IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

13 minutes ago, gutter said:

ok just an update after much messing around found out the otg was not powering on fast enough so the console would load before it could read the usb so new otg and bam all works fine, thought i was losing it for a minute there thanks for the help

Always glad to hear people get it sorted out. I hope you enjoy it.

• 4 months later...

I couldnt get do it works on AFBX;.

1 - Update flashing ar3060_1015 using AndroidTool (Done)

2 - Update using the same method above Custom Firmware AR3060_CFW Done. System working.

3 - Format a pendrive 2.0 to FAT32 and MBR. Copy Mount_sd and startup.sh to the pendrive and plug it in the OTG cable connected to AFBX; turn on AFBX, dont boot. Shows ATGAmes Logo and then stuck in a black screen with various options, Reboot System Now, Reboot to Bootloader, Apply Updae from ADB, Apply Update from SD card, Wipe Data/factory reset, Wipe Cache Partition, Mount/System, View Recovery Logs, Graphics Test, Power Off. Nothing Works. Remove the pendrive, AFBX works again.
What I´ve done wrong?

Edited by vieiraandre

22 hours ago, vieiraandre said:

I couldnt get do it works on AFBX;.

1 - Update flashing ar3060_1015 using AndroidTool (Done)

2 - Update using the same method above Custom Firmware AR3060_CFW Done. System working.

3 - Format a pendrive 2.0 to FAT32 and MBR. Copy Mount_sd and startup.sh to the pendrive and plug it in the OTG cable connected to AFBX; turn on AFBX, dont boot. Shows ATGAmes Logo and then stuck in a black screen with various options, Reboot System Now, Reboot to Bootloader, Apply Updae from ADB, Apply Update from SD card, Wipe Data/factory reset, Wipe Cache Partition, Mount/System, View Recovery Logs, Graphics Test, Power Off. Nothing Works. Remove the pendrive, AFBX works again.
What I´ve done wrong?

Update.

I got to update CFW Firmware. I just updated 1018 offical firmware first.

Edited by vieiraandre

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello from Germany! :) This is my first post. I'm in trouble. I was lucky to get the Flashback X second hand. It's in a good condition but the firmware was 0.1.9. I ordered an OTG Cable on ebay and updated with the newest firmware, 0.1.18. So I thought this would be enough to get OTG and USB-Support. The new firmware works fine but when I plug in the OTG Cable there is only a black screen. It seems that there is power on the system but it doesn't boot. My first suspicious is the cable. It doesn't work with an old windows tablet either. But that could be a driver problem. The tablet is very old (2014/15). So I think about returning the cable. Now my questions...

Is it possible that the first boot process with OTG is extremely long - even without a USB stick plugged in?

Can anyone give me a name of or a link to an OTG cable that works fine with the Flashback?

Are there known problems concerning OTG Support with the original firmware and - if it is so - is the CFW an option to have a better OTG Support?

Sorry for having so much questions. I'm thankful for every hint or comment on this topic. Thanks in advance. 😏

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 10:27 PM, Draxxon said:

First off i want to say thank you to you and everyone who worked your butts off creating something awesome. So my question is it looks like you went from atariv2.1 to atariv3 and atari v3.1… so in 2.1 you appear to have 985 atari roms in the rom folder. In v3 you appear to have 1003. However in v3.1 you appear to have 985 games like in v2.1. Is there extra games in v3? And if so can i just edit the 2.1 set to have all of them and all in one folder and not split? I only want atari games so nexus and other system roms mean nothing to me. I assume i have to edit the all games file and obviously add roms and images to fix that? And i know 985 and 1003 isnt what actually displays on the system. I assume there are a few other files that are in the a.26 format

Edited by pimpmaul69

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 6:00 PM, Pac-Man Senior said:

Hello from Germany! :) This is my first post. I'm in trouble. I was lucky to get the Flashback X second hand. It's in a good condition but the firmware was 0.1.9. I ordered an OTG Cable on ebay and updated with the newest firmware, 0.1.18. So I thought this would be enough to get OTG and USB-Support. The new firmware works fine but when I plug in the OTG Cable there is only a black screen. It seems that there is power on the system but it doesn't boot. My first suspicious is the cable. It doesn't work with an old windows tablet either. But that could be a driver problem. The tablet is very old (2014/15). So I think about returning the cable. Now my questions...

Is it possible that the first boot process with OTG is extremely long - even without a USB stick plugged in?

Can anyone give me a name of or a link to an OTG cable that works fine with the Flashback?

Are there known problems concerning OTG Support with the original firmware and - if it is so - is the CFW an option to have a better OTG Support?

Sorry for having so much questions. I'm thankful for every hint or comment on this topic. Thanks in advance. 😏

If anybody is interested: It was the (wrong) OTG Cable. The second one works fine. It is from "Hemobllo". I saw it sold out on amazon.fr. A few days later it was available on amazon.de. Three weeks later I got it - finally. And now I can run my favorite ROMs on the Flashback X. I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 5:32 PM, sir thierry said:

Hello, I just bought a Flashback 9 hdmi to test the nexus and why not help. But what is the latest version? and can we still find it? thank you.

