IGNORED

Atari 2600 in movies or TV shows

OldSchoolRetroGamer

So I was watching a cheesy horror flick Monster Shark (1984), hey it's the Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed version so that's my excuse ? when about

10 minutes in I spot a character playing, or pretending to play an Atari 2600 game. Pretty sure it's Activision SeaQuest. 

Anyways, just thought that was cool, I know there were obvious and well known examples of 2600 games appearing in shows/movies but this one caught me

off guard and I thought might be more obscure. Feel free to add your own screenshots of 2600 games or even just the console itself that you noticed in a show

or movie. ????

vlcsnap-2020-03-09-01h59m29s016.thumb.jpg.ac8e18f2edeefc1ebd5dfac4117bbe7c.jpg

• Like 6

Also, we should add those movies and shows which don't necessarily show Atari on the tv or cartridges, but show kids playing video games and you HEAR the music/sound effects of Atari games. I believe I remember Donkey Kong and Pac-Man Atari 2600 sound effects, but for the life of me will never remember what show or movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of Space Invaders sightings...

First up is the movie Best Friends from 1982.  That's Burt Reynolds about to turn off the TV, while two kids were playing.

image.thumb.png.81ea349dc9bc8bb35e5c042b41ae215d.png

Here's an odd one.  A movie from 1983 called The Creature Wasn't Nice.  Here we have Leslie Nielsen playing the game, with the screen upside down.

image.thumb.png.757c5008ffc089a3197039dd13e1ddcb.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2020 at 8:56 PM, Philflound said:

Also, we should add those movies and shows which don't necessarily show Atari on the tv or cartridges, but show kids playing video games and you HEAR the music/sound effects of Atari games. I believe I remember Donkey Kong and Pac-Man Atari 2600 sound effects, but for the life of me will never remember what show or movie.

I know there are many, many examples of this, but the only specific one that comes to mind right now is an episode of How I Met Your Mother where Ted and Marshall are playing an Xbox 360 but the sound effects are from a 2600 game (probably Pac-Man, but I don't remember for sure). Similarly, pretty much whenever I see pinball machines on screen, no matter how modern they are, the sound effects are always old school bells and chimes.

On 3/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, 0078265317 said:

Just a reminder, that is why I was specific instead of just saying ATARI in general and my first post was quite descriptive for the same reason. ....... Atari 2600 in movies or TV shows........also, I am capable of searching the forum as well. ?

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
fix
  • Like 1