IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

The Star Wars - Darth Vader Theme is finished. Multiple backgrounds, Flashback Gold elements, Imperial March BGM, its the most original theme so far. Inspiration came from the Atari 2600 all black "Vader" console.

"Dark Vader"

bkg_settings.png

emulator.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

The "Light Fiver" Atari 2600 Mini Theme got an overhaul. I applied everything I had learned making themes so far to it. I changed the background to a custom image. Its feels like its own thing now. I also am dropping the Stock theme here again.

"Light Fiver"
bkg_launcher.png

emulator.rar

"Stocklate Vanilla"

bkg_launcher.png

emulator.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

This is the last one. I ripped the emulator folder from the SEGA Genesis Flashback AtGames Firmware Update file (Unzipped it with 7zip) and ported over the Menu.

"Nega Drive"

bkg_launcher.png

emulator.rar

Here is everything. 9 Themes (emulator folders) to choose from. There were a few finishing touches added here and there. Thank You to KevinMos3 for his AFB9 Wood Themes and JayG1974 for the Atari 2600 Bezels. 

Theme_Pack_v2.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Here is a pack of game folders. These have all been renamed to work, side loaded the old way thru the SD Card or EXT. USB Drive side menu option.
Included is Frosted Froggies renamed AFB9/P/X 529 game pack, smokemonster's 603 game pack, 1G1R (one game one rom) pack 661, no-intro set 703, dataghost pack 756, Arenafoot's AFB Portable pack 1001, Atarimania Collection 1196 and a Hack & Homebrew pack of 3731.

You could combine the Atarimania pack and Homebrew pack for a 5700+ game folder if you wanted to, but don't go larger than that. Around 6~7000 games in the list and the console will fail to boot.

game_packs.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Guys...

So, I'm finally getting around to trying this, but having no luck.

I am using two units; one with the update from AtGames (it sees the 'Game' folder and shows up as 'Ext. USB Drive' on the main screen), and one without the update.  However, I can't get either one to take the 'atari_update.img'.  I put that file on the root of the SD card (the same one that has the 'Game' folder on it so I know it works), and when I boot either unit, I do not get a prompt to press left or right.  It just goes straight to the main menu on both units.

Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Thank you!

Bob

(It would be cool to put a 7800 emulator on here, being that it looks like we aren't getting a 7800 flashback any time soon, if ever).

On 5/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, PacManPlus said:

Actually, never mind; I think I'm just going to gut it and throw a Raspberry Pi Zero in it... This way everything is internal instead of having USB dongles hanging outside of it - much cleaner.

Come on people, nobody can help Bob?!  I would if I had the thing!  Still trying to get one at a reasonable price.  As for the 7800, I suppose you could have stuck that Pi in the first Flashback.

you would only be able to update via otg cable if you have already done the official at games update with the android tool and opening the system.

my guess is its a usb2.0 device and slow, try doing the update with a 3.0 device. or try the 2.0 device over and over until it works.

If its a 3.0 device, try a fresh update file download. make sure its named "atari_update.img" 

make sure its on the root of the device. make sure the device is plugged in before you power the system on.

Can the CFW be flashed to the system the hard way? (Opening it up and holding the recovery button and using the android tool?)

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

I had similar challenges when updating my FBX.  I lost all games and the system would not boot. I went back to this firmware to restore the games.  I then updated to the official firmware and then the cfw.  I had to open the unit and use the android tool for all these updates.

Hope this helps.

atari_update.img

• Thanks 1

Ok  - thank you - although I've made up my mind to put a Raspberry Pi zero in the thing.  I'm already making the bracket that I will 3D print to use for it.  It will be my 2600 Flashback.

Also, being that I have another RPi Zero, I found the Flashback 1 (the one that looks like a 7800) on eBay and I'll be putting the other RPi Zero in that for an *actual* 7800 Flashback.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

please share pictures when youre finished. also, im sure you can still use the art pack here with your project.
Ive had two people reach out and tell me they used the artpack for a retroarch setup and the naming was already done. Although, the thumbnails for the AFB units are small, im not sure I would want to use them personally.

A.T.A.R.I. v1.1 Update

ATARIv1.1.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like I already screwed it up. I was up late watching the neighborhood and did that pack trying to stay awake. I zipped up the leftover crap and uploaded that by mistake. 

If you downloaded it, delete the three new game packs. They are in settings/game_packs/. Delete (556) special_pack, (741) digdugnate_pack and (1119) draxxon_pack.

Here is the right file.

