my Atari Flashback X from Amazon a couple of days ago and when I checked the "About section of the Atari Flashback X menu which has the two QR codes, the place where it would show the UID instead says "UID IS NOT AVAILABLE". What does this mean? Is my Atari Flashback X counterfeit/pirated or was it an error on AtGames' part. I hope that AtGames releases another firmware update to fix this problem if it is the latter.

I'm surprised it was only one. However there is a set of art (0NoArt.a26.png & 0NoArt.a26.s.png) that says "Atari Flashback Classic" that I included if someone wanted to add games and didnt have any box art, so maybe you're refering to that. I'm at 1100 games now. I know there are a couple issues yet with the new pack. I need to sort the rom folder and look for mistakes before I release it. Mostly added noteworthy homebrews, the stuff that was unique in the South American FB9 pack and the EURO FBX pack. All the Good Deal Games that I could find were added. I also revamped a lot of the artwork. Removed borders, adjusted levels in the remaining washed out box art, translated the foreign games titles and just generally touched everything up. I also found a few official box arts and could swap out the generic home made art. It looks a lot better now.

I should also mention, I have a usb 3.0 sandisk flashdrive. It takes about 30 seconds to boot all the games up now when you power it on. I'm guessing the system is loading all the boxart thumbnails. I'm not sure what everyone is willing to wait at power on, so I'm not sure how many games should be added in the future. I would be interested to know how long it takes a 2.0 device or an SDCard with adapter. Also curious how long it takes to load up on an AFB9.

On a side note, I added some games from the South American pack, like Galagon and Mappy, but those games don't work on the FBX. I'm not sure why he added them to his pack, maybe they work on the FB9? I have no clue as I gifted my FB9. At any rate, the next step is to start working on the all-games.ini file and adding game descriptions. And, all the games need to be tested for compatibility. So some of these games may get removed in the next update. To be frank, I don't know why they were added to the other pack or if there is a way to get them to work that I don't know about at this point. Feedback and help from you guys is where I'm at.

Edited by Draxxon

The following content is in Portuguese, proceed only if you understand what is next..

1060 jogos com arquivo all-games.ini em português.

Arquivos para facilitar a criação do seu all-games.ini personalisado.
all-games(Full_1060_jogos).ini - Todos os 1060 jogos disponíveis.
Official(462_jogos).ini - 462 jogos considerados de lançamento oficial para o Atari 2600.
Flashback(24_jogos).ini - 24 jogos entre homebrew, prototype e exclusivos lançados nas versões do Atari Flashback.
Prototype(92_jogos).ini - 92 jogos que não foram oficialmente lançados pelas empresas desenvolvedoras. Estes jogos podem ter sido terminados ou estarem em fase inicial de desenvolvimento.
Homebrew(139_jogos).ini - 139 jogos desenvolvidos por fãs do Atari 2600.
Hack(13_jogos).ini - 13 jogos hack.
Dispensable(60_jogos).ini - 60 jogos entre Homebrew e Hack que provavelmente não lhe farão falta.
Clones(76_jogos).ini - 76 jogos que foram lançados com nomes diferentes, provavelmente não lhe farão falta.
For_Stella_6(4_jogos) - 4 jogos que requerem Stella 6 ou superior, lembrando que a versão do Stella utilizada no Flashback é a 3.9.
Trash(160_jogos) - 160 jogos entre Homebrew e Hack que não lhe farão falta, muitos nem foram finalizados e outros tantos Hacks de Adventure, DK...
XXX(20_jogos).ini - 20 jogos adulto com conteúdo erótico.
Utility_Misc(10_jogos).ini - 10 diversos como programas utilitários. Não fazem sentido em emulador.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CabNLr6jYoxz-c2n23H4EJoZhR9HyE2v?usp=sharing

Does anyone's Frogger Arcade not work at all?  When I press fire to play, the screen goes black then reverts back to the game description screen.

The 2600 version is ok, Official Sega (StarPath) is ok.

I know that the Frogger Arcade ROM is the version that comes loaded with the FBX (called Frogger), so I tried removing the usb and it worked fine that way. Weird how I can't play it from USB!?

3 hours ago, wilfwilfus said:

Does anyone's Frogger Arcade not work at all?  When I press fire to play, the screen goes black then reverts back to the game description screen.

The 2600 version is ok, Official Sega (StarPath) is ok.

I know that the Frogger Arcade ROM is the version that comes loaded with the FBX (called Frogger), so I tried removing the usb and it worked fine that way. Weird how I can't play it from USB!?

For me it works well, I already had this type of problem with some brands of pendrive, now using SanDisk everything is working properly. Another possibility is that the file has been corrupted in the copy.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:54 PM, Draxxon said:

Step 2: put the "mount_sd" file on the device, insert and power on system. it should take a while. IF YOU HAVE A USB 2.0 device it will take a very long time. let is sit on the main menu and go do something else for 10 mins. sometimes ive found launching a game and playing for a few minutes triggers the control files and works. USB 3.0 seems to not have these issues from my testing. Anyways this generates the "rom" folder. all the files should be inside and not corrupt. you should be able to see all the box art images and roms and whatnot. the "all-games.ini" file is inside here also. leave the "mount_sd" file on your device permanently.

Step 3: put the "startup.sh" file on your device, power system on and let it sit. again, launch a game and play a few minutes. this will dump the "emulator" folder. Inside the "emulator" folder is other folders where you will find the music the emulator core, the UI elements etc. leave the "startup.sh" file on your device permanently. Not all of the UI elements are editable. some that you will find and edit will have no in game effect because they are hardcoded. the default bezel_00 (no bezel) is an example. 

My built in roms disappeared from the list. i only get invisible boxes no outline or anything and entering them causes the console to return to menu. Is a bug or is it my fault?