Late reply, but there is a version still available.  It is discussed over in this thread:

Edited by rocketfan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, this might sound dumb but I was wondering if I’m able to upgrade the firmware of my flashback x with a Chromebook instead of a PC? We just don’t have a Pc at my house but we have mad Chromebooks lol. I have everything else needed like the otg cable and flash drive. Firmware version is 0.1.9

On 12/17/2022 at 10:02 PM, Gwoogy55 said:

Hey, this might sound dumb but I was wondering if I’m able to upgrade the firmware of my flashback x with a Chromebook instead of a PC? We just don’t have a Pc at my house but we have mad Chromebooks lol. I have everything else needed like the otg cable and flash drive. Firmware version is 0.1.9

Well, now I’m having different problems. So I went to my local library which had PCs and I went about upgrading the firmware to accept usb, I downloaded the android tools and drivers (driverass.v.4.8 and android tool 2.69) by just bypassing the protection message it kept sending me, and the first time around I wasn’t getting a loader device detected cause of a faulty usb cord so I switched it out and would get a detected loader device, but when I pressed upgrade firmware there was nothing there and kept showing an error titled “firmware not loaded” I’m at my wits end with this damn device I just want to play Mario bros. What am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

hi there ,what i can tell you is that the 50th FB Gold works out of box. Tested with 30+ Roms. Play around with the names a little if won't start !

you need an OTG micro to A  USB female with power thru cable, Stick format FAT32

it will load *.26 files . No pictures or manual ,but it works without hack ! Firmware V1.0.0 PAL device 

not more than 12 digits as name and close the space in the files names e.g. not Donkey Kong.a26 wrong /  DonkeyKong.a26 is right 

hope this helps you to get it running

i do not want custom Firmware, only a few more favorite Roms loading 

greeting Zaxxon-HH

Edited by zaxxon-hh
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 7:41 PM, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Greetings Atari fans. 

I have had the standard Atari Flashback X sitting around here for a few weeks and finally got around to creating a custom firmware to allow you to load additional roms with boxart from USB (using USB OTG hub/cable and a USB drive of your choice).

The basic idea is the same as the firmware I created for using the SD card on the Flashback 9 series, see original thread here:

Attached here you will find a CFW version for the standard Atari Flashback X, and also one for the Atari Flashback X Deluxe.  The standard firmware has been tested a little, but I don't have a Deluxe model to test.  However it's the exact same hack, so I think it should work for those who need it.  If it does work for you then feel free to report back, or I can tweak as needed.

In the zip archive you will find an atari_update.img file.  You can follow the AtGames official firmware instructions to load this firmware image using the same desktop flashing tools.

HOWEVER, if you have applied at least one of the earlier firmware updates then this new CFW can be applied in a manner similar/same as for the Flashback 9.  Simply attach your USB drive with the atari_update.img file in the root and the system should detect the update and flash the same way it did for Flashback 9.  After successfully applying the firmware delete the atari_update.img file from your USB drive. 

As before, the customizations are activated by the presence of the "mount_sd.ini" file in the root of your USB drive (yeah, I didn't bother renaming it).  By default the custom firmware will dump the internal /rom partition from the device to your attached USB storage and then use the USB copy of /rom for game roms, box art and all-games.ini file. 

Also included is a sample startup.sh custom script you can include in your USB drive.  This script will also dump and run the /emulator partition from your USB drive.  This should allow for tweaking the artwork.

One tip, if you are using an old or slow USB thumb drive (like USB 2.0), you may need to wait a few minutes to allow write operations to complete when first allowing the CFW to dump files, so be patient.

I haven't messed with the Flashback X or this CFW much really.  it's simple enough, and I think it should work fine, but if you do find issues just report here and we'll see what can be done about it.

No warranties, use at your own risk, etc, etc.

Enjoy!

AR3060_CFW.zip 6.23 MB · 1,003 downloads AR3060S_Deluxe_CFW.zip 5.81 MB · 676 downloads

Hi guys, is it possible to update this firmware shown in this thread to run it on the newest system (AR 3080 - Atari Flashback Gold Special Edition) ? Would be great. Many thanks in adavance ! 

20 hours ago, oldlairdie said:

This looks like good news.... should it show my sd stick when I plug it in as an extra menu option or will it just add games to the existing list? Wondering if I might have a shit OTG cable as well

I just picked up one the 50th FB Gold units, and put in a FAT32 stick with a Games directory on the root, and .a26 files inside that directory.  It shows as 'Ext. USB Drive' on the main FB menu.

On another note - why the hell is the easy/hard functionality of the difficulty switches reversed on this thing?  😄

3 hours ago, remowilliams said:

I just picked up one the 50th FB Gold units, and put in a FAT32 stick with a Games directory on the root, and .a26 files inside that directory.  It shows as 'Ext. USB Drive' on the main FB menu.

On another note - why the hell is the easy/hard functionality of the difficulty switches reversed on this thing?  😄

I never changed the difficulty..... not that great on easy... lol

I don't know if I have the correct files on my stick, all the roms I left in a folder.... doesn't show ext USB on mine..... possibly I have wrong folders..... could you advise as to what I should have, appreciate any advice.... thanks

just to understand better: create a folder "Game" where you put the *.a26 files into 

'Ext. USB Drive' should come up on the main menu

remember close the gaps in the name ! Only max. 12 letters

if that does not work ,your Y Splitter cable does not work for that 

search for OTG Y Splitter Fire TV Stick 4k somthing like that 

greetings

Edited by zaxxon-hh
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 8:45 PM, zaxxon-hh said:

just to understand better: create a folder "Game" where you put the *.a26 files into 

'Ext. USB Drive' should come up on the main menu

remember close the gaps in the name ! Only max. 12 letters

if that does not work ,your Y Splitter cable does not work for that 

search for OTG Y Splitter Fire TV Stick 4k somthing like that 

greetings

thank you, file name was wrong, i now have over 90 game folders... 10 games in each, does anyone else have an issue with frogger arcade.... doesnt load and it is the one game i really wanted to play

2 hours ago, oldlairdie said:

thank you, file name was wrong, i now have over 90 game folders... 10 games in each, does anyone else have an issue with frogger arcade.... doesnt load and it is the one game i really wanted to play

Parker Brothers Frogger for the 2600?  Name the rom something other than Frogger.a26, mine's named FroggerPB.a26 and works.