IGNORED

a few daisychain questions

Hello all, I have (2)  1541 drives daisychained to the c64: (out of c64, into drive 1, then into drive 2, then into printer.)  After typing a basic program, I can save and load it to the top drive 1 with no issue, but drive 2's red light blinks. 

I am guessing this is because I am "confusing" the c64 since I have seen 2 different error messages:  "device not present" and "illegal ...error".  Others have suggested I could alter the hardware, but is there another way to get the c64 to recognize both drives, so I could tell it which drive I'd like to select to load and save a program to?

And also... how do I get the bottom drive to stop flashing red, and to prevent these error messages?

Thanks

You need to do exactly what you write: You need to change the device number of one of the drives. The original 1541 series have solder pads on the motherboard that you can scratch with a screwdriver or knife so they don't bridge. It can later be restored with some solder. The newer 1541-II drives have DIP switches in the back for easier and non-invasive change.

You can also change device number entirely in software, but as soon as you power off the drive it will forget the change.

1. Turn off all drives

2. Turn on the C64

3. Turn on the drive you want to change the device number of

4. Enter the following commands:

OPEN 1,8,15

PRINT#1,"M-W";CHR$(119);CHR$(0);CHR$(2);CHR$(9+32);CHR$(9+64)

CLOSE 1

It will make this device #9 temporarily. Now you can turn on your other drive, which remains #8 like it always has.

I strongly recommend you to open one of the drives up and scratch the pads as described here or elsewhere on the Internet.

https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue50/221_2_READERS_FEEDBACK_Commodore_Disk_Drive_Device_Number_Update.php

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1