@mamebr Why would you just strip out all the thumbnails I take hours to create only to stretch them all out and add borders and re-release. Would it be too much to ask that you create your own box art for titles with missing art? It's very frustrating. 

Edited by Draxxon

6 minutes ago, Flamore said:

My built in roms disappeared from the list. i only get invisible boxes no outline or anything and entering them causes the console to return to menu. Is a bug or is it my fault?

You didn't wait long enough for all the data to dump.

42 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

@mamebr Por que você tirou todas as miniaturas que levo horas para criar, apenas para esticá-las e adicionar bordas e relançar? Seria pedir muito para você criar sua própria arte de caixa para títulos com arte faltando? É muito frustrante. 

I use it the same way you used mine a lot and for recognizing your talent for creation (except when you use silver box for games that were not developed by Atari, this is a personal opinion). However, if that bothers you, just specify which images are your own and I will be happy to replace them.
The ones I created, if there are still any in your collection, you can continue using it without any problems.
In the past you once said to me: "Its just transparent internet strategy on your part, I've seen this crap a million times. Also, I'm way better at it.".
So this is the last time I answer you.

Remembering my English is terrible, I use google translator, without patience for vanity discussions.

I definitely wouldn't say I use your images a lot, as most are stretched and scrunched, or have "prototype" pasted over them.

I mean, it's clear that your stripping everything from my packs and just adding borders. there are very few official box arts you found and added.

there are many, many I created. 100+ maybe. I don't feel like listing them all. 15 racing, acid fish, adventure enhanced, black, hot air balloon, 6 dragons, arctic landtran, blah blah blah. plus I have touched them all up pixel by pixel. hundreds and hundreds of them.

My problem now is, I don't feel like sharing anymore packs because your just biting off of my work. literally just cropping and stretching stuff and adding borders.

I'm seriously trying to be civil. I know I don't own this art and once I post it anyone can bite off of it, but I spend hours and hours a day touching stuff up. And then having someone just strip it all out just to repost it is super frustrating.

Edited by Draxxon

mamebr once said to me: "This will reach 6000 games. Additions to games that already exist with their real name and not even own boxart, creations using Atari boxart for games that were never Atari. I find time lost and very ugly.

I understand creating boxart for official games that don't have real art available, for pirate games I can't understand.

I'm going in the opposite direction, removing all pirates without original art. Redoing all Atari art being used for non-company games. "

This is what kills me the most. The last time we spoke you said this, but you didn't do any of that and just kept on copy/pasting+borders. Its not a huge deal, but, we already went thru all this in the old thread. If you're going to continue to use my stuff, just give me a "thanks" or something, dude. lets keep it civil for the rest of the folks here.

About the silver boxes, some I never created. Also there are many games with no box art, sometimes I use a telegames template, sometimes I use the cooper black "new" box, sometimes its the silver Atari box, just to mix it up. When I keep talking about your pack, and the cropping and stretching here is an example:

this is a silver Atari box art for a game that's not Atari. I didn't create this box art, its a googled image. the other is one I suspect you edited. I personally prefer the orginal one that is someone elses art, than a cropped stretched one.

SpaceTreatDeluxe.a26.s.png

Space_Treat_Deluxe_(Homebrew).a26.s.png

Edited by Draxxon

I will not proceed with this discussion, it is enough what happened in the other topic.
Anyone who judges whether there is plagiarism, just check the all-games.ini files for each collection.
I have already made myself ready to change any art that is of his creation, if any was used it was because at some point it was authorized.
The absolute majority just type the name of the game on google and the art is there, the ones that are not mostly home games that were never finished and in my collection are in the Trash block.
If the art box in my collection is stretched, with a border ... this is my taste and use whoever wants it, I already notice that it is for the Portuguese speaking public, since all the information in all-games.ini is in Portuguese.
Let's be civil in not polluting the topic, any problem just send PM.

yeah, you always say your done talking. But, I'm not filpping out. I'm frustrated is all, man. I don't think its "plagiarism" I cut and pasted a lot of peoples 70s sci fi art in this current pack im working on. I don't "own" any of these images. 

I would PM you if I could, it says your not accepting pms. we talked about that before.

while its true, you can "just google" for the box arts, that's not all there is to it. you need to make two images. you have to rename and resize them all. I adjust the black and white levels, hue and color saturation. if they are crooked, I rotate them, if they are off centered or something I fix them. if the box was damaged and shows in the scan, I touch it up, if the edges are fucked, I touch them up, if its washed out and faded, I fix it. If its blurry, I sharpen it, if the background color isn't uniform, I strip it out and fill it solid. ill remake text, ill remake missing parts, if anything is fucked up I retouch it pixel by pixel with the pencil!! I mean, I spent so many weeks on this stuff its unreal. Some stuff I made like "dojo tournament" I really like. some stuff like "A duck game" sucks. "Harbor rescue" is like hard to spot as a homebrew, I like that box. "I love bacon" is a pig eating bacon, "I. lowercase I" is Ms. I from the Letter People, I had them in Kindergarden. Bottom line, every single box art I just fabricated for fun, shows up in your list. There are so, so many. You stripped EVERYTHING unique from the last pack, again, I thought we were going our own directions, I didn't strip out of your 960 game pack in the AFB9 thread, now did I? Now imagine how I must feel, knowing that if I spend more hours and hours on stuff and post it, you'll repost it all. So, why would I share anymore packs?

I think its awesome that you adapted the games list for Brazil and South America, that is truly epic. The descriptions you add to the games is superb and your knowledge of Atari is greater than mine. The images however are mostly ones I processed. I know that, and you know that. A simple "Thanks Draxxon for art" would have went a long way with me.

Edited by Draxxon