IGNORED

Looking for 16k games

eegad

Looking for a list of commercial games that will run on a 16k 400.  I normally use one of my 800xl’s or my 48k 800 for my Atari gaming, but my first computer was a lowly 16k 400. It hasn’t been set up or played with since circa-1984. I was thinking of taking it out and letting it get a little use.

I know not too much will work on it, but certainly there were games out back in the 1980-1982 time period that would run, mostly cassette, but possibly a small amount of disks as well. I know I bought games for it back in the day that weren’t on cartridge.  Pogoman comes to mind. Baja Buggies. Maybe Stellar Shuttle? Looking for more that I can throw at it. Unfortunately my usual go-to for game searches, Atarimania, doesn’t list memory requirements for games…..and neither does anything else that I’ve been able to find.  (If only I had a couple of those old mail-order catalogs, because they always put memory requirements in their listings)

• Like 1

I would expect most cartridge games from 1980-1982 would run in 16K, including ones from Atari, Parker, Imagic and Thorn EMI.  

For cassettes, English Software had a number of 16K games including Air Strike, Diamonds, Dan Strikes Back and Batty Builders.  Clowns and Balloons from Datasoft was a 16K cassette game too.

Our first Atari was a 600XL with 16K so fond memories of tape games played on top of some mentioned already:

TT Racer, Match Racer, Baja Buggies, Alien Swarm, Encounter! (came with both 16K and 32K versions), Ghost Encounters / Action Quest, Sea Dragon, Stratos, Attack at EP-CYG-4, Galactic Chase, Canyon Climber, O'Riley's Mine, Zaxxon, Shooting Arcade

Plus there are the Brian Howarth and Scott Adams 16K tape versions of their adventures.

Some needed the OS/B translator but you should be able to find patched versions online.

Go for the tape versions as often the disk versions needed more memory, but you can find then as XEX versions rather than CAS and run from an SIO2xx device.

Or make a compilation of them on an AtariMax multicart. :) 

Frogger comes to mind - Online version came in 16K and 32K versions.  Also Shamus - got that on cassette BITD.

I haven't read of anyone making use of the Atarimax cart - and other flashcarts too?  With a 16K Atari 400 or 800?

I wondered if they can work with 16K machines or not?

I also wondered if any of the 16K cart titles have been patched to run on 16K machines?

It may sound odd that Star Raiders can't run on a 16K 400 from disk/flashcart.

If it was a simple matter of changing the loading and run address --- but I'll guess it's much more complicated than this?

Harvey

Depends what image they are using.

With an UNO/AVG/Ultimate style cart that can CAR/ROM images then running a title that runs in 16K or less is fine.

If it is an XEX version of a ROM then that cannot load to RAM and then relocate to the ROM area as there is no RAM there.

Some 8K games can be relocated to have their code in the top 8K of the 16K of RAM and then run in the lower 8K.

ATR images are generally out the the question as a mod'd OS is loaded in the area under the OS which again is not RAM on a 16K machine.

[Edit] Additionally the UNO/AVG type carts use their own XEX loader code copied into RAM (typically at $700).

That can conflict with the XEXs trying to be loaded as tape games would typically load from $480/$500/$600.

So a way around that is to use a compression tool (e.g. exomizer) to create a self-extracting version from this that loads at, say, $900.

Sometimes 16K versions of games are patched as XEXs but now need more that 16K to load, again compression would get around that.

Edited by Wrathchild
more info

The following Synapse Software titles are listed as 16K:

Protector II

Survivor on Cassette

Picnic Paranoia Cassette and Floppy

Necromancer cartridge

Encounter Cassette 

Drelbs cassette/cartridge

Blue Max cartdrige

Claim Jumper

Shamus was listed above already

23 minutes ago, firebottle said:

I just tried your Capture the Flag rom, and during the demo, if the flag is found the program crashes?? in Altirra (emulation is paused).

I seem to remember that way BITD when running it on my 400.  It seems to crash but the music still plays, right?

On 3/9/2020 at 12:18 PM, kiwilove said:

Frogger comes to mind - Online version came in 16K and 32K versions.  Also Shamus - got that on cassette BITD.

I haven't read of anyone making use of the Atarimax cart - and other flashcarts too?  With a 16K Atari 400 or 800?

I wondered if they can work with 16K machines or not?

I also wondered if any of the 16K cart titles have been patched to run on 16K machines?

It may sound odd that Star Raiders can't run on a 16K 400 from disk/flashcart.

If it was a simple matter of changing the loading and run address --- but I'll guess it's much more complicated than this?

Harvey

Star Raiders is an 8KB cartridge. The AtariMAX forums have a compilation for the 8Mb flashcart that includes it, I haven't tested to see if this would work on a 16KB machine.

https://atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1669

PS: I did another search on the AtariMAX forums and found the 8Mb flashcart is incompatible with the 400.

https://atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1445

Edited by BillC

4 hours ago, BillC said:

Star Raiders is an 8KB cartridge. The AtariMAX forums have a compilation for the 8Mb flashcart that includes it, I haven't tested to see if this would work on a 16KB machine.

https://atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1669

PS: I did another search on the AtariMAX forums and found the 8Mb flashcart is incompatible with the 400.

https://atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1445

So far the only confirmed game working on an Atari 400 16K machine, on a Atarimax cart - is AtariBlast! which I tested myself.

But that was only the one time I had access to one.  I am looking to buying a Atari 400 - if the price is right - probably prefer it upgraded to all the mods possible - but a stock 16K machine would do also.

Harvey

On 3/13/2020 at 4:53 PM, kiwilove said:

So far the only confirmed game working on an Atari 400 16K machine, on a Atarimax cart - is AtariBlast!

When I saw this I thought - no, how could that work on a 16k machine?  But I just tried it and it did (though it did crash once). Now I'm even more impressed with AtariBlast!

Haven't found many games that work on my 16k 400 with an sdrive-max. For cassette there's Apple Panic, Buried Treasure, Frogger, Genetic Drift, Sea Dragon and Stellar Shuttle. For disk images, there's Canyon Climber, Caverns of Mars, Chicken, Galactic Chase, Ghost Encounters, Jawbreaker2, Pinhead and Survivor.  Problem is there's a decent amount of games that were 16k on tape long ago, but either there isn't an image of the tape version available (like Pogoman), or the tape is a multi-stage load which the sdrive doesn't do well with because it doesn't pause the loading between stages (like Zaxxon & Crypts of Terror).

Oh well, at least it was fun to give my old 400 some use the past couple of weeks.