ATARIv1.1.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 12:11 AM, Draxxon said:

please share pictures when youre finished. also, im sure you can still use the art pack here with your project.

I can share what I have so far:

These two are of the 'adapter' that I designed and 3D printed to fit the RPi Zero in the FBX:

IMG-0174.thumb.jpg.1b71d82bd2cd280919406867241b8d85.jpg

IMG-0175.thumb.jpg.ba47fc58db0530f6741b7d6003b52393.jpg

I will still have to modify it, as I'm not sure what to do with the power port and the USB port (although I want to put the USB port through the Cartridge port).

This one shows the RPi and right controller port in:

IMG-0176.thumb.jpg.9661192c3158cffc7d2546ce017d85b9.jpg

I've placed an order for some Micro USB headers and a ribbon cable.  I can't do much else until I get them. 

Believe it or not, the thing that will be the biggest pain to me is creating the image to boot directly into Stella for the RPi.  I need to see what the latest version of Stella is available for this.

Also, I am making a list of the parts that I am using and will post them here when I am done, and I will post the .STL for the bracket shown above.

• Like 4

Shame it didn't work out...

Someday, I plan on gutting my old Atari Flashback (with A/V cable) and using it as a USB interface, with 2600-daptors for joystick ports and some way for console buttons to send keystrokes to Stella running on the Pi.

Hi guys.

So I relented and went back to the retropie image for the RPi Zero.  I changed the splash screen and made emulationstation boot right into the Atari2600.  I didn't want to use RetroPie / Emulationstation, and wanted to boot directly into Stella, but apparently that's not going to work.  It looks like the version of Stella inside of retropie is from 2014 :(

Anyway, it runs much better now, so I may just stick with this.  Still waiting for USB adapter parts to come in, so it will be a bit.

I hope this version of Stella recognizes the Paddle -> Stelladapter -> USB port connection.

Edited by PacManPlus

I have my Flashback X loaded with CFW and the game packs.  A big thank you to Draxxon and everyone involved for making this possible!!  I'm glad I found Atari as these games are wonderful.  Does anyone know of a paddle controller that will work on the Flashback X?  I purchased the Hyperkin Ranger, but the paddle doesn't seem to work on the flashback.  Their Trooper controller does and it's great.

• Thanks 1

Okay, I too got the upgrade to work without issues mostly.  Loaded the AtGames update first (this video helped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9rwmkucrw).  I then ran the FBX to be sure it was working.

In any event, I proceeded to download Brad's CFW which doesn't have a readme in it, when it probably should.  I saw the instructions in Draxx's stuff though, but ran the CFW, which copies the emulator and rom folders from the FBX to the USB.  Okay.

This next part is well, confusing.  It's more about how Draxx is posting stuff on this thread than his instructions though.  Anyway I downloaded Draxx AtariV1.1, and made a Game folder on the USB and put his set there.  Ran the FBX and it has tons of games in the Ext USB location, but there's no artwork.  So I check and realize AtariV1.1 has no artwork, which led me to question why?  So I then perused and downloaded the Theme Packs and a Game pack, blah blah, which had some of what I wanted but no artwork. 

That's when I saw that Draxx had everything under AtariV1.0, well probably TOO much LOL (1+GB!!!).  I check in there and he's got "Game Packs" which are just roms, and "Rom Packs" which have roms and artwork.  So I copy the North America rom folder to the USB, and wah laaaaah there is everything!  So I don't need anything in the "Game" folder anymore.  Draxx, I honestly don't know why you're still curating so many different game packs, just stick to the rom packs that have artwork.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Thanks 1

I gave you guys everything I had. I'm sure everyone has a storage device of multiple GBs. Put the "Settings" folder on your storage device and copy and paste whatever folders you want to use from it to the root of your device. You can run 1 or 2 or all 3 custom folders. GAME, EMULATOR and ROM folders. all the tools I use are in there. artwork by way of the art of Atari book. all the game manuals, firmware, etc.

Yeah, it was overkill. you basically have to choose what rom folder, game folder and emulator folder you want to run. It was a collection of everything we had all posted for the AFB9/X from the two threads. I'm currently taking a break from Atari 2600 and working on a similar (smaller, 300+ games) ColecoVision pack for the Legends Flashback 2019.

I hope the instructions text file helped you out a bit! The ATARIv1.1 is meant to be a base for anyone to make their own setup and packs to their own tastes or to share with others. You guys can add to it, continue the rom packs (with art), streamline it, IDC, whatever you want.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1