IGNORED

Suspicious seller shilling

ianoid

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/114136043168?item=114136043168

This guy speedyshipper is a reliable seller with solid stuff, who likes to do dollar starts. That's neat but he gets more than most for his stuff. I noticed he has a bidder with 503 feedback (at this moment) bidding on most of his stuff, occasionally winning it. There is no pattern to the bidding, he just bids on most everything from this seller. I suspect this is the sellers shill.

Any thoughts about this conspiracy? I guess there is nothing to be done since eBay is ineffective in enforcement for many reasons. 

It's almost like the earlier ending auctions (that ended kind of reasonably low) didn't have the shiller, then the seller panicked and started shilling. I don't know. I bought something from him as well, and although I don't think my price was dictated by the shill bidder, I thought his prices overall were outliers for the current market.

I have a friend in Germany who could look at actual bidder info. I guess they don't allow private bidders there, which probably protects more against fraud.

• 2 weeks later...

I know folks moan about ebay and by god it deserves the moaning but I just looked at some of the FS's on here and I almost had a heart attack at what people want for some stuff, sure they probably won't get it but boy is there greed out there. I'm from the days of wanting a sensible price, posting as that and happy to get it but I know every one wants as much as they can get but for a person looking on places the initial shock of the prices wanted will probably stop them from carrying on looking..

Hard one to fix...

On 3/25/2020 at 11:05 AM, Mclaneinc said:

I know folks moan about ebay and by god it deserves the moaning but I just looked at some of the FS's on here and I almost had a heart attack at what people want for some stuff, sure they probably won't get it but boy is there greed out there. I'm from the days of wanting a sensible price, posting as that and happy to get it but I know every one wants as much as they can get but for a person looking on places the initial shock of the prices wanted will probably stop them from carrying on looking..

Hard one to fix...

Care to provide specific links to the AA sale threads you are referring to please?

On 3/25/2020 at 8:05 AM, Mclaneinc said:

I know folks moan about ebay and by god it deserves the moaning but I just looked at some of the FS's on here and I almost had a heart attack at what people want for some stuff, sure they probably won't get it but boy is there greed out there.

Thing is, it is what it is.  Prices for a lot of retro systems and games have shot way up in the last several years.  I find that if I compare prices in the Marketplace here to eBay, even prices that seem high are generally still cheaper than ePay.

Are sellers really being greedy - or are they just asking what the market will bear?

Edited by ls650

In general i see good deals here compared to anywhere else. 

People will gouge to no end on ebay, but most people are going to at least try and get close to the going rates. And the last couple years a few new deep pocketed collectors have driven alot of stuff up too.

• Like 2

Nope, not going to target anyone, that's not what this is about and a look at some of the sales can be done for yourself...Things being described as rare with whopping prices when they are not rare.

Just saying that there are some people asking for a lot of money, one advert has the person slashing the price in half 3-4 times....I'm just pointing out that the ebay effect can be found here too, you can't stop people wanting as much as they can get, just saying its not only ebay where it happens, its not AA's fault, Gumtree's fault or any sites fault...Just pointing out for the last time that its not just ebay...

Does it matter to me, not really I'm poorer than a church mouse and if a person makes a huge amount, well that's fair play in truth but to get agitated because I mention AA is just silly, there's some great bargains up there on AA but there's some sillies as well so to sound alarmed when its mentioned is all a bit daft.